Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a pair of transition sunglasses for those rides while the sun is going down. There seem to be a lot of options but wanted to see what people here are wearing and which ones they like and why!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Had a few pairs over the years 7eye, Oakleys, and now got a pair of Ray Bans. Biggest piece of edvice is try them on and don't go cheap on the lens . I had some from a little shop i thought was good and turned out i had problems seeing out of them and head aches . Went to a big name store and they put some contraption on the glasses and then measured the distance and some other things . Paid a little more but i have 2 paires now

·
Registered
440 Posts
My prescription eyeglasses have the transitional lenses and I like them for normal usage; however, transitional lenses don't darken as much as regular sunglasses. Also, as they age they don't get as dark as when they are newer. And of course there is the delay in them darkening when you go from a not so bright situation into a very bright situation. For riding on a bright day I use the flip down dark tinted eye shield on my half helmet cause my prescription transitional lenses aren't always enough.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have Wiley X in normal and prescription lenses in both transitions. They are very clear and transition well. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wear a helmet so my lens don't work properly.
I purchased a helmet with a built in flip down sun glasses and it works great.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Another here for Wiley X. The "Brick" is the model I have. Love em

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I use Liberty Sport, they have magic fome inserts that can he changed out, I have transitions and anti-glare for night riding they look great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm a eye doc and the trasition lenses are convenient, but

1. They need UV light to change and your car windshield or polycarb helmet visor will block the UV needed to enable them to change.
2. Heat affects them, so they get sluggish on hot days.
3. Its a coating and will eventially come off.
4. The darking properties are only effective for about a year.
5. Scratches easily so needs another coating to resist scratcing.
6. Usually made with polycarb lenses so reflects a ton of light and needs another anti-reflecitve coating to compensate.
7. Now up to three coatings that will come off in time, usually in about a year.

If you want something more effective get glass photogrey lenses and all of the above do not apply. Glass is heavier so pick a frame thats a little smaller to compensate.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My wife and I both use the Transitional "Shield" with the RS1 Bell helmets = Awesome!!!! (You have to purchase it separate - well worth the money!

·
Registered
192 Posts
don't know what brand my local optometrist sells but they get dark as hell react to sunlight real fast and are about 4 yrs old . Now the bad going into dark areas they react much slower than they darken up.

Heat has no effect on mine . Or least I haven't noticed.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I just ordered a pair of Safety glasses with transitional and progressive script. This will be my 1st experience with either. My employer is paying for the glasses but I'm going to use them for work and on the bike. The order is through 3M.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
These WX's have @70k between two bikes, distance lense in one eye, from WX site via optom, don't go cheap, they've stoped a rock? at 85mph, so yes bulletproof, just a tiny dimple. Backup WXs have over 40 and not half as good but WX didn't do the work on the setting. The newer ones are fastest acting in tunnels. Night riding is a different story, who has a cure for glare??

·
Registered
487 Posts
my prescription transition lenses get very dark. there are 2 types the lighter version and the darker version. I got the darker.

2 years old and working fine.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I ordered a fairly cheap pair of Chapel transition glasses last fall - about $80. Have really liked them. Go from very dark to totally clea. No more changing to clear glasses at dusk/night. I'll see how they hold up - was an experiment - but so far very happy w them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've worn perscription transitions for a few years and really love them. I wear RayBan frames and the lenses are whatever they sell at LenseCrafters. They get pretty darned dark. Can be slow to brighten though.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I picked up a pair of Wiley X Brick Light Adjusting Climate Control based on all the good reviews they get here and on the Internet and I am very happy with them.
I was a bit skeptical on them getting dark enough in the sun but mine sure do.
I wear them whenever I'm riding and they work great during the sunny days and in the darkest of nights.
No need to carry two pairs of glasses anymore.
Mike U.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts