Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rode my scoot to my favorite blues bar tonight. Behind the main building they have a gorgeous court yard with a big tree growing up in the middle of it. Bar and stage and seating for about 200. Open air, smoke em if you got em. Consistently excellent food (especially the Cajun influenced entrees). I got to listen to one of my favorite regional blues bands for 3 hours - for a $5.00 cover. Then at 10:00, I got to take the 30 minute ride home on the 2 lane at 65, just a crankin' me some Neil Young's Freedon album wearing just a T-shirt and jeans. It was 73 degrees, and all the old blue hairs are in bed.

Not trying to gut punch you northerners, I was one of you most of my life. Just saying how moving from the Maine/Canada border to SW Florida was one of the smarter things I've done in my life, by far, and tonight was one of those times that reminded me of that. Hope you all get to find your 'special place' when you retire.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I hear you. After growing up in colder NZ, and living 20+ years in the cold and grey UK, this is actually why i love living in coastal Australia now. Six months of the year, I can I park the bike at the beach on the way home from work, rip off the leathers, have a dip in the bay, ride home the last coupla miles and air dry.... bliss

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Where are you down there again Kevin? Neverdone is snowbirding in the Lakeland area now. I don't see Him on here much anymore.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I moved from Minnesota down to North Central Florida, a bit North of Tampa. While the recent weather has been darn near perfect for riding, when the summer heat rolls in, I still don't complain except for those few times I end up stuck in stopped traffic. As long as I'm moving, the heat and humidity is never an issue.

·
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Where are you down there again Kevin? Neverdone is snowbirding in the Lakeland area now. I don't see Him on here much anymore.
I'm in Port Charlotte on the gulf coast, which is about halfway between Ft. Myers and Sarasota. Lakeland would be about a 2 hour ride northeast from here. Lakeland is inland near the center of the state.

·
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then come July, August, your cursing the heat lol. I lived in Lakeland for a little while. Stupid hot and humid.
I agree that the summers are too hot, but at least if you're near the coast you often have breezes that help make it tolerable. Summers here are all about central air and swimming pools. I do more riding in the late afternoons, evenings here during the hot months.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Then come July, August, your cursing the heat lol. I lived in Lakeland for a little while. Stupid hot and humid.
Ill take 3 months of sunny 🌞 hot weather over 4 months of snow and cold any day. I can still ride in the dead of summer. What can you do in the dead of winter ? I guess that's why bowling is so popular in the North .:)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I lived in Melbourne '93-'98. The first two years were OK. After that, and one hurricane, I was more than ready to get back to Tennessee. I have a T shirt I bought at The Dragon that says "Ride Florida, 11 curves in 318 miles." Very true, the riding there sucks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just came back from riding in Fla winter riding is nice no argument there..Its kinda like New York city in a warmer climate. Traffic is ridiculous get off the slab and traffic lights as far as the eye can see. This is so. Fla I speak of.I know there are sections of Fla that are still somewhat open. But its been 40 yrs since I worked down there and the population is crazy. Still like to visit in winter months you can keep the summer with heat and bugs.
Guess the guys down there come north in the winter to ride in comfort

·
Registered
733 Posts
Spent 16 days in FL in August after hurricane Charlie on storm recovery Started work in Daytona and finished up in Port Charlotte. 80 degrees and 80% humidity at 5 AM every morning. Just went up from there. No see ums dining on your blood all day and night. Nice place to visit in March, I'll deal with the snow the rest of the time. If you ride year round, when do you tear the scoot down for those winter mods?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I came from Minnesota to retire in Naples and became a Florida resident. It's great here most of the time but I do spend 4 or 5 months back in Minnesota for the prime riding. The topography is not the most interesting to ride but it is wonderful to have those many 70 degree evenings to ride in February and March.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I'm in Port Charlotte on the gulf coast, which is about halfway between Ft. Myers and Sarasota. Lakeland would be about a 2 hour ride northeast from here. Lakeland is inland near the center of the state.
I have a friend in your neck of the woods. Met him via HDF a long time ago when He lived in Ohio.

I lived in Orlando many years ago and did some work in Lakeland for a few months when needed. I know right where that is.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Unless you live in or around San Diego, you have several months of the year that are going to provide uncomfortable to impossible riding conditions. I hate the cold, I hate the upper 90s and 100s we get around here in the summer but our cold is not really cold and though I love riding in CA, I ain’t moving!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts