Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what’s the consensus on the plastic, snap on wind deflectors that mount to the crash bar and tank bolts? Do you all find that they calm down turbulence? Anyone think that they could increase engine heat a little bit?

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Not sure which bike you have, but I do feel they help with the turbulence. I do not feel any difference on the heat side at all.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
So what’s the consensus on the plastic, snap on wind deflectors that mount to the crash bar and tank bolts? Do you all find that they calm down turbulence? Anyone think that they could increase engine heat a little bit?
They definitely take some of the turbulence away. They remove the air that comes up around the tank and hits you in the stomach and flows up your body.
I never take mine off, but you bring up a good point on engine heat. I may have to experiment next summer. Definitely not an issue in the winter.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not to be a smart ass, but how in the world would they have any effect on engine heat? For the most part they are above the lowest part of the front fairing.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have never had it affect engine heat as craig states, it is up higher. If anything, it would deflect some wind down on the engine. I have noticed it helps with the midsection wind.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
They help with buffeting, especially when I had a 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I was just curious what everyone thought about them. They came in the saddle bag on my ‘19 RG ultra and I had to do a little poking around to even figure out what they were. Already having the lowers, I was just curious if anyone else wondered about directing some of the air upward might add a little engine heat. Thanks gang

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not to be a smart ass, but how in the world would they have any effect on engine heat? For the most part they are above the lowest part of the front fairing.
What he may have meant was it affects the heat the rider feels with reduced air flow. Having just put lowers on I may be removing these is the summer too.

Reactions: Taz_FL

·
Registered
855 Posts
I had these on my '11 and liked them, are they available for the Rushmore models?

Wade

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What he may have meant was it affects the heat the rider feels with reduced air flow. Having just put lowers on I may be removing these is the summer too.

I’m pretty sure that’s not what he meant.

And for the lowers, I’ve been riding a touring bike with lowers for the last 7 years and heat has never been an issue. But things are different for everyone i guess. .

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I had these on my '11 and liked them, are they available for the Rushmore models?

Wade
yes, they have a different version for the rushmore models, but the old style will still fit just fine. the newer models have some sort of side wing on them.

i kept the ones off the wife's bike before trading her bike in and have been using them on my 19. they do change the dynamic of the wind considerably. i can ride with a long sleeve over shirt unbuttoned and it doesn't flap behind me like a cape. i do feel a little increase in heat, but i think that is more a side effect of less wind moving past me. it isn't so much that i take them off, plus we're talking louisiana, hot is hot, not much to do about that.

and, more importantly, it keeps a lot of bug guts off the lower front of the fuel tank. until i rode without them, i never realized how many bugs came through there.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I’m pretty sure that’s not what he meant.

And for the lowers, I’ve been riding a touring bike with lowers for the last 7 years and heat has never been an issue. But things are different for everyone i guess. .

Craig...may just have to get used to it. Felt the same thing when I added fangs to my Street Glide. After awhile didn’t bother me at all. Always appreciate your input.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Craig...may just have to get used to it. Felt the same thing when I added fangs to my Street Glide. After awhile didn’t bother me at all. Always appreciate your input.
The wind fatigue they keep off my legs and the extra storage they provide far out weigh any heat.....at least in my book.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have them on my 18 RGU and immediately noticed a pretty big difference from my 15 RG that didn't have them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts