Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the LRS yeah I know I hate to make another thread about them. However I can't really get a good answer from all the other threads. I have an Ultra so my stock wind shield is a 14" clear and I want to keep that height maybe a touch less. (I like the look of the lower windshield. Now I am a short guy 5'7" but I am all upper body so when I measure like the site says to the tip of my nose is 16" which means I need a 15" windshield. From what I am reading these run a little tall? Could I get as much protection out of a 13" thresher as I do my stock 14" shield? If my measuring is correct the 13" should be right at my chin height if they run true to size?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Hopefully you already have your "keeper" seat...good luck!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly this is the first bike I have had that has a wind shield so kind of new to the wind shield thing and figure the LRS is cheap enough to make a mistake on if I get the wrong one. Don't get me wrong I rather not but still not the end of the world.

This was my last bike. Hell I rode her to the grand canyon and back. That was a 4000 mile trip and I had almost 16,000 when I traded up. My Ultra I have 7000 miles so far and I got her in March.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are going to do the blur ridge prkwy in a week and half. Its going to be a fun trip.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I think you will be good with the 14" shield. I got a 12" and could have gone up a little I think. Let us know what you think once mounted.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Ordered the 14" so we will see how she does.
If it is too tall for you, do what I did. I took out the two screws on either side and loosened up the two center screws. Pry out on the edges and let the windscreen slip down on the edges tilt toward you until you get the height you want. After you have it where you want it, mark along the rubber gasket with a sharpie. Then take the windscreen off and use a 4" side grinder with a thin cutting blade to cut it off along the line. Drill new holes and you are done. It's a lot easier than it sounds and it cuts very easy. Take some emory cloth and sand the edges round a little. Then take WD-40 and put on a rag and wipe the edges. You will love it.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Sorry, should have explained..The first step is the seat comfort, they are all different heights and distances from the cockpit..so if you dont have that straight, you are wasting your time on a shield...since you have ordered already, they may have an exchange policy, or do what Smarty suggested..seems easy!!! Seat, Shield, then bars and other foot related rests..Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my LRS in and installed it yesterday. Haven't had a chance to put some miles on it yet.

14" dark tint...

Here is what I think I have learned. People love to say hey I this XX tall and this inseam XX. Most people well it fits him it should fit me. Well a 6' man with a 32" inseam is going to need a shorter shield than a 6' man that has a 30" inseam. What I haven seen spelled out is if your 6' your 72" tall so if you take 32" inseam away from a 72" tall man then you sit 40" in the saddle. The 6' man (72") with a 30" inseam is going to sit 42" in the saddle. Mind you this is if you have same seat height which makes another variable. Other words its not the inseam that makes as much of a difference as its the torso height. The inseam just gives a point of reference.

So back to what I was saying I am 5'7" or 67" tall with a 28" inseam so that means I sit in the saddle at 39". If you compare me at 5'7" with a 28" inseam to a man that is 6' and a 32" inseam we are within an inch of the same saddle height.

Here is my stock 14" shield.

I will have to get some photos of the LRS

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it is too tall for you, do what I did. I took out the two screws on either side and loosened up the two center screws. Pry out on the edges and let the windscreen slip down on the edges tilt toward you until you get the height you want. After you have it where you want it, mark along the rubber gasket with a sharpie. Then take the windscreen off and use a 4" side grinder with a thin cutting blade to cut it off along the line. Drill new holes and you are done. It's a lot easier than it sounds and it cuts very easy. Take some emory cloth and sand the edges round a little. Then take WD-40 and put on a rag and wipe the edges. You will love it.

Do you have before and after pics by chance?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts