Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just upgraded from a 2012 Roadglide Ultra with a MADSTAD to a 2021 CVO with a 9 in Klockwerks. I wear a Nolan N70-2 modular helmet. On the old bike it was quite quiet, now it sounds like I'm riding in a jet engine. Anyone with the newer fairing have any suggestions?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not sure of your height or riding posture. A 9" windshield on a '21 RG sounds fairly short to me. 14" is the stock height on a RGL, but I'm not certain about your RG. While they are popular, I've never been a fan of the Klock Werks shields due to the aggressive recurve flair. Nice looking shield absolutely, but I've read more than a few reviews about lots of turbulence or buffeting with them. Based on your description of "sounds like I'm riding in a jet engine" it's obvious (at least to me) you're getting lots of wind around your helmet. Maybe some of that wind is turbulent air.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just upgraded from a 2012 Roadglide Ultra with a MADSTAD to a 2021 CVO with a 9 in Klockwerks. I wear a Nolan N70-2 modular helmet. On the old bike it was quite quiet, now it sounds like I'm riding in a jet engine. Anyone with the newer fairing have any suggestions?
I agree with the other reply...a 9” shield is probably too short. I’m 6’ and have a Clearview 15” touring shield on an Ultra...which allows me to see over it and directs almost all air over my helmet. Tried the Klockwerks and sent it back. Clearview has a great trial system and the highest quality. Check them out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not helmet issue. Its windshield issue. I gave away my klockwerks, My 2016 is quiet with a clearview shield 15 inch

·
Registered
21 Posts
From what I've read at almost all of the after market windshield web sites is you want the top of the shield to be even with the bottom of your nose. That should get the wind up and over your head and ears. I sat on the bike with a 2' level even with my nose and my wife measured from the top of the shark to the level. From that point, you can buy whichever one you like the look of the most. I went 1" lower and purchased the 13" Freedom Shield because I liked the look and it was also the thickest shield out there. I am 5' 10" with a long torso. The buffeting and wind noise is greatly reduced and I can even hear the music at 70 mph.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
is it possible that the wind is coming up from the tank and right into your head?
changing windshields won't stop that wind
i put wind deflectors and lowers on to stop that wind

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks to Little Wing's comment above, I realized the OP came from a 2012 Ultra (with lowers) to a 2021 RG CVO without lowers. That may indeed explain the wind noise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just put a 12" LRS (long ride shield) tinted on my new 2021 RGS and it really helped. I also purchased there trim kit and it looks nice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here's a picture of of new RLS 12"

·
Registered
208 Posts
From what I've read at almost all of the after market windshield web sites is you want the top of the shield to be even with the bottom of your nose. That should get the wind up and over your head and ears. I sat on the bike with a 2' level even with my nose and my wife measured from the top of the shark to the level. From that point, you can buy whichever one you like the look of the most. I went 1" lower and purchased the 13" Freedom Shield because I liked the look and it was also the thickest shield out there. I am 5' 10" with a long torso. The buffeting and wind noise is greatly reduced and I can even hear the music at 70 mph.
Good Luck
Freedom Shields are the one of the best for sure, I had a 12 inch on my 2015 FLTRUSE CVO and I just ordered a 12 inch for my new 21 RG limited........ Patiently waiting for it to arrive as the lead time on the freedom shields is a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I’ve got the madstad on my ‘15 which has the new fairing. Works just as well for me as it did on my ‘13. Not sure how much the loss of lowers might play into it. Spoiled - I’ve had lowers on both my RG’s.

Reactions: DanHappy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm 6'3" and have 18" screen from Freedom Shields that helped immensely on my bike. I think that full-faced helmets are louder if there is turbulence. I do have lowers but remove them in the Summer. I also have a wind deflector that mounts to bottom of the fork triple. It was cheap and you can feel the difference in air flow at least. I've got disposable ear plugs in every pocket and compartment on my bike. If I'm spending any time on the highway, I put them in. I've got too many friends that have hearing loss due to occupations and/or motorcycles! A box of a hundred were less than $20.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
398 Posts
My wife also just purchased a 2021 CVO RoadGlide, her 4th Harley her 2nd RoadGlide she says not her last. She’s 63 so with 300 miles on her new ride I asked her if I need to order a windshield, can have it installed when ever. Her answer was” no it’s fine.” She wears a half helmet with a built in drop down visor.Her dad was a Chicago police motorcycle cop.She has his DNA.I have always worn ear plugs, no wind noise, can hear my tunes works for me. I know a guy who rides an 07 RG, in 2007 when he bought his 2nd wind screen I suggested ear plugs.Some where between the 2nd wind screen and the 6th he got ear plugs.Makes a difference especially in the cold.After all we are “ In the wind” good luck

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I LOVE the looks of a small shield. But then you need to use the bike right- then it goes south from there. Around town there great, highway, nope!

Its one thing about the madstad that i love, it can be down all the way and look cool. Then raise up when the weather goes south.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts