Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of the Progressive "Drop-In" springs (10-2003) for my 2009 RG. I'm looking to drop the front 1" to match up with the 1" drop from a set of Progessive 940 rear shocks.

I'm looking for a little help from those that have done the install on their RG.

First, what's the installation configuration for a 1" drop. There seems to be a few different answers to that question from reading the postings here and nobody seems to think the Progressive instructions are that great.

Second, what tools did you need and how did the install go? I really don't want to drop the tubes out of the bike (hence why I chose the "drop-in" approach) but it seems it's a little tight inside the fairing to get the tube caps off once you get the instrument cluster off.

Thanks in advance for your help.

J.D.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You have to drop the tubes from the bike, at least on an '11. Pretty simple install. Instructions were okay as long as you're good at turning a wrench. I used heavy fork oil to decrease the front end dip.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Second, what tools did you need and how did the install go? I really don't want to drop the tubes out of the bike (hence why I chose the "drop-in" approach) but it seems it's a little tight inside the fairing to get the tube caps off once you get the instrument cluster off.J.D.

Unfortunately the "drop-in" description is a bit of a mis-speak as you cannot simply remove the caps and drop in the springs, the tubes have to be removed to get the caps off, which means dropping the front wheel and fender.

That said, if you're going to the work anyway I highly recommend saving the extra cash and going with the the monotubes. I really like mine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That just sucks......................

So nobody has been able to drop them in with tubes still on the bike?

I'm still hoping.......................

J.D.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The ad is misleading on other hd models u can make the change but on the glide u will need to remove the forks. If u want the 1 inch drop u will need to cut the PVC spacer to place on top of the springs. I did the install this winter with chrome lower legs but chose the 2 inch drop to level my bike secondary to running a 21 inch front wheel. The install isn't had if you have some wrenching experience just take your time. I also chose the heavy fork oil to firm up the front end and help with frontend dive. I also purchased a shallow socket to remove the fork cap without removing the handlebars. Hope this helps I have pics posted in my garage of my bike with the 2 inch front and 1 inch rear drop.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I just ordered a set myself. Question is what is it thats in the way to keep you from removing the caps?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I just ordered a set myself. Question is what is it thats in the way to keep you from removing the caps?
Removing the top cap isn't the problem - removing the bars or the tank will allow access. However removing the cap won't let you remove the springs. The cap merely secures the forks to the upper tree. The cap is screwed into the top fork PLUGS ... and it's the plugs that need to be removed. The only way to remove the plug is to drop the forks. If you remove the tank, you might be able to get by with merely lowering the forks enough to get to the plug (loosen the pinch bolt, lower the fork enough to expose the plug, tighten the pinch bolt and remove the plug), but I don't think the spring will fit through the top tree.

Hopefully, these pics will give you an idea how it's bolted up.

Cap and plug:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
OK guys. Got another question. I just can't seem to get my head around this. With my RGC, if I drop it the full 2" would the bike be level or slightly nose down. Also would I need to go with a heavier oil and what do you recommend. Thanks!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I did this a ew weeks back. Best mod done so far. I removed the tubes & let the dealership remove old springs & install the new springs. Then I put the bike back together. Handles a lot better.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Just finished my chore. Took the nacelle apart to remove and the ignition switch fell apart. No telling how long it has been like that. Anyway, the switch is in several pieces and you all have heard about the tumblers in the switch. I will post some pics tomorrow showing them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The ad is misleading on other hd models u can make the change but on the glide u will need to remove the forks. If u want the 1 inch drop u will need to cut the PVC spacer to place on top of the springs. I did the install this winter with chrome lower legs but chose the 2 inch drop to level my bike secondary to running a 21 inch front wheel. The install isn't had if you have some wrenching experience just take your time. I also chose the heavy fork oil to firm up the front end and help with frontend dive. I also purchased a shallow socket to remove the fork cap without removing the handlebars. Hope this helps I have pics posted in my garage of my bike with the 2 inch front and 1 inch rear drop.
Where did you get the shallow socket from I am replacing my forks this week

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just finished wrapping up the wifes glide yesterday. Alot of questions were brought up about how much spacer for a one inch or a two inch drop. The diretions state 0" for a FLT, yrs 05 and up I believe. No spacer will provide the 2 inch drop. I added a one inch spacer to raise the fork back up an inch and walla, it lowered the front end an inch on her FLTRX. As the fork cap bolts, a 1 3/8's inch socket worked great. No issues there. My biggest concern when doiing this was some of the other members talking about not being able to access the cap bolts. Once I pulled the nacelle and dropped bars on a heavy micro fiber cloth on tank, I had no issues getting at the cap bolts. It is a long process for a non-tooler. And I recommend a second set of hands when you take the front fender off. Makes things easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts