Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Road Glide Custom that has a Harley WindSplitter 12" shield that came on it.
It looks really good on the bike, but the wind buffeting is ridiculous over 50mph.
What are your suggestion for a better shield?
And I'm not really looking for the huge/tall Ultra glide types.
I've been reading all kinds of pros and cons on the Klock Works shields as well as the Freedom Shields and its pretty all over the place.
I'm 5'10" and the bike has 14" mini apes on it.
Thank in advance!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
You may want to look at the Long Ride Shields. There priced very nice from what i read they work nice, I ordered one myself will have it next week ill post on how it preforms. Just be advised they are running 7 to 10 days behind on orders you may want to contact them prior to ordering. Good Luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check them out as well! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
LRS has periodic sales. You can pick it up for short money. I had a LRS on my 09 and have a Freedom on my 15. Form and function are superior on the Freedom. More money though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use both a 13 " Freedom and a Madstad. Believe it or not, the Freedom cuts the buffering and winds as well as the Madstad and gives better protection for my hands with 15" apes.
Very highly recommend the Freedom. Just make sure your apes clear the windshield lock to lock before you remove the film (Freedom has a great return policy).

·
Registered
68 Posts
On Sale Right Now

I just ordered a 12 inch LRS Stingray for $88 delivered. Can't wait to get it and see how it performs.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I have a Klock Werks 14" Sprotsflair that I was using for a year or so but I have to tell you, the Long Ride Shields are great.

I purchased a 10" dark tint Stingray & I also purchased a 13" medium tint Stingray.

Both LRS's are great and you just can't beat the prices.

My sig picture down below shows the 13" LRS Stingray.

Good Luck

Swomack

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a ClearView GT Medium w/Recurve Lt Gray on my bike and love it. 13"" 27" wide. I am 5'10" 8,000 miles so far (2016 RGS and moved it to the 2017 RGS in the fall). They are in Colorado. 800 798 6089. visit their website for more info. www.clearviewshields.com

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
It's hard to beat the Madstad adjustable on the pre Rushmore bikes. My 13" Madstad works better than a 16" Wind vest windshield.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I use both a 13 " Freedom and a Madstad. Believe it or not, the Freedom cuts the buffering and winds as well as the Madstad and gives better protection for my hands with 15" apes.
Very highly recommend the Freedom. Just make sure your apes clear the windshield lock to lock before you remove the film (Freedom has a great return policy).
Curious to know what year bike You have, Kabar?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Another vote for the madstad.Mine is clear,doesn't even look bad.

Reactions: Bandit 7

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I also have two LRS shields. 11" Thresher and Stingray. Watch their site for some hot specials from time to time. I like both styles. However I do have a Rushmore bike. A lot of people are also running the GADS (a sponsor of this forum) and speak highly of them as well. I'd think a good shield and those defectors, will cut down a lot of the buffeting.

I have the fltr deflectors from a local HD dealer for $30. Definitely noticed a difference once I got above 50 mph.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
When I picked up my 2012 FLTRX, I had them put on a really cool looking 9" windsplitter windshield. It looked great and worked like shit.

I got tired of of getting beat up and bought an 11" madstad that has worked very well. 2 years. Last spring I bought a used 10" windvest from a forum member just to "try" and ran it till the cold weather came and switched back to the madstad. This spring I will switch back to the windvest when it warms up a bit.

I am 5'9 and currently run 16" malo bars, a Corbin forward seat and my hands get wind. For the $, the windvest is a great windshield and would buy again in a heartbeat. The madstad is better for blocking wind and definitely better for the highway but costs 3 times more. 99% of my riding is back roading and I find the windvest is more then adequate.

A little wind is ok, after all it is a motorcycle. ?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Can't speak to your apes, but I demoed everything I could get my hands on, and it was Madstad, hands down.

Yes, they're pricey. But, iirc, you can try them out and as long as you don't put a scratch on it, you can send it back.

Reactions: Bandit 7

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had a 15" HD windsplitter, test rode a 12" Klock works, both put wind and buffeting directly in my face...I am 5'9" with sort of short legs...I eventually bought a used 12" Windvest for my 2008... Recently I purchased a really nice 2010 Custom, it had a 13" Freedom Shield on it, which I really like the looks of, plus it works well, but the top edge is right in my sight line...freaking annoying as hell to me. I put the 12" windvest from my old bike on it...love the windvest, but would like to try a shorter version of the Freedom shield as well, as it has the nice re-curve at the top, but flares out a bit too.

13" Freedom

12" Windvest

Edit...the Freedom shield is listed in the classified's parts section...Mine and another one are currently on the first page.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I have had a 15" HD windsplitter, test rode a 12" Klock works, both put wind and buffeting directly in my face...I am 5'9" with sort of short legs...I eventually bought a used 12" Windvest for my 2008... Recently I purchased a really nice 2010 Custom, it had a 13" Freedom Shield on it, which I really like the looks of, plus it works well, but the top edge is right in my sight line...freaking annoying as hell to me. I put the 12" windvest from my old bike on it...love the windvest, but would like to try a shorter version of the Freedom shield as well, as it has the nice re-curve at the top, but flares out a bit too.

13" Freedom

12" Windvest

Edit...the Freedom shield is listed in the classified's parts section...Mine and another one are currently on the first page.
Great Looking Bike

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may want to look at the Long Ride Shields. There priced very nice from what i read they work nice, I ordered one myself will have it next week ill post on how it preforms. Just be advised they are running 7 to 10 days behind on orders you may want to contact them prior to ordering. Good Luck
Peteshog, Have you gotten/tried out your new shield yet?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Hey Jim. I had a 2011 Road Glide and still have the 14", dark tinted, Cee Bailey windshield for it. I am also 5'10" and it was a great windshield in appearance and function. It is similar in style to the KW, but thicker and more stable. That shield worked so great, I bought another Cee Baily shield for my 2015 Road Glide. I had started with a H-D windsplitter on my 2011 and hated it.

I have a 2012 Road Glide Custom that has a Harley WindSplitter 12" shield that came on it.
It looks really good on the bike, but the wind buffeting is ridiculous over 50mph.
What are your suggestion for a better shield?
And I'm not really looking for the huge/tall Ultra glide types.
I've been reading all kinds of pros and cons on the Klock Works shields as well as the Freedom Shields and its pretty all over the place.
I'm 5'10" and the bike has 14" mini apes on it.
Thank in advance!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
12 inch LRS Stingray

Just got and installed a 12 inch LRS Stingray, at 6 foot 4 it kills at least 80-85% of the buffeting at highway speeds, and I can wear aball cap forwards, and hear the stock standard (4.3) head unit with boom1 speaker upgrade at 80+ mph. Couldn't do that with the stock windshield.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts