Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a few years of talking about it, saying we would do it, then postponing it, she finally agreed to do it. We are driving the bike to Alaska this September. We will be leaving from Northern Michigan and traveling through Canada and will eventually end up in Fairbanks, AK. She will join me on the ride there and will fly back to FL once we tour AK. I will journey back solo. Extremely excited and will be putting together the tentative plan to get from A to B. :grin:

For those who have done it, I am open to advice and suggested stops along the way.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have not driven into Alaska, but I travel way up north here in British Columbia often enough to know that September is a roll of the dice for weather - expect the unexpected. Heck, we just had snow here in the south of the province on our mountain highways - in June. October 1st has mandatory snow tires here in our Province.

Have a good set of chaps - keep them long, let them bunch up at the boot. Rain gear - definitely have a good set. Extra boots or plastic bags for your feet if your boots get soaked through. Fill up when you see a gas station. Plan your stays, some small towns may only have a few places to stay and they may be booked.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
I would watch Shrug's Alaskapade video.. I believe it could help you out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So after a few years of talking about it, saying we would do it, then postponing it, she finally agreed to do it. We are driving the bike to Alaska this September. We will be leaving from Northern Michigan and traveling through Canada and will eventually end up in Fairbanks, AK. She will join me on the ride there and will fly back to FL once we tour AK. I will journey back solo. Extremely excited and will be putting together the tentative plan to get from A to B. :grin:

For those who have done it, I am open to advice and suggested stops along the way.

You should definitely get one of those gas cans that fits in the back of a saddlebag. Saved me on a trip. They hold a gallon of gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
604 Posts
we go north in late july-last summer was prince George.a couple of us will probably go to anchorage next july right before shark week

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would watch Shrug's Alaskapade video.. I believe it could help you out.
I have been watching bits and pieces. This is what made me push the wife to move forward on doing the trip.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been several times on Harleys , first in 1979 , will go again ..
September is way to late in my opinion , should be leaving about right now ...
Really only a couple months window ..

get a copy of the milepost for starters

I cannot go anytime earlier as I have a campground that is open till just after Labor Day. Thus, I leave early Sept. So when I look at the average temps and it is telling me that is will be between 60-70 during the day and 40-50 at night is wrong?

I will lookup the "milepost"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should definitely get one of those gas cans that fits in the back of a saddlebag. Saved me on a trip. They hold a gallon of gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love this! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Two friends have made that trip thru Canada across to the ALCAN and north to AK, they rode Street/Trail Jap bikes and glad they did as the snows came on in September. Tires and other small items get to be problematic so make certain are in A-1 condition when leave out or allow for extra days awaiting pieces. Riding a HD when there is rough weather is also problematic, I crossed Wolf Creek Pass on US 160 in a running snowstorm on a '03 RK Standard with a 88CI and the wife aboard, not the best experience but did not drop it.

Less rough mountain passes across the Northern US but not the scenery either. Drove the old ALCAN when gravel, is reported as fully paved now so less damage to tires and worries of slung rocks from passing machines. Gas becomes your enemy, fill up at EVERY decent stop regardless 2-4 gallons, you will thank yourself for that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Two friends have made that trip thru Canada across to the ALCAN and north to AK, they rode Street/Trail Jap bikes and glad they did as the snows came on in September. Tires and other small items get to be problematic so make certain are in A-1 condition when leave out or allow for extra days awaiting pieces. Riding a HD when there is rough weather is also problematic, I crossed Wolf Creek Pass on US 160 in a running snowstorm on a '03 RK Standard with a 88CI and the wife aboard, not the best experience but did not drop it.

Less rough mountain passes across the Northern US but not the scenery either. Drove the old ALCAN when gravel, is reported as fully paved now so less damage to tires and worries of slung rocks from passing machines. Gas becomes your enemy, fill up at EVERY decent stop regardless 2-4 gallons, you will thank yourself for that.

Thank you for the information. I rode my bike from MI to Glacier National Park 2 years ago. I ran into snow and freezing temps and the bike ran perfect with no issues. I do plan on getting new tires prior to the trip as I am do for some anyway. (been waiting on purpose) I have heard about filling up the gas from everyone and I am going to listen! I am also going to order that saddlebag tank as well. I may order two for balance. :grin:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I carry a qt can all the time. But it's really in case someone else forgets about reserve. I have a close friend that has done it twice on a goldwing. Coming home on the second trip, a semi passed him and blew him off the road. Spent a month in the hospital. Now that it's paved shouldn't be as bad. Electric gloves and jacket liner would be a good idea. Leather pants or bibs rather than chaps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,692 Posts
The weather can change fast , you are pretty much unsupported once you cross into Canada .. A spot tracker or something similar is a good idea .. Some also rent sat phones , as cell phone coverage is pretty much non existent or spotty at best . Some areas the sat phone is iffy ...

Call me cautious or crazy if u like , still think it's not wise leaving so late ...

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
September is late, but doable.
Bake in schedule flexibility.
Booking hotels in advance can be a drag as you may not get to a particular planned stop and you still get soaked for the night. You also may want to ride further in any given day,
Get a Reda gas can. I gave away more gas than I used.
Get a tire plug kit and learn how to use it.
Bring emergency camping gear. If you break down in BC or the Yukon, you might not see any other vehicles for hours.

Give me a shout if you want to discuss.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts

Every time I read one of your posts......I am transported back to my youth where I spent summers on Big Twin Lake in Kalkaska MI and a big night for us was when we "went into town" which was Mancelona - Learned how to ride dirt bikes when I was 5 years old up there, water ski and even snow mobile when we went back a few times in the winter - Best years of my life........

Oh yeah, cool trip man.....I am just stuck on Amnesia Lane thinking of Big Twin Lake

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Every time I read one of your posts......I am transported back to my youth where I spent summers on Big Twin Lake in Kalkaska MI and a big night for us was when we "went into town" which was Mancelona - Learned how to ride dirt bikes when I was 5 years old up there, water ski and even snow mobile when we went back a few times in the winter - Best years of my life........

Oh yeah, cool trip man.....I am just stuck on Amnesia Lane thinking of Big Twin Lake

Very funny! I am always amazed on how many people know where Mancelona is. I lived in Gaylord in grade school and never heard of it. Not until I purchased the campground here did I even know it existed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
September is late, but doable.
Bake in schedule flexibility.
Booking hotels in advance can be a drag as you may not get to a particular planned stop and you still get soaked for the night. You also may want to ride further in any given day,
Get a Reda gas can. I gave away more gas than I used.
Get a tire plug kit and learn how to use it.
Bring emergency camping gear. If you break down in BC or the Yukon, you might not see any other vehicles for hours.

Give me a shout if you want to discuss.

Expect a shout!

I appreciate any and all advice in preparing for the trip. I am building in about 4.5 per day to get there as my wife will be with me on the way up. Gives us room to add or skip hours per day as needed. On the way back, I am completely flexible as she will be flying back for work. I get to drive as much as I want per day or just hang and wait for the snow to melt. :grin:

I did not think about a tire patch kit. I will put on the list. I know you said tent, but even if it is hours before a another car comes by, no way is my wife getting in a tent, no chance, no how.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts