Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike. I have heard that I just needed to change the oil, put fuel stabilizer in the tank, plug in the battery tender, park it in the garage, and put a cover on it. Is there anything that I am missing is this accurate?

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
What's winterizing?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
I think its putting a coat of wax on it.. :D Seriously, I think you might also want to get the tires off the ground also if possible.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
bummer....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Nah we got till Dec 1 or the first snowfall before you need to do that in this great Hoosier state. Seriously tho change fluids, gas stabilizer, wash and wax,battery tender, get the tires off the ground should do it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My winterizing list is....
Thermal underwear.
Fleece zip up shirt.
Leather pants and jacket.
Winter gloves.I have to look into heated gloves this season.
Nomex hood (courtesy of my employer's fire department):D
Soft lowers on the engine guards.

If the roads are plowed the glide goes out..........even if it's just for a short run.

Last winter.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've parked my bikes for long periods of time when I was working in Iraq. I've had them sit for between 3 and 8 months each time. All I did was put in a double dose of sta-bil and run it for a few miles to make sure it was in the entire fues system and hook up a battery tender. Each time I came home I would just pull off the cover, blow the dust off with some compressed air, check the tire pressure, then fire it up and go riding. Never had an issue yet.

·
Registered
471 Posts
When I lived in MN all i did was what you're planning on.

2/3 can of Seafoam, pulled battery, put it in the warm house on a block of wood, left everything alone.

A week before riding season came back, put battery back in bike, put on battery tender, ran the bike in the opened garage every day for a week giving it mixed rpm levels to blow out the contaminants in the fuel system (Seafoam rocks), and did an oil change.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Winterizing in the NW means treating the leathers, water proofing the gloves and checking the rain gear. The rain season is beginning this weekend.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My winterizing list is....
Thermal underwear.
Fleece zip up shirt.
Leather pants and jacket.
Winter gloves.I have to look into heated gloves this season.
Nomex hood (courtesy of my employer's fire department):D
Soft lowers on the engine guards.

If the roads are plowed the glide goes out..........even if it's just for a short run.

Last winter.
Nice pic! I rode to South Dakota from Omaha for lunch sometime in the middle of January 2012!

·
Registered
498 Posts
On the fuel stabilizer, if you can get the Sta-bil Marine, it provides better protection for you seals and gaskets against the effects of ethanol.

W

·
0 Posts
For me in Montana where it gets so cold at times you can get frost bite just walking to the garage I do the following:

Full tank of gas with Stabil.

Always keep the battery tender connected.

Turn the heat on in my bike building/man cave.

Hang around the building during the winter cleaning up everything, listening to tunes, have a refreshing drink and on ocassion take a nap.

P.S. From time to time I open the overhead door, fire up the bikes and listen to their music.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Needless to say in Florida there is no such thing as winterizing.
But we do have alot of humidity and if you live near the coast, there is salt in that humidity so to protect my chrome and all the nooks & crannies on the bike, I constantly spray the bike with S100 Corrosion Protective spray.
I'm sure this would be beneficial for you as well....

·
Registered
114 Posts
+1 to Rufus and L-primo. NW riding is just about yr round. Add/Remove layers as weather permits. This yr will be the yr for heated gloves though.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I also live in Montana..I put on a taller windsheild,throw the full face helmet in the trunk,and put on hand shields.Ride whenever the road's dry.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My winterizing checklist.

1. Put the liner back into the FXRG jacket.
2. Make sure your winter gloves are still intact.
3. Make sure you can still find the fleece lined jeans.
4. Dig out the bike cover for those days when the snow insists on falling.
5. Switch the 3/4 helmet for the full face helmet, it is warmer.
6. Put the fairing lowers back on, the summer heat is in the past.

If the temperature is at or above 25F and the roads have been cleared, it is riding season.

·
Registered
875 Posts
layer up clothing and ride. Even if its for a short run..I cannot wear gloves due to issues with a couple fingers on each hand, so thats the only part that gets cold for me. I admire those guys posting from way up north riding year round, hats off to ya.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts