Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved up to PA earlier this year and usually just change the oil and add fuel stabilizer to a full tank of non ethanol fuel.

Any suggestions? Squirt some oil in the cylinders?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
So I moved up to PA earlier this year and usually just change the oil and add fuel stabilizer to a full tank of non ethanol fuel.

Thanks
You're only going to be down 3-4 months. Imo what you did already is enough, besides hooking your battery up on a tender. A good cleaning and waxing wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Good cleaning , battery tender,maybe a little sea foam in fuel run bike and park it. Not like your are leaving the country for a couple years. Fogging cyl is a waste of time. for a normal winter.
Advise come from someone in Wisconsin . Yes we do winter. 6 inch of snow last night.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'll second what smitty said.
I dump startron in the tank, run it. If it's due for oil change it gets it, plug tender in and cover it up.
Makes it easy to take out in the middle December when you get a nice day.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,416 Posts
Cover it with something breathable and you are good to go then (y)

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,594 Posts
If you fill the tank with non ethanol gas and are going to drain the tank within 6 months, then skip the stabilizer. Plug in tender and wait till spring.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Depending on where you store it, may want to push a wad of steel wool into exh pipes. I've seen crazy sh*t from rodents where they climb all the way into the combustion chamber and make a nice home for the winter.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Putting my bike in the non heated garage for this Chicago winter and will probably do some work on it. I have always put my bikes including this one up on the lift, plug a tender into it and call it done. Same for my Victory and my Riviera.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts

Thanks
The part of PA I live in, we can ride all year. Its the rare winter when it doesn't warm up into the high 40's at least once a week. And we can see 70's now and again.

Past that, on a FI Harley the fuel system is sealed, no need to do anything to it, just top it off. Older vented tanks will benefit from a little stabo in the gas. Past that if it's got more than a few summer miles on it, changing the motor oil before you put it up for the winter wont hurt.

Now if the scooter is stored where the temps are unstable or mice have access, its a whole norther story. Like a shed or barn. You'll cant to spray some WD 40 down the suck hole as you shut it down, then block the suck hole and the pipes off to keep the moisture and vermin out. Be sure to let the pipes dry out before you close them up.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
I just park mine, cover it up, connect to the tender and wait for Spring.
I’ll work on it when the temperature is nice. And start it and let it run for awhile also.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
A few years ago Rodents destroyed my main electrical harness... Cost me lots of money... I now put dryer sheets all over the bike and motor area...Fill gas tank, stabilizer , put up on lift so tires are off the ground, battery tender and cover with microfiber bed sheet... A good idea is also to over inflate the tires or move the bike every few weeks, bikes left in the same place for months can cause flat spots on your tires....

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
A few years ago Rodents destroyed my main electrical harness... Cost me lots of money... I now put dryer sheets all over the bike and motor area...Fill gas tank, stabilizer , put up on lift so tires are off the ground, battery tender and cover with microfiber bed sheet... A good idea is also to over inflate the tires or move the bike every few weeks, bikes left in the same place for months can cause flat spots on your tires....
I have FOBO TPMS on mine so I know the tire pressure. I also move mine around whenever I work on it or start it up. I also just bought a nice HD Cover for it.
Whenever I go out in the Winter to check on it I start up the electric heater I have and wait for everything to warm up.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
here in CT i just put stabilizer in the tank, fill it up with gas and park it in the garage with a battery tender on it. i also put a rubber glove over the muffler to keep the critters from making a nest inside it. although i got a kick out of starting it up and watching acorns shoot out of the muffler for 5 minutes lol

·
Premium Member
49 Posts

Thanks

I moved up to PA also 3 years ago and have been riding since 1981. These days I simply fill my tank up with ethanol-free gas and run it so it into the fuel system, wash & wax, blow dry, lift it a few inches off the garage floor, hook to a battery tender and put a loose cotton dust cover on her. If I'm near a service interval I may do that early but otherwise do it when the mileage warrants.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I usually fill my tank with Sunoco race fuel (optima) because that's what I run all my small engine equipment with, so I keep plenty on hand this time of year. put it on my lift with a cover and tender. Wait till till springtime.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My routine is, put in stabilizer before the last ride that way it's in the entire fuel system when she goes to her long slumber. Lift her off her shoes so the tires don't get flat spots. The day before she awakens from her slumber.....I charge the battery. It's been working for 15 years....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just another opinion. I always spray some fogged into each cylinder and turn the bike over a few times to get it throughout each cylinder. I used to have a lot of black smoke when I first started it in the spring and now I don’t. One can of fogger will last a lifetime, and do the other things everyone suggested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts