Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently running a windsplitter 12 on my 13 shark. Looking to get a taller windshield to pop on just for long rides to help with wind management. What height should I go with to get optimum wind management? I'm 5'11" with 32 inseam running a stock seat. I've got my eye on 2 different shields right now, the 15in Freedom shield and 15in LRS mako. I can get them for 90-100 bucks .

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
The two windshields from what I understand a very good windshield. You might check out baggershield, they’re also sponsor on this site. Their windshield you could flip up for the clear part when you’re ridding long distance around and flip them down for the more sporty look when you’re close to home. I’ve had a couple and I was pretty happy with that set up, but it is not for everyone.

Reactions: Rubimad

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gonna get a 14 in windvest from another member on here. That should do what I'm looking for with no problem. I ran a 10 in WV in the past and it was just a little short.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I would go for the Freedom, have it and love it best shield IMO, but the wind best is a good shield as well, they work way better than the HD windsplitter, I had it and hated that thing, shot the air right at my mouth and glasses, and the quality was crap for the price, Good luck.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
FYI, I am six feet tall with a 32 inseam and I run a 12 inch Freedom and it's perfect for me , mine is dark tint, I like looking over it not thru it, running a mustang sport tourer seat hope this helps

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI, I am six feet tall with a 32 inseam and I run a 12 inch Freedom and it's perfect for me , mine is dark tint, I like looking over it not thru it, running a mustang sport tourer seat hope this helps
Thanks for the input. Got a member her that has a 14in windvest for a good price and he's not far from me so gonna give it a shot. The 12in wind splitter in what I have now and I agree it isn't the best although I do like the looks of it so I compromise. My plans are to have the 14in Windvest to put on when me and the wife make overnight runs down to Florida. It's alotttt of interstate riding and the wind really beats you up with the lower shields. Swapping shields may get a little aggravating but it will probably only be 2 or 3 times a year that we need to swap out.

·
Registered
514 Posts
In the event that you decide to try something else down the road, I'm the same height as you with an identical inseam and I can assure you that the Madstad 12" adjustable windshield has been a blessing for me. It's easy to adjust the height and angle on the fly (20 seconds or less) to suit the changing weather and the reduction in buffeting has been nothing short of miraculous.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
remember also that 12'' is not always 12''. some of the windshield mfgs measure their shields differently, and depending on how 'laid back' the shield is, that has an effect on height as well.

i use a 12'' wind splitter. i wanted to get a different shield for the winter as well, got a mako from long ride shields. their 11'' mako actually is about an inch taller than the 12'' harley wind splitter because it sits more upright than the wind splitter. and it works awesome btw.

doing a double check on their website for sizes, got to spin the wheel. 40% off entire order. i'm not going to order again, so if anyone else wants to use it, big40off is the code.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Yes the Harley windsplitter 12 sat alot lower than my 12 inch Freedom, if you put a Freedom on you won't take it off I love mine all around and at highway speeds I could not believe how well it performed, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok,, 2017 RGS bikers... any short dudes out there? The DAWG is 5'5" with a 29" inseam... The stock windshield looks good but is terrible with wind in the face.... Not sure what size I should get and wondering what some of you short riders have picked up for shield upgrades///. Thanks DAWG from MO

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have both, went with freedom first but wanted a bit shorter than the 16 inch recommended by John so went with a sale at LRS for a shorter wind screen. LRS is fine but the quality of freedom shields, I put the taller Freedom shield back on. wind protection is great, I just want it about 1 inch lower out of my line of sight......John is quick to respond to emails, there's little to no distortion through the windscreen...just my opinion freedom shields are worth the money.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ok,, 2017 RGS bikers... any short dudes out there? The DAWG is 5'5" with a 29" inseam... The stock windshield looks good but is terrible with wind in the face.... Not sure what size I should get and wondering what some of you short riders have picked up for shield upgrades///. Thanks DAWG from MO
call or email John at Freedom shields.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I measured out to 13in LRS. 5'4" 30in inseam. I bought a 14in in light tint and love it. Sit up straight and can easily see over and easy to get behind for rain and hail.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The Freedom was amazing compared to my windsplitter, my buddy runs a wind vest and loves it on his 2016, IMO these are both good choices, the LRS in my opinion looks cheaper, no disrespect to LRS owner but it did, still hands down better that the windsplitter, it shot bug and debris right at my mouth and glasses, I hated it, sold it ASAP. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts