Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 5' 8" and have a 2012 RG. What windshield would be the best for me to hear the radio and have no wind noise? I do not want to buy several windshield. thanks Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm 5' 8" and have a 2012 RG. What windshield would be the best for me to hear the radio and have no wind noise? I do not want to buy several windshield. thanks Jim
Check out freedom shields. They will send you the shield wrapped to try out, if you don't like it send it back to try another on. If you give them a call they will assist you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
+1 on Freedom Shields... you can contact them first and let them know your height and inseam and they will recommend a size for you. If it doesn't work for you, as stated above by joeker67, as long you don't remove the plastic sheet protector, you can exchange it.

I'm very happy with mine. Great quality and service. No complaints.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok I gotta chime in here. If you never tried any thing else the windsplitter might be, and I mean MIGHT be, an improvement. But i really doubt it. I had one on on my 2013 Roadglide special and it SUCKED! Pretty much any aftermarket shield would be better. Looked good but as far as performance goes there was no redeeming virtue to the windsplitter at all. Just another rip off Harley part. Now my experience with the Freedom shield is quite the oposite. They are a very high quality product with a great return policy to ensure you get the right size. Great people to deal with. And the price is good or better than most others. My 14" Freedom shield is so protective it's like riding behind a car wind shield with the windows down! Radio is much clearer and no more buffeting. My wife loves it. Even the rain is pushed up and over my head, unless it is a total downpour, then yer gettin soaked no matter what. The Freedom shields look very nice as well and are thicker material than any other shield out there. They also have the best finished/polished edge of any other shield on the market. A other very good shield maker with good products and customer service is Long Ride Shields. They have nice shields with a good flare on top that are very effective and well made. Priced right too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Madstad on my 08 Road Glide which I'm going to sell because I just purchase a 2012 RG. I had no buffering and I could hear the radio really fine and at a lower volume. But they don't look as good as other and I will say again that they do work great.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Nothing is better than Madstad ran three others before, search the forum is plenty on last gen bike shields.
+ not to put HD research down but Rushmore is kind of copy of the the design but HD change the faring to tunnel the wind. same principal very similar results.
Am 5'9" running the 13" great adjustability.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
First of all if you expect NO WIND NOISE when riding a motorcycle the only way to do this is to sit on the bike and not move. :confused:
I have used Windvest windshields for years and been very happy with the results.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
You cant go wrong with a Long Ride Shield and there on sale I just paid around $100 shipped

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
If you only want to buy one windshield and have the adjustment to get as much or as little airflow as you want then just get the Madstad and be done with it. I am 6'1" and I run the 11" shield in the summer and love it. The 13" would be much less air especially for your passenger. You will feel like you just did a $1k stereo upgrade. :D

Road Glide

·
Registered
91 Posts
Another thumbs up for Madstad. I just purchased the 13" Med Tint. I am about 5'9 and have a 31 inseam . Right now I am working to tweek the angle a bit but I have it set to about 14" with a 60 degree tilt. I can still se over it and cut down on the buffeting bigtime. I can also hear the stereo much better now.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have to second Ironmark; if you want no wind noise - ride the cage! :D
But seriously, I'm 6.4 and I had the WindVest 14" smoke which worked very well at cruising speed. But after I saw the Klock Werks WFB*-project and the speed-race on the Bonneville Speedway I was hooked. Not only do you get a great wind shield that keeps wind, bugs, pebbles and what not off your face, but also improved handling at high speeds!. You will certainly notice on a non-rushmore RG! So I vouch for Klock Werks FLARE
(*World Fastest Bagger)

KLOCK WERKS FLARE

Take your pick!

Reactions: EODHOG

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my 14" Klock Werks Sport Flair.

The statement was made that he had a 2013 RG Special, I Dont' Think So. Did you mean 2013 RG Custom?
just curious.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have a Madstad on my 08 Road Glide which I'm going to sell because I just purchase a 2012 RG. I had no buffering and I could hear the radio really fine and at a lower volume. But they don't look as good as other and I will say again that they do work great.
08 and 12 are the same fairing, if you like the madstad, why sell it?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have a small windshield collection. Thank goodness the MadStad was my third one or else I would still be collecting. Save you money, get a M.S. I have a 14.5". At its lowest setting it is lower than my 13" (other brand) windshield. At its highest setting I look through the top portion of the shield. At either the lowest setting or the highest it still provides more buffet protection than any other windshield I have had.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Call Madstad. No other windshield comes close to doing what they do.
Nothing is better than Madstad ran three others before, search the forum is plenty on last gen bike shields.
+ not to put HD research down but Rushmore is kind of copy of the the design but HD change the faring to tunnel the wind. same principal very similar results.
Am 5'9" running the 13" great adjustability.
If you only want to buy one windshield and have the adjustment to get as much or as little airflow as you want then just get the Madstad and be done with it. I am 6'1" and I run the 11" shield in the summer and love it. The 13" would be much less air especially for your passenger. You will feel like you just did a $1k stereo upgrade. :D

Road Glide
Another thumbs up for Madstad. I just purchased the 13" Med Tint. I am about 5'9 and have a 31 inseam . Right now I am working to tweek the angle a bit but I have it set to about 14" with a 60 degree tilt. I can still se over it and cut down on the buffeting bigtime. I can also hear the stereo much better now.
I have a small windshield collection. Thank goodness the MadStad was my third one or else I would still be collecting. Save you money, get a M.S. I have a 14.5". At its lowest setting it is lower than my 13" (other brand) windshield. At its highest setting I look through the top portion of the shield. At either the lowest setting or the highest it still provides more buffet protection than any other windshield I have had.
I have a Madstad and it made my exhaust too loud. :D

Seriously, the most common comment from new owners is that they have to turn the volume down on the music. I can tell you this windshield is beyond amazing. With the stock one I took bugs all across my helmet visor, and I'm only 5'9". I got the shortest Madstad at 11" and now the windstream is over the top of my head, and I've only got the windshield in the mid position.

This thing rocks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my 14" Klock Werks Sport Flair.

The statement was made that he had a 2013 RG Special, I Dont' Think So. Did you mean 2013 RG Custom?
just curious.
I am also 5'8" and on this suggestion from Swomack I got a 14" KlockWerks for my 2011 ultra. Spot on is all I can say.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have a Madstad and it made my exhaust too loud. :D

Seriously, the most common comment from new owners is that they have to turn the volume down on the music. I can tell you this windshield is beyond amazing. With the stock one I took bugs all across my helmet visor, and I'm only 5'9". I got the shortest Madstad at 11" and now the windstream is over the top of my head, and I've only got the windshield in the mid position.

This thing rocks.
Yup. I rode to work today without my earplugs in, and I was surprised how loud the exhaust seemed from the seat. It's not loud (stock CVO mufflers on a DX pipe) anywhere else, but with the wind noise eliminated, the bike sounds louder.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts