Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a new windshield for my 2015 RGS. Have narrowed it down to 3 manufacturers, Windvest, Freedom Shields and LRS. All seem to have their own formula for sizing and I am wondering if I can get some help.
I am 5'9" and a 30-31 inseam and am wondering what's the best fit for me according to someone's experience in the fitting process.
Looking for advice on right height as well as the best windshield in your opinion.
Thanks in advance
Ironhorse
2015 RGS

·
Registered
927 Posts
Are you primarily riding one or two up? How tall is passenger? You will want a taller shield if mostly two up.

I personally like the adjustability of the MadStad. But I understand not everyone likes the look or price.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you primarily riding one or two up? How tall is passenger? You will want a taller shield if mostly two up.

I personally like the adjustability of the MadStad. But I understand not everyone likes the look or price.
Mostly 1 up, wife rides only occasionally
IH

·
Registered
296 Posts
No experience either yet, just what I've found on this site... lot of info if you search around. Personally I'm going to try the Freedom Shield 11" Sport when I get around to it. At 5'8, 30" I don't mind the stock shield. I get some wind but can ride with cap forward and regular sunglasses, so not in a big rush.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am only 5'6", and I have a Klock Werks Sport 9", made a world of difference on the highway, plus I love the looks of it over stock. If I could do it over again, I would probably go for the 14" for more Wind protection on the highway..

Good Luck but in my opinion which ever one you choose would be a significant improvement over the stock one.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Looking to purchase a new windshield for my 2015 RGS. Have narrowed it down to 3 manufacturers, Windvest, Freedom Shields and LRS. All seem to have their own formula for sizing and I am wondering if I can get some help.
I am 5'9" and a 30-31 inseam and am wondering what's the best fit for me according to someone's experience in the fitting process.
Looking for advice on right height as well as the best windshield in your opinion.
Thanks in advance
Ironhorse
2015 RGS
I am the same size as you. Same bike with a HD Rallyrunner seat. The shield is a 11" Freedom touring in medium smoke. I like Freedom shields because of the very high quality.
If I do it over, will go for the Freedom sport touring shield in clear, 10". The tint looks good on the bike, but messes with my head in low light conditions. Also, 11" is just a tad too high, at least for me. I like to look over the shield. I can hear the radio now, but I don't think taking an inch off is going to make that much difference in that.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you arent happy with your seat, do that first, otherwise youre wasting your time with a shield. Eveyones different with seat type, backrest (or no), inseam, torso heigt, weight etc...If you dont want to spring for a madstad, then freedom is an excellent product, I have one...great customer service too..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you arent happy with your seat, do that first, otherwise youre wasting your time with a shield. Eveyones different with seat type, backrest (or no), inseam, torso heigt, weight etc...If you dont want to spring for a madstad, then freedom is an excellent product, I have one...great customer service too..
Already sent my seat out to MCC and had it lowered about an inch and a half. Just trying to figure out the best way to measure for a new windshield now. Leaning towards the Freedom.
Thanks
IH

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Already sent my seat out to MCC and had it lowered about an inch and a half. Just trying to figure out the best way to measure for a new windshield now. Leaning towards the Freedom.
Thanks
IH
Call John up while you are on the bike with a yardstick a piece of string and a helper...

·
Registered
58 Posts
As eluded to, height is not the only factor to take into consideration. Some people are taller in the torso and others have height in their legs. The seat position and height is critical to the proper windshield height as well as personal preference. I always want to see over the top of my windshield for heavy rain. I'm only 5" 10" but my favourite shield is my windvest 14". I had never seen a madstad until SWVI and I really like the look and function - this will be my next shield!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Motorcycle Windshields & Custom Windscreens | Clearview Shields

THE best choice of true windscreens hands down...especially for what 'wind' 'screens' are supposed to be used for! I have a 2015FLTRUSE w/ 17k...this is my fourth RG...built 2002 FLTRU when there wasn't one w/ 113k...then 11 FLTR w/ 21k then 11 FLTRUSE w/ 21k...now this 15. Have used this screen on each one and my '99 FLHRI classic. All larger w/ recurve and full protection. Mostly ride 2 up...me 5-9" 200#...wife 5-2" 115#. check 'em out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts