Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost two years of enjoying my sweet RGU. I changed the stock bars to the heritage bars since I'm about to to a 1400 mile road trip. OMG! It's like a different bike. No more pain in the back and it just nice to seat there and control the bike effortlessly.
This is the best mod ever!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Many RG riders seem to really like the Heritage bars. I thought about them myself at one point, but decided to go with some 10" baby apes instead. Definite improvement over the stock bars as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What is the difference with the Heritage bars?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think HD should have had these bars as the bars that comes with the RGU to start with. With the heritage bars you have the correct position of a touring bike, rather than the fun but impractical "bad ass, look-at-me position with the stock bars"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Went with the Heritage style bars on my 2012 RGU yesterday, can't agree with you more GuyHD! Perfect for me on this bike!

·
Registered
301 Posts
C'mon, let's have some pics! I want to see these Heritage bars on an RGU.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I think HD should have had these bars as the bars that comes with the RGU to start with. With the heritage bars you have the correct position of a touring bike, rather than the fun but impractical "bad ass, look-at-me position with the stock bars"
my only concern is, does that put your hands in back into the wind? I freeze my hands when it's 20 and I'm riding home from work at night,on my dyna I used hand shields.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Does the year of the Heritage bars matter or are all Heritage bars the same?
You need to get "heritage style" bars for the RG, not bars off a Heritage Softail. They're in the HD catalog.... $80. Definitely a good investment of you're not into apes but need something better than stock.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So if I decide to go with the Heritage bars (PN 55864-09), I will not need a new brake line or clutch cable? Will I need the 5" wire extension kit if I run the wires internally (PN 70198-07) and a twist grip sensor kit (PN 32310-08)?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
So if I decide to go with the Heritage bars (PN 55864-09), I will not need a new brake line or clutch cable? Will I need the 5" wire extension kit if I run the wires internally (PN 70198-07) and a twist grip sensor kit (PN 32310-08)?
Stock cables work fine no extensions needed. Old sensors work fine. Great time to put new grips as left stock grip would be a bitch to get off intact.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The heritage 'style' bar was the first thing I changed on my new RGC. I traded in a heritage so I knew the difference would be substantial. The stock bars looked cool and all but I'm old enough to know looks ain't shit when you've got a muscle tension headache and your shoulders hurt for 2 days after a trip. Having had carpal tunnel release on both hands a few years ago, the right hand didn't do as well after surgery and still goes numb, if put in the wrong position. With the stock bars, the hand was numb in 10 miles - but with the higher bars pulled closer to me, the numbness doesn't kick in til about 30 miles, lmao, and by then, I'm on the road and use the cruise control.

Nothing changes but the bars - lines and cables reach just fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stock cables work fine no extensions needed. Old sensors work fine. Great time to put new grips as left stock grip would be a bitch to get off intact.
Just my experience, but the left grip came off with some twisting and pulling and I used it on my cvo road glide bars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts