Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mother Nature is in full force here and as the days without riding drag on, the mods for the bike keep adding up. Anyways, I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find answers for through searches and I thought I would reach out to the groups' minds, perhaps you know these:

My bike is a 2008 FLTR

Does anyone manufacture a fog light mount that affixes to the front brake caliper? I'm wanting just the mount, I will work on which lights and wiring on my own and I would prefer not to spend the $600+ on Motolights or Clearwaters. Worse case, I will mess around with my friend's plasma table and figure something out, but if I can simply order a designed mount I am all ears, please and thanks.

I am trying to figure out where I want to mount my new front camera on the bike and was thinking that behind the light bezel, at the bottom of the lgihts and in the middle of the two lights may not be a bad spot. I will core a hole in the bezel and hard wire through the fairing. Has anyone tried this location? Will the lights drown out the camera? If I consider mounting the camera below the fairing, will the fender smash it on full suspension travel? My bike is on the stand so on-road testing isn't possible for months.

Pics of the bezel location I was thinking. I will have a friend 3D print a new mount to get the angle up higher if this spot may be acceptable or not.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Zedbra do a search on “Lighting” there’s a thread from years ago about making driving lights mounted to the brake caliper.
Also, when mounting the camera make sure it’s easy to disconnect when you have to remove the fairing.
Best of Luck Bro.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ I'll have a look, Mike. I did try searching prior to posting, but three letter words like 'fog' doesn't finite the search well, and brings up all kinds of results. Same for caliper. The camera does have a metal screw connector, so it is removable.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance. I have a front camera on my truck for a couple reasons but not understanding the purpose on the bike.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
^ I'll have a look, Mike. I did try searching prior to posting, but three letter words like 'fog' doesn't finite the search well, and brings up all kinds of results. Same for caliper. The camera does have a metal screw connector, so it is removable.
Here's the thread I found Bro.
I hope it helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please forgive my ignorance. I have a front camera on my truck for a couple reasons but not understanding the purpose on the bike.
I have cameras in all my vehicles and the footage has saved me from idiot drivers lying when I was struck one time. Plus, looking at ride footage can be cool every now and then. The unit I bought sends the footage via wifi, so it can be tucked away and all you may see is a little bit of the camera(s) - as I have one for the rear of the bike as well.

Here's the thread I found Bro.
I hope it helps.
Mike U.
Thank you! I was going through all the search results when you posted this link. Found a few people that said they installed a caliper mount, but no more details; so this is great. Cheers.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have cameras in all my vehicles and the footage has saved me from idiot drivers lying when I was struck one time. Plus, looking at ride footage can be cool every now and then. The unit I bought sends the footage via wifi, so it can be tucked away and all you may see is a little bit of the camera(s) - as I have one for the rear of the bike as well.
Makes sense.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I was going to put a go pro on for canyon carving. But a 30min battery and putting it on and off would be a pain. So I installed a front /rear dash cam. Now I only need to remember to change the SD card if there is something I want to keep.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still undecided on the front camera mounting. I was originally thinking about mounting it off the crash bar, but I was testing the footage tonight and you see the front wheel and miss the view from the other side of the wheel. Hmmm. How far does the fender travel up on full compression? Is there room to mount the camera on the fairing below the lights, between the fairing?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I didn't read the whole way through to see if you found your answer for mounting the lights but I think I can help with that. I've done it twice now. This is the swivel bracket off of a dyna turn signal. You have to drill out the hole for the caliper bolt to go through it. I used the stock caliper bolt. I've run lights like this for over 70k miles on all kinds of roads with no issues. Bad thing is you can't buy just one swivel mount from HD. They come in the full package for the dyna TS and only one swivel per package. Source the parts somewhere or buy two packages and have a bunch of leftover parts you don't need. Next thing. This metal is hard, very hard. 2nd set of these I did were chrome and are on my '15. I took them to a buddy's machine shop and had Him open up the hole for the caliper bolt on a drill press with his fancy bits. The ones in the pix here I did at home in a vise with an average Joe bit and it got really hot and discolored. You don't see it much on this one but the other side showed it and my OCD didn't want that happening on my new ones.

I might have my old lights and these swivel mounts laying around. I'll check next time out in the detached freezer, er garage over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ that's a very clean install. Thanks for sharing.

I think I answered my own question about the camera above the fender, looks doable without hitting the fender upon full compression.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
OBB... got a better pic of the mount???

·
Administrator
12,505 Posts
I have the INNOV front and rear camera, I mounted my front camera under the fairing directly in the middle, never had a problem with it hitting the fender, if the shocks bottom there will still be some clearance.

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the INNOV front and rear camera, I mounted my front camera under the fairing directly in the middle, never had a problem with it hitting the fender, if the shocks bottom there will still be some clearance.
Perfect - thanks. Did you bolt into the fairing, or simply relying on 3M tape?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
OBB... got a better pic of the mount???
Work gets in the way sometimes. Here's the swivels. The stud side screws into the lights.

Next pix is on the bike. Don't mind the dirt on it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Perfect - thanks. Did you bolt into the fairing, or simply relying on 3M tape?
I used 3m tape on my rear camera to the bottom of the tour pak. Works good. Front is a go pro mount to a windshield screw.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
1,829 Posts

Does the Swivel part (Red Arrow) insert into the Nut (blue line) up to a collar, then the Blue nut screwed onto the stud on the bracket?
Might have to go to my buddys place to use his lathe, and try to make some.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts