Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 400 miles on the bike last weekend. On the way to work on Wednesday the bike went in to limp home mode. P0641, P1511. I caught a ride to work (only a five mile commute) and picked up the bike after. Almost got home. P0641, P1511, P0120, P1220, P220, etc....You get the idea.

The good news is it won't run for two minutes without screwing up so there should be a definitive fix. The bad news is in does not appear to be anything easy.

Just got finished putting it back together. Going to have to get it towed to the dealer.

Sigh, ever see a grown man cry?

· Another ICON
13,718 Posts
Did you try disconnecting the ECM and EFI and putting some dielectric grease on the connections?

· Registered
537 Posts
My 2009 went into the limp mode 3 times in just a couple week time. That same p1511 code or whatever it is plus a few others. I put the dielectric grease on the connector on the side of the throttle body in August of last year and not one problem since. It is sure worth a try.

· Registered
345 Posts
My bike was throwing the P1511 code last year. Running 80mph on the highway in traffic and all of a sudden it would go into limp mode. I thought for sure some wiring came apart when I put apes on and wired everything internally. The apes had been on over a year. So I took it all apart and put the CVO twist grip sensor in. I thought I fixed it.....NOPE! I looked at everything. I pulled the plug out that goes into the throttle body. All inline pins, 6 or 8 of them if I remember correctly. The bottom 2 pins had corrosion on them. I cleaned the pins and I've never had an issue since.
I used to use S100 to clean my bike. I am 100% positive that that is what was on those pins. I didn't throw all the codes you are but it was something so simple to fix but drove me ape [email protected]! trying to figure it out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
132 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the plug? Sounds like something I should check before it happens to me!

· Registered
7,522 Posts
I put 400 miles on the bike last weekend. On the way to work on Wednesday the bike went in to limp home mode. P0641, P1511. I caught a ride to work (only a five mile commute) and picked up the bike after. Almost got home. P0641, P1511, P0120, P1220, P220, etc....You get the idea.

The good news is it won't run for two minutes without screwing up so there should be a definitive fix. The bad news is in does not appear to be anything easy.

Just got finished putting it back together. Going to have to get it towed to the dealer.

Sigh, ever see a grown man cry?
What year is your bike?? What have you done to try to fix the problem?? The fix may not be as bad as as you think.

· Registered
54 Posts
I replaced the connectors on the plug behind the air cleaner as per the service bulletin. The pins were under $10. I soldered them to make sure they didn't come off, took a little emery cloth to the pins on the throttle body, added a little dielectric grease. That was last year. I haven't had the problem since.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replaced the connectors on the plug behind the air cleaner as per the service bulletin. The pins were under $10. I soldered them to make sure they didn't come off, took a little emery cloth to the pins on the throttle body, added a little dielectric grease. That was last year. I haven't had the problem since.

How do you extract the pings from the connector? The pins in the TBS look fine. I also have dielectric grease in the connector to keep moisture at bay.

Mine is a 2012 FLTRX I have:

- Checked the connector inside the fairing the connects the TGS in the handbar and validated that the green connector in the handlebar is connected tightly.
- Pulled the connection to the TBS and found no corrosion. Reinstalled with dielectric grease.
- Traced the cable from the TBS to make sure it was not pinched or frayed.
- Checked the connections at the ECM including the O2 sensor connections. All reinstalled with dielectric grease.
- Disconnected the Daymakers (since they were my only winter mod.)
- Checked the engine temp sensors and greased any connection.
- Validated the charging voltage @ 14.8v
- Made sure all battery connections were tight.
- Pulled the main fuse
- Check for anything that looked amiss in the backbone cabling and inside the fairing.

I won't be able to trailer it to the dealer until Wednesday. So if anyone has any other suggestions I will give them a look.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
What is the TBS?? There is a TCA (Throttle Control Actuator) plug on the throttle body which is located on the back of the TB, the Throttle Control Actuator is built into the TB and it is not a serviceable part.
Check the 6 wires going into the TCA plug for breaks or cracks, pull the plug and put a light coat of dielectric grease on it and plug it back in.
Clear all your DTC's before you try starting the bike, there is a sticky in the troubleshooting section telling you how to check and clear the DTC's.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Service Tech at Rubber City Harley says the ECM has gone bad and needs to be replaced. I have to drop my tuner off at the dealership so they can send that and the ECM back to Harley for a replacement. Not that this is cheap but it could have been worse.

· Registered
538 Posts
The Service Tech at Rubber City Harley says the ECM has gone bad and needs to be replaced. I have to drop my tuner off at the dealership so they can send that and the ECM back to Harley for a replacement. Not that this is cheap but it could have been worse.
It will always hurt when dealing with RC/Adventure/Rock&Roll/MadRiver - :)

What year is your bike?

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 2012 RG. Estimate is about $800. They are sending my race tuner to Harley to have it reprogrammed so I don't have to buy a new one to go with the new ECM.

This is my first time dealing with Rubber City. I have a friend who swears by them. Here in NE Ohio we have many options.

· Registered
6,713 Posts
I have a 2012 RG. Estimate is about $800. They are sending my race tuner to Harley to have it reprogrammed so I don't have to buy a new one to go with the new ECM.

This is my first time dealing with Rubber City. I have a friend who swears by them. Here in NE Ohio we have many options.
Good luck man. Hope it doesn't take too long to get it back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.