Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And what do people do with them? Just wondering as I plan on pulling mine and throwing it on there. Hope to get what others are getting for theirs.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Dont forget, asking and sold prices are two different prices. Although i too have wondered why they sell for so much used when everybody replaces them with aftermarket head units. Maybe its to recover some money spent on the amps and speakers that they replace them with

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Not everyone replaces their stock HK with an aftermarket radio. The Hk have the best visibility in my opinion. I think I sold mine for 350.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Not everyone replaces their stock HK with an aftermarket radio. The Hk have the best visibility in my opinion. I think I sold mine for 350.
Out of curiosity what did you replace the HK with when you sold it?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
And what do people do with them? Just wondering as I plan on pulling mine and throwing it on there. Hope to get what others are getting for theirs.
HD came out with a new Hamon Kardon radio in 2006. Your 2005 Harmon Kardon is not a desireable radio for anyone that has a 2006 and later touring model. You may want to keep what you have or upgrade.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
you know you can do a search on ebay for completed listings don't you? that way you can see exactly how many sold, and for how much.

yours being so old, you are going to have a very limited target audience. you've got to find someone with a 2005 or older bike whose radio died and they are looking to replace it with oem instead of aftermarket.

oh, and it isn't a harmon kardon unit. the older units were made by radio sound.

unless of course, you have another bike that is not listed in your sig.

i wish you luck

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a Sony for mine. I guess I'll throw mine on there and see what kind of bites I get.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I removed mine from my 03 and put in a glove box. The radio sucks and I listen to my mp3 through my GPS via my Sena intercom. Also removed my amp to give me more room on the TP. Never thought of selling it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I do the same think, but with a J&M Headset. I also have XM on the GPS, and my iPhone works great thru it as well. I put this together after replacing the HK with a Sony. Now, next time the fairing comes off, the HK is going back in, and the Sony will be sold. Reason? The HK has a better clock display :D That is all I use the radio for anymore.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I bought a Sony for mine. I guess I'll throw mine on there and see what kind of bites I get.
You may want to keep the radio. That way you will have a spare radio just in case something goes wrong with the aftermarket system and if you ever sell the bike you can put the stock radio in and keep the aftermarket system. With a aftermarket system you will need new speakers, I believe the speakers & radio in the 2005 were a 4 ohm system. When HD went to the new style Harmon Kardon sound system in 2006 they went to a 2 ohm system so most aftermarket sound systems made for these bikes are 2 ohm.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Just a thought. Remember about egays fees you pay almost 10% on the sale of your radio. Don't forget they take out their fees on your cost of shipping. Paypal gets almost 4%. That's 14%

Say you get 400.00 plus 20.00 for shipping. Egay takes $42.00

Paypal gets $19.40

Total fees=$61.40

Now your left with 338.60 and you still have to pay shipping. Let's say 20.00.

You just sold your radio for $318.60 what a deal. Sell it on the forums and keep more $$$ in your pocket.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That makes good sense. Thanks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
glad I sold mine and used the money to pay for my new Sony 4100s H/U, Soche install kit to get my hand controls working. I love it. I use my Samsung Galaxy Note II thru the blue tooth and I was able to eliminate the need for a GPS or MP3 player. It all goes through my phone and there are no wires. Plus I can talk on my phone thru my stereo so long as I am not going real fast. I also see all my texts as the go across the face on my stereo. the only thing that does suck is on bright days its hard to see, but I ride a lot at night too. Its not so bad case my phone is mounted like GPS so I control my music on it.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Just a thought. Remember about egays fees you pay almost 10% on the sale of your radio. Don't forget they take out their fees on your cost of shipping. Paypal gets almost 4%. That's 14%

Say you get 400.00 plus 20.00 for shipping. Egay takes $42.00

Paypal gets $19.40

Total fees=$61.40

Now your left with 338.60 and you still have to pay shipping. Let's say 20.00.

You just sold your radio for $318.60 what a deal. Sell it on the forums and keep more $$$ in your pocket.
and thats with the hk head unit. i looked up completed auctions on the radio sound units and it seems that most are selling right around $100. if they sell at all. almost doesn't seem worth the hassle to sell through ebay for that.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
HK is one of the premium head unit/stereo makers in the world. They come stock in lots of high end vehicles. HD attaches them to crappy speakers and keeps the bells and whistles to a minimum, but I have an S-Class Mercedes that came stock with a full HK stereo system and it absolutely ROCKS!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts