Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought home the new 2017 Road Glide Ultra a week ago and noticed during the first couple of rides that the windshield seems to be excellent.....WHAT!!! With the vents open the airflow seems to be great.

Alas, of course the windshield is clear so that just won't cut it so I guess I'll be on the search for a replacement. The good news is when trying to decide which one to get I just need to make sure it's comparable or maybe just slightly higher than where the Ultra windshield is.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
See if you can demo one at the stealership, I have been using the 15" wind splitter in smoked tint and like it. Can't go wrong if you can demo one. There is another company that will allow you to return a windshield as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap but can't remember their name. I am sure someone will tell you who it is.

·
Registered
280 Posts
100% Freedom Shields

I hated the Windsplitter shields. They caused more turbulance.

When riding 2 up the stock shield caused turbulamce as well.

I went with the 15" Light tint Freedom Touring. John (Freedom Shields) lets you try it out and you can return it if you dont like it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I went with the 15" Light tint Freedom Touring
just slightly higher than where the Ultra windshield is.
I went with the 15" Freedom Shield on my '16 RGU. It's 1" taller than stock and a couple of inches wider, (1" on both sides). I'm very happy with it.

Reactions: snarley53

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I spent a while researching on this forum last night after I sent that message. The Freedom shield is the one I'm probably going to try based on that research and now the responses here. I'm just a little fella at 5'7 and I just sent my factory seat in to 'Mean City Cycles', primarily to have memory foam put in it for comfort but also having them lower an inch (although I currently have a Mustang seat that also lowers me). Based on that and wanting to get the dark tint I will have to go shorter on the shield I believe. I'll be putting some miles on the bike with the factory shield today and I'll have to pay attention to see if I'm actually looking over or through the shield. Sounds like from their site I will need to go either 10 or 11 inch but I'll call and discuss it with them.

I was using a Madstad on my '13 Road Glide but it was always about function over the looks. Hopefully I won't end up buying two or three and then going that route, AGAIN lol

Reactions: snarley53

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
I am not in the norm here so take my post with that in mind........but its a Motorcycle and wind in the face is normal to me - I am 5'11 with a low slung CVO seat and went with the Memphis Shade 6.5 Dark and could not be happier - Love the looks and it puts the wind just at the top of my head so I still get that dog hanging out the window feeling but can hear the tunes as well - Granted, 90% of the board likes with 'Pocket of Protection" that a big shield provides and I can dig that.......but its just not brand of Vodka if you can pick up what I'm laying down - Pic of my shit in my Garage located to the left of this rambling of a post

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not in the norm here so take my post with that in mind........but its a Motorcycle and wind in the face is normal to me - I am 5'11 with a low slung CVO seat and went with the Memphis Shade 6.5 Dark and could not be happier - Love the looks and it puts the wind just at the top of my head so I still get that dog hanging out the window feeling but can hear the tunes as well - Granted, 90% of the board likes with 'Pocket of Protection" that a big shield provides and I can dig that.......but its just not brand of Vodka if you can pick up what I'm laying down - Pic of my shit in my Garage located to the left of this rambling of a post
LOL, no actually you bring up an excellent point. I used to chuckle at the same posts when they talked about getting wind but it wasn't until my first Road Glide (1 of 3, 2010) that I saw what was meant with the 'buffeting'.....it made it impossible to enjoy the ride.

I am picking up what you're putting down though :laugh:

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm with Eddie on this one.

No disrespect to those that want the full protection of a larger windshield, I get it, I just prefer a bit more wind in my face.
That's why I have the tinted shorty windshield. It's really just a trim piece to make the top of the fairing look pretty. :grin:

Reactions: MightyWhitey

·
Registered
66 Posts
Went with the 11" Windvest after changing my bars to the H-D Chizeled Lo. The new bars hit my Klock Werks Sport Flare in sharp turns and in the locked position.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the look of those bars. The factory ones seem pretty decent to me but a couple of inches higher and coming back a few inches would be great. I had 'helibars' on my '13 which are adjustable so I was a bit spoiled. If I could find a used set for the '17 I would go that route but not likely to find those for a while. New they're about $800 and that's not happening.

Reactions: sidetech

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Went with the 11" Windvest after changing my bars to the H-D Chizeled Lo. The new bars hit my Klock Werks Sport Flare in sharp turns and in the locked position.
Hi was it the bars or the mirror that hit the sport flare i have just orded the bars and did not no of that problem,If i remove the pin and roll the bars back do you think that would help

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi was it the bars or the mirror that hit the sport flare i have just orded the bars and did not no of that problem,If i remove the pin and roll the bars back do you think that would help
It was the mirrors. I think if you removed the pin you could be fine, as it was only about 1-2 inches into the shield. I might remove the pin and roll back 2 inches as well, so I can relax into my backrest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: ultra98

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
I have LA Choppers 13" Twin Peak Apes.
I also have the 14" Sportsflair.
You can adjust the bars without any issues with the Sportsflair.
I dig the Sportsflair.
Swomack

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like the 13" puts the mirrors above the lip? The Chizeled Lo bars are only 9" and it puts the mirrors right at that lip level when in locked position. I tried pulling them back as far as the pin allowed with no luck. Miss my Flare! Great shield!

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Looks like the 13" puts the mirrors above the lip? The Chizeled Lo bars are only 9" and it puts the mirrors right at that lip level when in locked position. I tried pulling them back as far as the pin allowed with no luck. Miss my Flare! Great shield!

Pull the pin.
It's a 10 min. job.
Once the pin is pulled you can adjust the bars so they don't hit.
Take a pair of vice grips and the pin will twist right out.
I'm not saying that the Sportsflair is the only shield that I like but for me and for this bike it's been a perfect match for me.
Do your research, demo if you can, there are a few great shields out there.
Good Luck
Swomack

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put the Klock Werks Pro Touring windshield on mine. It's taller than the Harley shields, and has a light tint that looks ok. Not as cool as those low black ones, but then at 6'2" I still look over the windshield anyway, and I don't get hammered by the wind like I do with the stock windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I have a 15" thresher from Longrideshields in medium tint and a 10" thresher in dark tint.

I can wear a 1/2 helmet with the 15" and no watering eyes. The recurve throws the air up higher than stock and the shield itself is a couple inches taller.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just put a 13" Madstad medium tint on my 16 RGU, it's a unique look works great I like it.
Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pull the pin.
It's a 10 min. job.
Once the pin is pulled you can adjust the bars so they don't hit.
Take a pair of vice grips and the pin will twist right out.
I'm not saying that the Sportsflair is the only shield that I like but for me and for this bike it's been a perfect match for me.
Do your research, demo if you can, there are a few great shields out there.
Good Luck
Swomack
Thanks! Might try pulling the pin today. Need to pull the bars back a few inches anyway, reaching forward like that starts to hurt my back a little, as I have alligator arms...

Reactions: Swomack
1 - 20 of 22 Posts