Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I could have sworn I had a middle finger emojii somewhere!!

It's 12° here, going down to -10° tonight and we got more snow last night.
🖕
When you open smiles. Scroll down some. its 3 to the left of the ring and lips emojii

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I moved here in 1995 from Jersey, 8min from Philly. I worked outside and the heat and humidity from April thru september sucks ass. Last year my bike didn't make it out of the garage but a handful of times during those months. Heat and humidity takes the fun out of it for me. Ill stay around my pool during that time.
My wife works in a hospital and during those months the amount of people that come in due to the heat is crazy. Guys that work outside all the time, know how to hydrate, get hit the hardest. Heat stroke is no joke. I guess if your retired its different but when you have to work in that stuff day after day it wears you down
Last summer while cutting the grass I get real dizzy and had to come inside. First time that has happened to me. That didn't happen when I was in NJ

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
What’s the best side of Tennessee, East? Tennessee is on my short list of states to retire to.
Anywhere from the I-65 corridor and east. The further east the higher the hills until you hit the Smoky Mountains

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
" I have a T shirt I bought at The Dragon that says "Ride Florida, 11 curves in 318 miles." Very true, the riding there sucks.
[/QUOTE]

I generally agree that most everything here in the southern part of the state is flat and boring to ride, but at least we're still able to ride while your only thinking about it! Riding here is more about riding to a destination rather than the ride itself. Of course I'd put the scenery on the ride down Rte 1 through the keys up against the beauty anyway in the country.

·
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just came back from riding in Fla winter riding is nice no argument there..Its kinda like New York city in a warmer climate. Traffic is ridiculous get off the slab and traffic lights as far as the eye can see. This is so. Fla I speak of.I know there are sections of Fla that are still somewhat open. But its been 40 yrs since I worked down there and the population is crazy. Still like to visit in winter months you can keep the summer with heat and bugs.
Guess the guys down there come north in the winter to ride in comfort
That's always an option .....

·
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Spent 16 days in FL in August after hurricane Charlie on storm recovery Started work in Daytona and finished up in Port Charlotte. 80 degrees and 80% humidity at 5 AM every morning. Just went up from there. No see ums dining on your blood all day and night. Nice place to visit in March, I'll deal with the snow the rest of the time. If you ride year round, when do you tear the scoot down for those winter mods?
Your "winter mods" are our "summer mods".

·
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
" .... My wife works in a hospital and during those months the amount of people that come in due to the heat is crazy. Guys that work outside all the time, know how to hydrate, get hit the hardest. Heat stroke is no joke. I guess if your retired its different but when you have to work in that stuff day after day it wears you down
Last summer while cutting the grass I get real dizzy and had to come inside. First time that has happened to me. That didn't happen when I was in NJ
I fully admit to spending more time in my pool than riding during the height of summer ..... but the fact remains that if I want to ride I can, and do ..... except I do less of it and usually ride in the mornings or evenings to avoid the worst of the heat.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
" I have a T shirt I bought at The Dragon that says "Ride Florida, 11 curves in 318 miles." Very true, the riding there sucks.
I generally agree that most everything here in the southern part of the state is flat and boring to ride, but at least we're still able to ride while your only thinking about it! Riding here is more about riding to a destination rather than the ride itself. Of course I'd put the scenery on the ride down Rte 1 through the keys up against the beauty anyway in the country.
[/QUOTE]

Only once you get to the Keys. I prefer to go down the center of the state, around Lake Okeechobee, through Homestead.

It is a great January ride and the Keys are not that crowded.

·
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Only once you get to the Keys. I prefer to go down the center of the state, around Lake Okeechobee, through Homestead.

It is a great January ride and the Keys are not that crowded.
[/QUOTE]

We've had two "Meet and Greet" rides based in the Sebring area and have ridden in the Lake O area that you refer to. Hopefully you'll be able to join us sometime.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've been in Florida since 1967 and there are quite a few windy roads out in the national forests. Any big city is going to be shit for traffic, but outside of them makes for great riding all year round down here.

And as for the heat...hay, that's just a good excuse to stop for a beer..

·
Registered
160 Posts
What’s the best side of Tennessee, East? Tennessee is on my short list of states to retire to.
East TN has some of the most beautiful scenery and riding roads in the country. Head east into the Smokies in western NC, south into the Georgia mountains, or north into southwestern VA or into KY and you got more roads to ride than you'll ever have time to get to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rode my scoot to my favorite blues bar tonight. Behind the main building they have a gorgeous court yard with a big tree growing up in the middle of it. Bar and stage and seating for about 200. Open air, smoke em if you got em. Consistently excellent food (especially the Cajun influenced entrees). I got to listen to one of my favorite regional blues bands for 3 hours - for a $5.00 cover. Then at 10:00, I got to take the 30 minute ride home on the 2 lane at 65, just a crankin' me some Neil Young's Freedon album wearing just a T-shirt and jeans. It was 73 degrees, and all the old blue hairs are in bed.

Not trying to gut punch you northerners, I was one of you most of my life. Just saying how moving from the Maine/Canada border to SW Florida was one of the smarter things I've done in my life, by far, and tonight was one of those times that reminded me of that. Hope you all get to find your 'special place' when you retire.
It sounds really nice I had an interesting conversation in 2017 I was at the Harley Museum in Milwaukee sitting at the family table with my wife a guy and his wife and two kids came in and sat down it was September he said he was from Appleton Wisconsin and just moved back from Florida I was upset because the riding season was coming to an end he said he lived in Florida for five years took his motorcycle down with him and rode it everywhere work, the grocery, hardware store for nuts and bolts,He said he realized that he had lost the joy of riding. Said that living in Wisconsin not being able to ride for five months out of the year allowed him to have two Christmases a year. Made me realize I like Florida I visit Florida but I ride the Midwest And we leave our bikes in winter storage. Maybe after I retire I’ll change my mind but like you say finding the right place is important

21 - 40 of 90 Posts