Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going all? I have a 2012 RG Ultra with the chrome 3 piece windshield trim on the stock windshield. I recently bought a 9" HD windsplitter but when I put it on the bike the holes on the chrome trim dont match up anymore. They are about 1/8th of an inch off on the sides. If I take the windshield off the holes match up with it and Im sure the shield is seated correctly on the faring. Not sure whats going on here but its driving me crazy! Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
I'm not an expert but I have had a similar issue when changing windshields. I did a lot of pushing and squeezing and eventually the holes lined up. Not sure if that will work for you. Good luck

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok still going through it and can't for the life of me figure out why this chrome trim is off so much with these lower shields. First I bought a 9" HD Windsplitter and the chrome trim that was on the bike with the stock shield just does not match up when the new shield is on the bike. I even bought a 8" Klock Werks and same issue. If I start on the center screw the last screw is way off. If I match up the 2 side screws the front is way off. I've seen these trim pieces on bikes with smaller screens so what am I doing wrong?

20190223_163547 by Seth Cavins, on Flickr

20190223_163451 by Seth Cavins, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Ok still going through it and can't for the life of me figure out why this chrome trim is off so much with these lower shields. First I bought a 9" HD Windsplitter and the chrome trim that was on the bike with the stock shield just does not match up when the new shield is on the bike. I even bought a 8" Klock Werks and same issue. If I start on the center screw the last screw is way off. If I match up the 2 side screws the front is way off. I've seen these trim pieces on bikes with smaller screens so what am I doing wrong?

20190223_163547 by Seth Cavins, on Flickr

20190223_163451 by Seth Cavins, on Flickr
That chrome (or black) trim has always been tough to line up from the get-go. Sometimes it's no problem but I remember a few years back this was a popular discussion. Are you leaving the center screw and the other side screws somewhat loose as you go around? If not, only insert each screw enough that it won't pull out so you can adjust as you go. Then once you get all of them inserted tighten a little at a time starting from the center out until you get them just snug enough. Also is the new windshield thicker than the original? If there is a difference in thickness it will throw things off.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
I had to do it with the fairing off the bike.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
That chrome trim piece is a paaaaainnnn in the butttttt. Have to leave everything loose, press, pull, mash and stretch and then it just barely catches enough threads to hang on - then hold your breath and tighten. Foul language make help too :smile:

Reactions: Little Wing

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have finally found the one thing that Youtube does not have a video on! If I figure this shit out Im uploading a video!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where's that video at ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????​
LOL, I said F It and gave up! That thing is a piece of shit and I can't believe that Harley would stand by that terrible design. No way in Hell it should be that difficult to put on, should match right up and bolt on without issue. Its a F-IN window trim! Im really starting to like the look without it better anyway!

·
Registered
135 Posts
LOL, I said F It and gave up! That thing is a piece of shit and I can't believe that Harley would stand by that terrible design. No way in Hell it should be that difficult to put on, should match right up and bolt on without issue. Its a F-IN window trim! Im really starting to like the look without it better anyway!
Just gotta get a poke in there for failing to deliver..............>:)>:)>:):laugh:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Now that looks eerie familiar... I had the same problem and I was annoyed as hell. I mean how come it's so difficult to mount an orginial HD-windsplitter with an original HD-trim!!

Like geo8866 said: push & squeeze! And try not to break anything - a couple of your favorite beers might help also! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts