Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I designed some bars and sent them to BR Custom Cycles. After two weeks I got them back. In one word - impressive. The quality is great, and the bars were built just like the ones I sent him. I extended the wires, and Im waiting on a brake line, and clutch as well as finishing painting the bars to match the bike. I re-installed the bars to check the fit, and they feel great. I cant wait to see this project thru.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got the wires ran thru last night. This turned out to be a task in itself. Ive ran wires thru bars before, but this was my first TBW. So, there was alot of wires, a sharp bend, and the bars are stepped down to 1" for the risers. It was tight to say the least. Props to BR bars for their clean edges inside the bars. After all the pulling and tugging I didnt loose any material from my wires.

The sequence that worked for me:
Use a vaccum to pull a small string thru the bars.
Attach a 14 ga wire to string and pull thru.
Pour dishwashing soap in the bars.
Attach 14 ga to wire bundle with electrical tape, leaving about 6" of 14 ga to overlap and tape with second run of taping.
Starting with Throttle side of bars, pull both TBW and handle bar controls together.
Finish by pulling clutch side control wires thru

I had to cut my pins off my wires. I couldnt get them to bend tight enough to make it thru the bars. Anyone know the part number for the pins? (08 RG)

·
Registered
525 Posts
+1, those are Great! More pictures, more pictures!!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Those are some WIDE beach bars!! How is it when you turn sharp, are you able to keep ahold of both bars okay?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I got the wires ran thru last night. This turned out to be a task in itself. Ive ran wires thru bars before, but this was my first TBW. So, there was alot of wires, a sharp bend, and the bars are stepped down to 1" for the risers. It was tight to say the least. Props to BR bars for their clean edges inside the bars. After all the pulling and tugging I didnt loose any material from my wires.

The sequence that worked for me:
Use a vaccum to pull a small string thru the bars.
Attach a 14 ga wire to string and pull thru.
Pour dishwashing soap in the bars.
Attach 14 ga to wire bundle with electrical tape, leaving about 6" of 14 ga to overlap and tape with second run of taping.
Starting with Throttle side of bars, pull both TBW and handle bar controls together.
Finish by pulling clutch side control wires thru

I had to cut my pins off my wires. I couldnt get them to bend tight enough to make it thru the bars. Anyone know the part number for the pins? (08 RG)

Check Drag Specialties for deutsch connector pins >>> http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/5/125/7714165

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the pins from the motorco. Bars are wired and working. I fired it up yesterday.

As for the width of the bars, they measure 41". I can see the concern with holding the grips while slow speed maneuvering, as it will take a getting use too, but it is something I can do. BR ended up naming the bars 'Bus Bars' because of their relation to a bus steering wheel. Its extreme and not for everyone, but I didnt have these built for everyone. On a positive note, there are no blind spots with the mirrors anymore!!!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Its extreme and not for everyone, but I didnt have these built for everyone.
Thats what customizing motorcycles is all about man,.. not to please anyone but yourself. If other people like it, thats only icing on the cake :D

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the bars finished. I went back and painted them black, along with my speaker grills. Seems like the right choice. I was able to put down some miles yesterday.
The ride report:
The bars are very comfortable, which will make putting down miles effortlessly.
There are no blind spots in the mirror, which is huge over the stock set up.
My hands are in the wind and funnel some wind on my torso, which during our humid summers will be great.
All in all, I feel it blends form and function, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldnt change anything.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

I got my seat back yesterday. I had the perforated vinyl replaced with carbon fiber and added orange top stitch to make it pop. Now Im waiting on my TP backrest, and rider backrest, which will be matched.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
beached bars?

Sincecrazy I wasn't crazy bout the bars in the development stages, then the red but now that they're black...you got them ROCKIN' nice....
They look GREAT! well done

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am glad that you went with the black bars instead. It shows off the bars much better. The whole setup is extremely unique. GOOD JOB!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I like thre bars in black much better also, personally, I wasn't real crazy about the orange, but hey whatever makes YOU happy is all that matters.

Definitely a unique Road Glide, that is for sure.

I like it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts