·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A stabilizer system for my Roadglide?

I mean don't you/they or have been taught? TO
check your wheel bearing And your Swing Arm bearings
EVER SINGLE TIME a rear tire replaced?

And how are you checking the Swing Arm with it Nutted Up with a Brace?

Ant it just masking up, or is it a Crutch for your limpness?

Energy has to transfer, what is being Stressed or released
to in its place.

I hear some 'Riders say they can feel the added vibration
on the straight aways.....thru the frame
Don't see many keeping up with us loaded and 2-up in the switches
Or sweepers

are the stabilizer more like a back brace?
Once bitten twice shy?

Didn't they do away with bushings '03 and up?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why wood eye even consider it, coming from you reds, I don't know if that's rhetorical or a real question. >:) I'll stay tuned for the responses.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Personally since they went with the new frames and motor mounts in 09 I don't know why you would even consider the stabilizer. If you want to stiffen it up some in the swing arm area, use the Glide Pro bushings and that will take out what slack you may find when the belt tugs on the swing arm. The motor mounts and hiem style motor supports do a really good job of keeping the motor alignment in place. The weak point being the swing arm. Since I put the Ohlin shocks on the back of mine, going over double the speed thru sweepers is a piece of cake. No bobble, no correcting, just stays planted on the correct line chosen thru the corner and the exit is smooth as glass.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Personally since they went with the new frames and motor mounts in 09 I don't know why you would even consider the stabilizer. If you want to stiffen it up some in the swing arm area, use the Glide Pro bushings and that will take out what slack you may find when the belt tugs on the swing arm. The motor mounts and hiem style motor supports do a really good job of keeping the motor alignment in place. The weak point being the swing arm. Since I put the Ohlin shocks on the back of mine, going over double the speed thru sweepers is a piece of cake. No bobble, no correcting, just stays planted on the correct line chosen thru the corner and the exit is smooth as glass.
Reds got a 03.
I never had any problems with the oem set up on my past Evo Ultra's. I always rode them like baggers , and not like Ninja's.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The new frame didn't change the important thing; the engine's still missing a rear stabilizer, which means that the swingarm will still move laterally when laying over in a sweeper under power. A True-Track will keep the rear of the motor/transmission in place and nearly eliminate the movement that gets the swingarm moving side-to-side.

Good shocks certainly help, but push the bike hard enough and it'll still wobble.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why wood eye even consider it, coming from you reds, I don't know if that's rhetorical or a real question. >:) I'll stay tuned for the responses.
Oh, there will be a 'firepit Keeper (from my Sailor' days), indeed.
after or in between.

Retoilit able? What dat, and why woodya take it back out.....try flushing twice......., Hollywood? ? sht

So if the Service Mgr comes back & says
" your Swing Arm bearing are fine" how did they figure so fast?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new frame didn't change the important thing; the engine's still missing a rear stabilizer,

Good shocks certainly help, but push the bike hard enough and it'll still wobble.

Still no get it? The stabilizer holds no true weight (w tf that is)
I understand the lateral force, the bolted shocks support the Swing Arm and provide the rail affect in motion
Guess I am asking "aren't the bearing design for race (pun)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Still no get it? The stabilizer holds no true weight (w tf that is)
I understand the lateral force, the bolted shocks support the Swing Arm and provide the rail affect in motion
Guess I am asking "aren't the bearing design for race (pun)
Not sure what you're getting at. Of course they don't hold weight. And of course you disconnect it to check the swingarm bushings.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what you're getting at.
Guess what Iam getting at, auuuu
The rubber type Isolators act like bushings (sacrificial)
So ya take the plastic chrome plugs out to see if there's
any distortion? As an early waring sign?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yeah, you could do that, but I wouldn't worry about that until 50,000 miles or so. I rode my FLHTK awfully hard, and at my last service (48,xxx or so) everything looked fine.

Theoretically your swingarm bushings should last longer if you've installed a True-Track, as they're taking less lateral loading.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Maybe it's just me being me, but I'd get the bike upright in a chock that way both sides are loaded evenly. When I check mine, I put a jack under the frame, strap the bike down, get the rear tire off of the lift table, and see how far each way I can deflect the bushings by hand. Not exactly scientific, but....

I don't have the manual handy, but does it spec a replacement interval?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Maybe it's just me being me, but I'd get the bike upright in a chock that way both sides are loaded evenly. When I check mine, I put a jack under the frame, strap the bike down, get the rear tire off of the lift table, and see how far each way I can deflect the bushings by hand. Not exactly scientific, but....

I don't have the manual handy, but does it spec a replacement interval?
My 2013 manual does not give a replacement interval or specification for needing replacement. At least not that I could find. On,y instructions on how to replace.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Most install so called stabilizers because the internet said they needed them. After market people do a great job of selling you on a product you do not need.
Never need one on any of mine. But If You search the net , you will find your are going to die if you don't buy one right now.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought our '03 bearings were racing out, back @60k, doing the 25' at 45\ around freshly paved Crescent Lake going to Forks,Wa
Felt like a wobble, but my front was steady, definitely the rear being kicked. The rock Gaurd has a rivited metal stiffener tire side. One of the rivits popped and was chewing into my Metzler side edge. ESP said it wasn't caused damage. They did offer another? It's been without since.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe it's just me
I don't have the manual handy, but does it spec a replacement
interval?
Part of this Thread is the QuesTion....it's a critical torque (both sides) there is a few pages in my manual how to replace n such.
Obviously, no mention for us lay folk of any other determination.
Like, if the tightness is fine, the bearings are fine?

Inant claiming ignorance, I mean you can waste a buzz fingerin
thru "fix my hog"

Do the Dealers check when....every tire change, sprocket or belt.....or when the fk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most people that say you don't need a stabilizer or it doesn't do anything, most likely don't push their bike suspension to its limit or beyond.

I ride mine like I stole it, so adding a stabilizer and upgraded swing arm bushing did increase the stability and improved the handling characteristics of my bike. But only you can decide if your riding style would benefit from these upgrades.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Most people that say you don't need a stabilizer or it doesn't do anything, most likely don't push their bike suspension to its limit or beyond.

I ride mine like I stole it, so adding a stabilizer and upgraded swing arm bushing did increase the stability and improved the handling characteristics of my bike. But only you can decide if your riding style would benefit from these upgrades.
Fair enough. I get wobble every time I ride the thing.....Some days worse than others. Bike only has 5,xxx miles on it, and I went through the alignment procedure when I got it home.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Both on side stand, about 2 Mos apart
1,000 mi, no wobble or the dareded tire slide, or banging thr bottom with a twist as she says
Did you guys see the video on YouTube where the guy is replacing his front motor mount? He loosens up the swing arm nuts and wraps a tie strap around the engine and connects to each side of the crash bar and pulls it forward , then installs the front motor mount, then tightens up the swing arm bolts and takes the ties strap off. He says it re-centers the engine.

https://youtu.be/zAhGfW9S8jg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts