Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been considering air on the rear. I see JNR can be ridden with no air if there's a failure. No rubbing. That'd be my biggest concern. But with that out of the way. How's the ride? Honestly. They're corvette shocks right? I'm sure it's night and day over the stock air. And should be better than the premiums. Or I'll go with the 944s. I don't know. I want it a half inch, inch lower.

I know I'll lose some cush dropping it more but that's why I'm considering air ride.

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll chime in..

11 RGC here. I have the dirty air kit. Is it better then stock air shocks? Yes. Having some adjustability on the fly is nice, especially when you hit some garbage roads like here in MI.

It does roll no problem with no air in the shocks. Although no way in hell would I ever want to ride more than 5 miles on a prefectly smooth road as it'll beat the hell out of you! I had 1 shock blow out for some unknown reason, they replaced it right away. But it did leave me with no shocks and cut the day short for a ride. I would recommend an air gauge for single and 2 up riding pressures or just count how many seconds to fill when you find the sweet spot.

Overall opinion.. it works, it looks cool when it's aired out in the back... would I do it again? Meh, I'd probably just buy some nice shocks so I would never have to worry about not having rear shocks.

Any other questions just let me know. Hope this helped.

Jeff

·
Registered
367 Posts
hey Mr Eagles fan, i removed my air shocks and went with super shox. feels way better and wife is happy more then i am.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Ran the “corvette” shocks for 3 years, hated them. Felt every bump and rode like shit. Had the regular Monroe’s and a set from dirty air. Ended up switching to airfx shocks, night and day difference. Love them. You can adjust the rebound on them and they are pretty much bullet proof. Pricey but worth it on my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey Mr Eagles fan, i removed my air shocks and went with super shox. feels way better and wife is happy more then i am.
Hey Mr Pats fan...

What brand were they? If I don't go air I'll likely get the Progressive super lows. Can I get the SS 12" or shorter?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey Mr Pats fan...

What brand were they? If I don't go air I'll likely get the Progressive super lows. Can I get the SS 12" or shorter?
super shox. not sure of your question, but google them and email him. he will answer any of your questions.

they have 10 settings for weight load/comfort.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
super shox. not sure of your question, but google them and email him. he will answer any of your questions.

they have 10 settings for weight load/comfort.
Asking if you knew if they came shorter than 12" . I'll look them up. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Gotta say i picked up a set of HD premiums from another member and i really like em, so does my ole lady, like the idea i can hand adjust them, ended up selling my progressives, and for the money you can't beat them IMO. Mine are the 12 inch version.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Asking if you knew if they came shorter than 12" . I'll look them up. Thanks.
You could also get a set of adjustable lowering blocks instead of limiting yourself to lower shocks and you can always take them off or adjust the setting if you don’t like the lower ride or you end up with a Plus size model and need the extra clearance :). And they won’t break the bank. You can even get different types for much less then these.
https://dirtybirdconcepts.com/product/harley-lowering-blocks-kit-2002-to-2018/

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Good idea NB, my buddy had them on his streetglide, didn't like it, removed them and went back to stock hieght because of a cornering issue.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotta say i picked up a set of HD premiums from another member and i really like em, so does my ole lady, like the idea i can hand adjust them, ended up selling my progressives, and for the money you can't beat them IMO. Mine are the 12 inch version.
I have them already. They came stock on the RGS. I have no issue with them. Where I'm at now is I dropped the front 1" and then put an 18" agitator on the rear with the 19" up front. The sidewall of the 18" is lower. But still taller that the 16.

You could also get a set of adjustable lowering blocks instead of limiting yourself to lower shocks and you can always take them off or adjust the setting if you don’t like the lower ride or you end up with a Plus size model and need the extra clearance :). And they won’t break the bank. You can even get different types for much less then these.
https://dirtybirdconcepts.com/product/harley-lowering-blocks-kit-2002-to-2018/
Good idea NB, my buddy had them on his streetglide, didn't like it, removed them and went back to stock hieght because of a cornering issue.
There one that works with the premium shocks. Covington makes them. I'm on the fence with it all.

Covingtons Lowering Kit Rear 1" Black Harley FL Touring Models Works with CVO Coil Over Shocks [1304-0706] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GSX57GO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YAlGAb4Q4J5Z8

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If there not alot of dead prez, i would give that a shot before i change out the shocks, do you think you will have any issues cornering?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Saw the link, not too bad, and if they don't work for ya, you can always post em up for sale.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If there not alot of dead prez, i would give that a shot before i change out the shocks, do you think you will have any issues cornering?
I think I'll be ok cornering. I'm not a very aggressive rider. I ride a lot and don't out pace my skill set. Probably under rely on it have raced hare scrambles and some motocross. But mostly coal mine roads and strippings at speeds that are not recommended. Lol. I just like to get along. Main reason I don't remotely need anything past a stage 1 for sound.

Reactions: Road dawg

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I hear ya, i ride pretty easy but on some roads upstate i like to lean that glide hard, touchdown my pegs most of the time, on on very few occasions have i touched the boards.>:)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've got this from Joesracing.com. the connector swivels, and it holds your reading until the button is pushed. You can also bleed air off by using the button. I think that they're available without the button. IMO, spend the extra money.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have been riding on the DIY setup for a lil over a year, 10K miles, I use the Gabriel shocks from autozone, after setting it up you realize how easy it is to work with, yes when air is completely out it will not rub, but it is like riding a hardtail.

Only complaint I have is I used plastic fittings, should have spent a little extra and got brass fittings, would like to get the AirFx one day but at the time an extra 600 was a little to much, other than that everything running great, I moved from Progressive 944's to this, and like the air ride a lot more than progressive.

It's just a matter of preference, wife loves the air ride because I can lower it for her to get on (she's only 5'2 with boots) I love the way it looks when lowered out I have a video I'll load so you can see the height difference, and next winter I will probably look at doing the front and adding an air tank.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts