Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are you Rushmore RG/S riders using/doing to control/mitigate/eliminate high(er) speed windblasts? My bike's ergos is in stock config except for the C&C wide-solo seat. I'm 6ft tall with 32" inseam and wear half-helmets w/foam-lined vented gogs. With a seat that pushes me back a little over an inch, I get pretty much smooth airflow around my head at 80mph with no head bobble even with quartering wind gusts...but my eyes are taking a beating from the relentless but smooth blast. I suppose I could try an aftermarket windshield, but I'd like to keep the windscreen at its stock height if at all possible or will go slightly taller. I just don't know how much taller without buying a bunch of different screens to try....not an option for me...or most folks for that matter.

I'll not be in the market for lowers anytime soon, so that's not a current option either. I've read about "wind deflectors" that attach near the bottom of the fairing, but have not read much about how well they work...or not. Ultimately I suppose I could also wear a full face helmet with "wind curtains" to keep the wind out of my eyes, but that'd be a last resort for me...especially in the summer heat...and I want to feel the wind on my face :D

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE "being in the elements" when I'm out riding ie. the sounds, vibrations, wind, speed, exposure, etc., so it's not like I'm looking to make my riding experience into a car ride. I'm just trying to protect my eyes and mitigate irritation or injury from the constant windblasts. My eyes aren't what they used to be and don't tolerate what they used to when I was younger.

Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Have you tried closing the vent(s), 1 at a time?
The deflectors you describe do help, as a lot of air can come from below. I have the deflectors and a Freedom Shield that works very well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The first thing I put on my 2015 RGS was a 15" HD Windsplitter. This put the air flow over my head. I do get some wind on top of my helmet, no buffeting only steady stream. I also put on GADS and the HD lower wind deflectors. Very nice ride. I can listen to music at 75mph. I am 6'4", 35 inseam.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, I've changed out the vent configurations while at speed. From the available pics online, I'm starting to dig the 10" Freedom.

Would HD fork fangs work on the RG/Ss?.....a shark with big teeth, so to speak? :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts