Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member here. 2019 Road Glide Special. I love my new scoot but, the windshield needs to be taller. I get anlot of wind to the face. I have 12 inch LA Choppers bars and tried a Clockwerks sport Flare but the brake and clutch levers hit it. Called Clockwerks and they said to cut it with a dremel. Well, sold it to a buddy instead. Anyone else have this issue? I have the pin still and like the bars where they are. Would rather not punch it out and rotate them. Any suggestions would be awesome.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like seats, exhaust and so on, there are many good companies out there. Have a look at Windvest, Freedom shields, Memphis Shields(?). You can also look at this forums for sale section, there are shields that come up for sale. Added note for our sale section, it seems when shields come up for sale, the prices are usually pretty good so they go pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Congrats, Welcome to the Tank from Texas and enjoy! Windscreen, I'd contact Freedom Shields, tell them what you are wanting and they can fix you up.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Congrats, Welcome to the Tank from Texas and enjoy! Windscreen, I'd contact Freedom Shields, tell them what you are wanting and they can fix you up.
Ditto. Be sure to mention that your a member here for your discount.

When you get one of John's shields, leave the protective film on until you're satisfied you've got your clearance and purchased the height that suits you. As long as you leave the protective film on, John will swap you another (you're out freight cost of course) but at least you get the perfect shield for yourself.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota! I would not hesitate to punch that pin. But if they are where you want them find another shield. If one sport shield is a problem then most will be. Try a standard shield.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Look at LRS (long ride sheilds) Stingray. It's a little narrower half about a quarter of the way up, bars shouldn't hit.

I have one, like it a lot.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,814 Posts
Welcome from SW Florida. Strongly suggest you re-post your question under the "Windshields" section for more responses.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Freedom shield 15” Sport Touring Medium Tint

6”3” 36” inseam

Call or Email John Give Him Your Stats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
The one thing we are all agreed on is that the stock shield is junk. I actually did throw it in the trash. It just directs wind right in your face.

I personally love my 13in Freedom Shield (6ft 2in, and my seat is a LePera, an inch lower and an inch further back than stock).

And my 50c earplugs. ;-)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Welcome & I’m a madstad guy too. Especially if you ride 2 up much. Momma will be happy :smile:

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Hey all, new member here. 2019 Road Glide Special. I love my new scoot but, the windshield needs to be taller. I get anlot of wind to the face. I have 12 inch LA Choppers bars and tried a Clockwerks sport Flare but the brake and clutch levers hit it. Called Clockwerks and they said to cut it with a dremel. Well, sold it to a buddy instead. Anyone else have this issue? I have the pin still and like the bars where they are. Would rather not punch it out and rotate them. Any suggestions would be awesome.
I prefer the OEM shield that came on the special. I will put a taller shield on for the winter but much prefer my head being in the smooth air instead of buffeting behind a windshield. I do wear a modular helmet so I can close the visor at faster speeds or rain or swarm of beetles.

I found that I have to go with a 16" recurve to get away from buffeting.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The one thing we are all agreed on is that the stock shield is junk. I actually did throw it in the trash. It just directs wind right in your face.

I personally love my 13in Freedom Shield (6ft 2in, and my seat is a LePera, an inch lower and an inch further back than stock).

And my 50c earplugs. ;-)

Interesting was this based on John’s recommendations or your own measurements?

I too have a LePera Maverick DLL; he recommended the 15” and it was spot on, wind flow hits right above my helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,660 Posts

And my 50c earplugs. ;-)
Don't count me in with the all agree there dave. :grin: I like the look and the ride with the stock shield on my special. I also like the stock handlebars. I run the low profile solo tour seat and wear a modular or FF helmet with the shield up most of the time.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I have a 10" Freedom Shield and a 13" LRS Mako that I will be listing soon to sell but if you're interested just shoot me a PM. Both with very low miles on them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Starting my fifth season with a Freedom Shield. Thick, great quality. Has taken a few hits, with no damage.

As suggested, go to their site for measurement details. Call and talk to him, if need be.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the KW sport shield as well with 16" bars. The cable does hit but on full lock. It's very minimal and only when I'm parked pretty much.. The shield does flex so it's really not a big deal. There is a little mark where it rubs, but I'm not ocd.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts