Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my parents never had any money when I was a little kid,but every year my dad would take me and my brother to our local amusement park and that was our treat for the year. they had one of those rides that goes around in circle with fire trucks, tow trucks,cars planes and bikes. that ride was the first one I would run to as a 4 year old and up and even if I had to wait,i would get on the bike that closely resembled a Harley with the metalic paint and tons of lights.

well 40 some years later I finally bought my first Harley,the one shown in my pic. sure I had several other bikes through the years from dirt bikes, 3 wheelers,quads on up to a royal star.once my kids were out of school I finally had my dream of owning a new Harley come true.we bought this for our 20th wedding anniversary.
there are times while out on a long ride to nowhere, that memoery of being a little kid on that ride at the park still brings a smile to my face.:)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I bought a Harley because no matter what motorcycle that I owned and rode, none of them were comfortable enough to take out for long distances. I had Yamahas, and Hondas, and even a Buell, but nothing ever felt "right". The Road Glide cured that problem and I can ride for hours and hours and not feel cramped or in pain.

Then again, these bikes do get cool points as an added bonus.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Harleys do have their issues. Not gonna try to pretend that they don't. But they also have soul and personality. And huge aftermarket support.

I used to sit out on my front steps on the weekends when I was a kid and watch the Hells Angels ride by all day heading to a clubhouse about 5 miles from me. Swore I would someday be riding one of those.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm 43 years old and have been riding since I was seven. Honda 50, if you were wondering. I've had a ton of motorcycles over the years but they were all lacking something. They had no soul. The others were just machines. My Road Glide has a soul, that's my reason. When you ride a Harley you become one with the bike. It feels right to be there in that moment when I ride it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
188 Posts
As a kid, I was always fascinated with motorcycles in general. I learned to ride when I was 12, and it was all downhill from there. I've ridden lots of different brands, but only owned Harleys. Sure, I got into cars and trucks as well, but the bike thing always stuck...

·
Registered
112 Posts
For the longest Time I always wanted a bike and when I turned 30 I decided I was at a point I could afford to get one. I found a Yamaha for an insane price at the local harley dealer. Figured it'd be good cause if I didn't like riding I wouldn't be out much. Well the floor manager convinced me to get a sportster and my loan rate was too good to pass so why not. Ended up falling in love with riding I bought a fat bob after that and now have a new road glide. I've ridden a few different makes and models but there is just something about harley. I even contemplated about a victory cross country; to me they are a fun bike but the little woman said it best. She said we are a harley family, they've been good to us so we stay with them. Hopefully I don't want to buy another bike for a long time but when I do I'm sure it'll be a harley

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Because even after the purchase price, the cost of all the mods, and maintenance, Its still cheaper than riding the Ol' Lady :eek: High maintenance well she is expensive :D Plus the Harley does not have a mouth to talk back, only the soothing notes out the CFR's.:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
In my teens I rode my uncle's Honds 400 4cyl supersport and his '49 Pan/Shovel....the Harley won my heart and I never looked back. We would take the Panhead appart every winter and make some changes for the next riding season....sure wish we still had it.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,964 Posts
..... why do i ride a Harley Davidson ?
... i s'pose, when you get right down to it,
.... it's something where, if'n i have to explain, the listener wouldn't likely understand anyway.
...... at least a non-Harley rider wouldn't ;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My grandfather rode, my dad rode and I've been riding motorcycles since I was a kid. I have had all kinds of bikes but always wanted a Harley Davidson and got one as soon as I could afford one. It's cheaper then therapy :)

·
Administrator
10,995 Posts
I'm with groupw

I wanted a bike , ma said no , then they divorced and I stayed with dad a couple years before moving back in with ma . First thing he did was buy me a bike , to spite her ..

This is my 44th year on a Harley , I started with a 69 SS350 Sprint , the following year I got a 71 Sporty , then a 71 FX . Then a 77 FLH and a 52 FL . I discovered the sharks in 1984 , with a late model EVO FLTC , the early 84 EVO had the shovel bottom with EVO top .. Since 1984 my daily riders have all been sharks ..

I ride because that's what I do

JtB

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Because even after the purchase price, the cost of all the mods, and maintenance, Its still cheaper than riding the Ol' Lady :eek: High maintenance well she is expensive :D Plus the Harley does not have a mouth to talk back, only the soothing notes out the CFR's.:D
Weather got you a little bored? Living dangerously? :D

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
I've always been crazy about motorcycles and have owned many different brands, I almost bought a Harley when I was 28, but the only thing I could've afforded was a Sportster, and it had a waiting list. Well about 10 years ago I was finally in a position where I could afford what I wanted, and there wasn't a waiting list. Or maybe its because pretty girls love to take a picture on a Harley. :D

Attachments

Reactions: DC-3Mek

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've always loved Harleys....I guess David Mann was my biggest influence, and the lifestyle.......and then....after working on and getting to fly DC-3's for nearly five years (ck vid below ).....what was I gonna go to.....a Goldwing....? BMW.....? HONDA......? Nah.....I don't think so.....( actually I owned three Hondas two Kawis, a Suzuki and a Briggs and Stratton...but that's for another thread! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvGBQvczUnQ

PS....I don't know what the start up issue was with #2, but it's typical Pratt & Whitney.....!

PPS David, I forgot to add that reason! LOL!!! Pretty girls like airplanes too! LOL!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have owned many different brands, rode just about all too. Not to say I didn't like any of them, most of them I did like and they all gave me the freedom feeling I needed. But the jap bikes lacked something, maybe character, whatever. The German bikes felt quirky, maybe they have changed. The Italian bikes had what I wanted, but lacked reliability and ease of ownership.
Anyway, I have been on Harley's since 1995 and I expect to continue on them, unless the quality issues I have complained about in other posts continue on that downward trend.
Then again, time is catching up with me and I don't think I'll be on two wheels much longer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honest answer is because I can. I have owned many other bikes over the years, Harleys, Hondas, Yamahas, BMWs and as a matter of fact still do but they all different and each one does something the others won't. My 15 RGS takes me places in comfort just short of a cage and it is best for when I just want to enjoy the ride. I consider myself lucky to have options these day, years ago an 883 was only transportation rain or shine and looking back those days just weren't all that bad.

Thank God we live in a country where its all possible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got my Honda 50 at 9 years old, then Yamaha dirt bikes, then Kawasaki street bikes because they were fast and the Shovelheads in '78 weren't very dependable, but when you get your first Harley you get the whole HD family. I've rode all over the country making friends and been invited to stay at their houses over and over, then there's the bike weeks and the girls will take their shirts off and give an old man a thrill, so there is really no better ride as they have the look, the sound, and the family.

Every time it's down I do think about that Honda F6B, but you can't put beer in those saddlebags?

·
Administrator
10,995 Posts
Oh the Shovels were dependable , we just had to work on them more ..

One hour ride , two hours maintenance

JtB

1 - 20 of 114 Posts