Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anyone try these bars? I read that all stock cables and wires wor fine. Only the clutch cable needs rerouting. Here's a pic I found. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 RGU vivid black
1,595 Posts
I think there's a bunch of us running those bars. There really easy to wire and yes the only thing you have to do is reroute the clutch cable. Their really comfortable in my opinion. Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Wheel Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
790 Posts
I love mine, but wish I would have went 14. The angle at the bottom is a perfect fit for the road glide and they are super comfortable. I did the 12" because I didn't want the added cost/PITA with the new cables. They are very comfortable, but in hindsight I would have done the 14" and changed the cables.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I love mine, but wish I would have went 14. The angle at the bottom is a perfect fit for the road glide and they are super comfortable. I did the 12" because I didn't want the added cost/PITA with the new cables. They are very comfortable, but in hindsight I would have done the 14" and changed the cables.

Ditto, on all of it. Love mine too, but wish I had gone 14"

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'm only looking for an increased height of a couple of inches while retaining a similar hand position.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Post some pics of the install if ya don't mind.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Stopped by the dealer. Showed service pics of the 12" Outlawz with stock cables. He said the appeared stretched and would not recommend doing it without some extension, especially the brake cable. I told him I may just go with the 10" then, or if I'm going to need extensions, may as well go 14". Not sure I want to break the bank though. :-(

·
Registered
2012 RGU vivid black
1,595 Posts
Same here roadie13 I wish I had went with 14s. Hey crazyhog I have a 2012 ultra and I've had the bars for over a year and I don't know what the dealer is talking about cuz the brake line is plenty long

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I think I may try an independent v twin shop. Stealer also said, 5-6 hours if I kept the cable/wires and possibly up to 12 with extensions, depending on the difficulty to wire through the bar. Ex. Yaffe bagger bars. They hate doing those bars and usually quote 12 hours!!!

·
Registered
2012 RGU vivid black
1,595 Posts
These bars were really simple to pull the wires through IMO I think it took me about 3 hours total to install mine. I did buy the SE TBW to make it a little easier and it's a good idea to go ahead and replace your bushing while your at it. My biggest concerns were the plugs but after reading on here and watching a utube video they are easy to take apart and put back together one thing I did was take a bunch of pics of plugs and wires cuz all it takes is getting one in the wrong hole to mess up your day

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was going to do the 12's but with all the comments about 2" taller, looks like I'm doing 14's, just trying to decide on the Outlawz or Carlini Pist. Just trying to justify spending the extra $$$ on the Carlinis.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I finished my install yesterday. We took our time and probably have six hours into the install, wiring the bars internally. There is plenty of brake and clutch cable with no stretching. I still need to make some fine tuning adjustments to the controls but the heavy lifting is over.

image by Maineiac508, on Flickr

image by Maineiac508, on Flickr

·
Registered
790 Posts
These bars were really simple to pull the wires through IMO I think it took me about 3 hours total to install mine. I did buy the SE TBW to make it a little easier and it's a good idea to go ahead and replace your bushing while your at it. My biggest concerns were the plugs but after reading on here and watching a utube video they are easy to take apart and put back together one thing I did was take a bunch of pics of plugs and wires cuz all it takes is getting one in the wrong hole to mess up your day
Yep, taking good notes and pictures is priceless and plenty of help to be found. Pulling the wires was a bit of a pain, but well worth the money saved by not paying the stealer. After having one under my belt doing more would be easy.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Same bars I'm running on my 13 RGU. Your dealer is just trying to generate revenue. Did the install myself, no wire extensions and used stock cables. 15k miles with no issues. I like them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Damn. My check engine light is on. I ran diagnostic codes and googled them. Most of the guys who had the exact same codes also changed their bars. It looks like the green connector on the twist grin sensor is the culprit 9 times out of 10.

Time to pull the fairing off again and snake the TBW cable out and replaces the twist grip sensor. Crap.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Damn. My check engine light is on. I ran diagnostic codes and googled them. Most of the guys who had the exact same codes also changed their bars. It looks like the green connector on the twist grin sensor is the culprit 9 times out of 10.

Time to pull the fairing off again and snake the TBW cable out and replaces the twist grip sensor. Crap.
I always use some heat shrink tubing on the green connector so it won't pull apart on install. I've done a few sets of bars and so far no problems. Or you can always spring for the SE TBW.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi, well I decided to gibe Wild Ones a call. Sure enough they said you don't need any extensions of any kind for their 12" Outlawz, just as all of you have said. So, I'm either going to have a talk with the Service Mgr about this or I may just go with Cycle Visions 2 plus bars and have the wiring done externally. Service quoted me 5 to route the bars internally on the Outlawz if everything goes smoothly and 2 hours to put on the other ones externally. I actually like the hand positon of the stock bars, but wish they were taller and chromed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts