Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. *Should* I wrap something in between the clamp and the bar?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Title says it all. *Should* I wrap something in between the clamp and the bar?
I wouldn't. But I never take them off. I'd imagine anything you could do which would prevent scratches would also make them more difficult to keep from moving.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I use the long peg mounts from HD and they DO cause scratches. Any time you have metal to metal you will have scars. Some may come with a nylon shim but I haven't used any.:D

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Get a good polish/wax on the bar and mounts, wrap the bar with clear packing tape a few wraps, mount the highway pegs and cut away the excess tape with an exacto knife. You could also use a few pieces of duct tape on the inside of the mounts, that'll act as a gasket between the mount and bar.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.

I had the same reservations as you, HellInABucket, about them moving on me.

But I think the packing tape idea should work out. Should have enough bite and it shouldn't go anywhere. Worst case: it scratches the bars a little anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nothing holds like metal on metal. Just scratch 'em up good, then you have a reason to powdercoat the bars, the peg mount arms, and the pegs themselves. You can remove the rubber from the highway pegs in 15 seconds.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you think the highway peg mount would scratch your crashbar, do you really think that packing tape will be stronger and prevent that. Really?

I had pegs on my last bike for 9 years, removed them and there was minor scratching on the bars, not enough to ever make me think for a second about not using them or rigging up some sort of cushion that will inevitably make the peg mounts move anyway.

These bikes were made to ride, if you don't ever want a scratch on it, leave it in the garage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The mount might eventually slide down the packing tape and scratch them nicely where you really don't want to see it - beside the mount point. I say leave the scratches under the mount and be done with it. Just make sure it's tight and doesn't move much.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fellas... Got them installed today. Didn't wrap anything on it. And had to move and adjust them and nothing mucked up anyway.

Volus -- yes I bought the bike to ride.. but do you also cover your faring or fender when doing work where you might whack your paint? same idea -- going to enjoy the f** out of it.. just if i could easily prevent marring up some other part then I'd do it.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,163 Posts
If you think the highway peg mount would scratch your crashbar, do you really think that packing tape will be stronger and prevent that. Really?

I had pegs on my last bike for 9 years, removed them and there was minor scratching on the bars, not enough to ever make me think for a second about not using them or rigging up some sort of cushion that will inevitably make the peg mounts move anyway.

These bikes were made to ride, if you don't ever want a scratch on it, leave it in the garage.
+1 agree.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,163 Posts
Thanks fellas... Got them installed today. Didn't wrap anything on it. And had to move and adjust them and nothing mucked up anyway.

Volus -- yes I bought the bike to ride.. but do you also cover your faring or fender when doing work where you might whack your paint? same idea -- going to enjoy the f** out of it.. just if i could easily prevent marring up some other part then I'd do it.
I somewhat disagree; dings while working on the bike are preventable. A better analogy would be someone who buys a bra so the fairing doesn't get "road dings." I didn't, and my fairing has said dings. That's about riding, not fixing.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I somewhat disagree; dings while working on the bike are preventable. A better analogy would be someone who buys a bra so the fairing doesn't get "road dings." I didn't, and my fairing has said dings. That's about riding, not fixing.
good distinction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I had my 2012 FLTRX two days less than two years when I traded for my 2015 FLTRXS. But it had 33678 miles on it and when I removed the highway pegs to put them on the new bike I was surprised at how minute any scarring actually was.

I've been known to stand on my pegs and I'm a big guy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts