Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So......I've waited for awhile, to calm down.

It seems Harleys new Info stereo system does everything but connect to a set of wireless headset. Me, being clueless about electronic gizmo's, I ASSUMED the new Info system would pair with a Bluetooth headset. So I bought a Sena Bluetooth headset and a new Bell helmet made for the Sena system. The Harley Info pairs with my phone, but when I try to pair it with my Sena, it just keeps searching. I called Sena tech, and as soon as I mentioned a 2015 Harley, he told me no way and ofcourse, I wasn't the first to call.

So I call the MoCo and file a complaint. The lady that answered couldn't have been nicer and told me I wasn't the first to file a complaint. Then 2 days later I get a follow up phone call. I told the lady that I would have not bought the bike if I had known of the issues, of not being able to pair with a wireless headset.

So my question to our tech guys here, can this be corrected by a download? Or will I have to wait until Harley sells a wireless headset, before they will correct the system?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Glad you told me this! I've been looking at the Sena 20's and was "hoping" that it would pair with the radio! I'll probably still get it to pair with my phone and my buddy that rides and has one, but pairing with the radio would be great!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
It's absolutely ridiculous on a 20K+ touring bike, that Harley doesn't install a system that works with a blue tooth headset. Think about the CVO at 40K+ and you and your passenger still have to plug in a headset. There is no excuse for it on any of their touring models. It is one of the reasons I didn't bite on either 2015 road glide model. No ABS on the standard is inexcusable too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
These are Harley's people! If you want all the technical bells and whistles look elsewhere. It's not like we all don't know Harley is usually 5 years behind most technology?

If the OP wouldn't have bought a bike strictly on the fact that it wouldn't pair with a blue tooth headset he should have done his due diligence prior to buying the bike, "assuming" that it would work when spending $20K is just...................

I don't know about others on this forum, but I'm a Harley guy, and have been for the better part of 40 years. I've heard all the jokes and put downs, rode through the AMF years, and I'll ride my Harley's to the grave and I have to say it peeves me more than just a little when I read on ad nausium about Harley's lack of this and how "inexcusable" it is that they don't do that.

They are what they are, if you want more than that, then you don't want a current Harley, you want some other companies bike, then you could be on their forum complaining. Sure, Harley could keep up better, move faster with tech, but then they'd just be another Kawasukyamondatory!

Harley's are different, and I likem that way! If you don't, spend your dollars elsewhere, geez!!!

Reactions: SteveH and Ginee13

·
Registered
187 Posts
These are Harley's people! If you want all the technical bells and whistles look elsewhere. It's not like we all don't know Harley is usually 5 years behind most technology?

If the OP wouldn't have bought a bike strictly on the fact that it wouldn't pair with a blue tooth headset he should have done his due diligence prior to buying the bike, "assuming" that it would work when spending $20K is just...................

I don't know about others on this forum, but I'm a Harley guy, and have been for the better part of 40 years. I've heard all the jokes and put downs, rode through the AMF years, and I'll ride my Harley's to the grave and I have to say it peeves me more than just a little when I read on ad nausium about Harley's lack of this and how "inexcusable" it is that they don't do that.

They are what they are, if you want more than that, then you don't want a current Harley, you want some other companies bike, then you could be on their forum complaining. Sure, Harley could keep up better, move faster with tech, but then they'd just be another Kawasukyamondatory!

Harley's are different, and I likem that way! If you don't, spend your dollars elsewhere, geez!!!
It's a touring bike for crissakes, should have all the bells and whistles. It does have bluetooth to connect your phone or gps to the infotainment, just piss poor engineering on Harleys( HK) part. No reason you should still HAVE to use a corded headset when the entire radio was upgraded. Would i have refused to buy one without it, Probably not, But it might affect a decision to upgrade from an older one.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's a touring bike for crissakes, should have all the bells and whistles. It does have bluetooth to connect your phone or gps to the infotainment, just piss poor engineering on Harleys( HK) part. No reason you should still HAVE to use a corded headset when the entire radio was upgraded. Would i have refused to buy one without it, Probably not, But it might affect a decision to upgrade from an older one.
AGAIN!!! If you don't like what HD offers, buy something else, don't whine about what it doesn't have!! Touring bikes are for riding, not mobile command centers, I wonder how I ever did that 3000 mile ride 20 years ago without all this shite?? Oh ya, I forgot everything and just enjoyed the ride!! Where did those days go??

Reactions: hifiho and bcbuch

·
Registered
111 Posts
The reason for this is because on the Boom 6.5 infotainment system not all Bluetooth profiles are supported?"

The currently supported Bluetooth profiles for the Harley system are:

HFP
A2DP
AVRCP
MAP

HFP is hands-free profile; this is for interfacing a cell phone to a hands-free kit in a vehicle.

A2DP is advanced audio distribution profile; this is for streaming audio between a media device and a (vehicle) radio.

AVRCP is for remote control of the radio/media player; it allows a remote device to pause, skip, fast-forward, etc. on music tracks.

MAP is message access profile; it's used to exchange messaging data between a cell phone and a radio. This is typically used in vehicle systems for displaying (or speech to text if supported by software) of SMS messages.

What is not in he specification is HSP-headset profile. This is why your Bluetooth headset won't work with the 6.5 infotainment system.

Just as if you were in your car that has Bluetooth, like Ford Sync users, if you're on speaker phone in your car and you turn your headset on (that little thing that fits in your ear), the headset will grab control the phone from the car. The same thing happens with the new HD audio system with the current firmware.

Harley (Harmon Kardon) would have to add the additional profile (HSP) to the system.

[email protected]

·
Registered
451 Posts
AGAIN!!! If you don't like what HD offers, buy something else, don't whine about what it doesn't have!! Touring bikes are for riding, not mobile command centers, I wonder how I ever did that 3000 mile ride 20 years ago without all this shite?? Oh ya, I forgot everything and just enjoyed the ride!! Where did those days go??
+1 agree

·
Registered
876 Posts
"I am a Harley guy". Guys like this that don't care what the MOCO puts out is part of the problem. Without new riders riding their new products they will be gone.

·
Registered
417 Posts
"I am a Harley guy". Guys like this that don't care what the MOCO puts out is part of the problem. Without new riders riding their new products they will be gone.
Jim I've heard this for 40 years as well, and HD is still here, strong as ever. Of course I care that HD puts out safe and reliable motorcycles, which they do. I could care less if I have 30 different ways to be distracted while riding one! All this "being connected" really dilutes the whole reason for being on a motorcycle, for me anyway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, great way to put em belly up again, Tell people who know they can, and should do better, to go elsewhere. If people didn't bitch, they'd either be out of business or still puking oil all over the garage floor.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah, great way to put em belly up again, Tell people who know they can, and should do better, to go elsewhere. If people didn't bitch, they'd either be out of business or still puking oil all over the garage floor.
Seems you bought one? You could and should have done better, but here you are??

You sound like a non Harley owning hater though? Maybe you just dropped in to stir the pot?

BTW, Harley has never been "belly up"

Reactions: bcbuch

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow, all the hostility...here is my $.02

Do I think that Harley could do better in keeping up with advances in technology, sure.
Do other brands keep up with advances in technology, don't know.
Do I care about being able to link blue tooth headsets, phone, etc., nope.

I choose to ride a Harley because 30 years ago my uncle rode up on a Harley and I fell in love. Sure I have owned other brands, but it was a Harley that first introduced me to riding and it will be a Harley that I ride out of this life on.

If the OP wanted a bike that connected to a specific headset, then he should have done the research to ensure that specific headset would connect. A simple call to the headset manufacturer would have solved that problem and he would have saved $20k plus the cost of the headset.

Just the opinion of a hairy, tattooed biker.

Reactions: bcbuch

·
Registered
417 Posts
Wow, all the hostility...here is my $.02

Do I think that Harley could do better in keeping up with advances in technology, sure.
Do other brands keep up with advances in technology, don't know.
Do I care about being able to link blue tooth headsets, phone, etc., nope.

I choose to ride a Harley because 30 years ago my uncle rode up on a Harley and I fell in love. Sure I have owned other brands, but it was a Harley that first introduced me to riding and it will be a Harley that I ride out of this life on.

If the OP wanted a bike that connected to a specific headset, then he should have done the research to ensure that specific headset would connect. A simple call to the headset manufacturer would have solved that problem and he would have saved $20k plus the cost of the headset.

Just the opinion of a hairy, tattooed biker.
Amen! From one bald, but hairy, tattooed biker to a hairy tattooed biker!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

LOL, thanks for the words of wisdom.
I was giving everybody a head's up, so they don't make the same mistake as I did. But speaking to Sena and Harley, quite a few have made the same assumption.

Btw, Iam 61 and got my first bike at 18, a 1967 XLCH. Have rode nothing but Harleys my entire life, so you couldn't be more of a "Harley Man" than myself.
I too, had to listen to all the put downs, as I was working on my bike on the side of the road, from my jap riding friends.
I might add, they came back to Harleys, when I never left!

I bought a new 1980 Sturgis during the AMF years, great bike but leaked oil out of the trans seal. It was my first brand new Harley, and I could have care less that it leaked oil. I called it marking it spot.
I traded my 2008 Roadie in on this new one. My 11th Harley I have owned, which was the best ever. It did everything I wanted.

So yeah, I should have done more research into the newest and greatest, this 2015 Harley Road Glide. But come-on, a wire-less headset can't be paired?
But you know what, I'll ride the shit out of this new bike, as I have done to every bike I owned.
I bought it as a retirement present, so it will be my last motorcycle I ever purchase, unless something drastic happens.......

Keep the shiney side up!!!
Forgot to add, I still have hair......LOL

·
Registered
187 Posts
Seems you bought one? You could and should have done better, but here you are??

You sound like a non Harley owning hater though? Maybe you just dropped in to stir the pot?

BTW, Harley has never been "belly up"
They were all but, when AMF bought em. And no, I'm not a hater. I own an 04 Vrod and a Road Glide. The RG and Vision were the only options I would have considered. However, if Victory would fix the ass end of the Vision, I'd probably have bought one instead of the RG. I like American made stuff and want it to continue.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The reason for this is because on the Boom 6.5 infotainment system not all Bluetooth profiles are supported?"

The currently supported Bluetooth profiles for the Harley system are:

HFP
A2DP
AVRCP
MAP

HFP is hands-free profile; this is for interfacing a cell phone to a hands-free kit in a vehicle.

A2DP is advanced audio distribution profile; this is for streaming audio between a media device and a (vehicle) radio.

AVRCP is for remote control of the radio/media player; it allows a remote device to pause, skip, fast-forward, etc. on music tracks.

MAP is message access profile; it's used to exchange messaging data between a cell phone and a radio. This is typically used in vehicle systems for displaying (or speech to text if supported by software) of SMS messages.

What is not in he specification is HSP-headset profile. This is why your Bluetooth headset won't work with the 6.5 infotainment system.

Just as if you were in your car that has Bluetooth, like Ford Sync users, if you're on speaker phone in your car and you turn your headset on (that little thing that fits in your ear), the headset will grab control the phone from the car. The same thing happens with the new HD audio system with the current firmware.

Harley (Harmon Kardon) would have to add the additional profile (HSP) to the system.

[email protected]
Thank You for a concise and factual response.
So are you saying that a HSP profile can be a software download?
Iam retired, so I got plenty of free time to harass HK and HD.

·
Registered
417 Posts
No offense meant to anyone, I just am seeing a lot of negativity toward the brand I love over things that were unheard of 20 years ago and now we're complaining that we can't watch T.V. While we ride (tongue planted firmly in cheek!) my RG came with all this new fangled stuff like radio and CB but to tell the truth I never turn me on, they take away from the experience to me.......... Last thing I need is to talk to my wife if she isn't on the back, it's probably why I'm out by myself in the first place!! Lol

Reactions: Grumpyrider
1 - 20 of 63 Posts