Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start a thread on this device I saw online and youtube. I know there are newer cars that have wireless carplay, meaning you get carplay options on the stereo without having to use the lighting connector. I thought to myself there has to be something to give the option of wirelss carplay and I found this ->
CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay on CARPLAY2air.com

It appears you leave this plugged in to the USB port and every time you turn the bike on it automatically connects. Essentially it just creates a wireless a connection by having the phone recognize the Boombox as if it were wired carplay.

It seems like it would be compatible with the GTS. My plight is I like to have my phone sitting in my Ciro phone holder and not in the fairing pocket and I don't really want to run a wire from there to my bars.

Has anyone tried this before? I've contacted the company with hopes to see if they would let me be the Guinea pig of sorts and perhaps setup some kind of group buy.

If anyone has any input or interest let me know. I know the more people willing to commit the more willing they are to give discounts.

Reactions: jstucker1976

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
I wonder what the range is and the size of the unit itself? Not a surprise H-D is not listed, but might work anyway, at least until H-D updates software to stop it from working.

Reactions: snarley53

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wow funny that you started this thread. I ordered on of those CPLAY2Air adapters and received it this morning. I’m on my way out to test it on my ‘19 RGS.

I got it for my truck. I’ll post my results after I get to testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Funny. Let me know how it works. I'm about to pull the trigger on it but feedback would be nice.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
wow, $130 just to keep from plugging in a cord? nah, think i'll pass. but curious to know if it worked.

·
Registered
416 Posts
No joy with that CPLAY2Air. I can get it to work in my Chevy Silverado but the H-D GTS never shows the CPLAY2Air setup screen to configure the connection.

Bummer. Looks like I may end up sending it back as I don’t really need it in the truck.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No joy with that CPLAY2Air. I can get it to work in my Chevy Silverado but the H-D GTS never shows the CPLAY2Air setup screen to configure the connection.

Bummer. Looks like I may end up sending it back as I don’t really need it in the truck.

Just out of curiosity have you gone on your phone under carplay settings to select boom box?

·
Registered
416 Posts
There is a setup that needs to happen between the CPLAY2Air and the phone that does the connection. Your not connecting to your Boom with this adapter you are connecting to it and it in turn connects to the boom.

I can get to the configuration menu on my Chevy but not the Boom.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I believe what I am reading. Technology is really moving on.

2012: To hear the music stored on my iPhone playing through the non-Bluetooth stereo on a 2003 car, I had to go to an auto-audio shop and pay $200 to get an ''iPhone kit'' wired in. Phone had to be plugged in to a cord, and the right FM radio frequency selected on the car stereo to hear the music on my iPhone. Worked good.

2020: My teenage son just got his licence and has a 15yr old Mazda with a non-Bluetooth stereo and a cigarette lighter socket. He went to our local version of your Radio Shack and he bought for $15 a Bluetooth gizmo that plugs into the lighter socket. He then switches Bluetooth on, on his iPhone and it connects wirelessly to the $15 gizmo... he then tunes FM car radio to the stated frequency and hears all his Spotify etc music stored/playing on his phone through the car stereo. AND any incoming calls on that phone, the person calling him is heard through the car stereo . It's awesome.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wanted it so my wife can control the phone and I can do the same via CarPlay.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I'm amazed at how many people store "their" music on their phone. That would not in any way be possible for me. The good news is I have access to just about anything from Spotify or Pandora, and especially with Pandora, I can seed stations with music I like and not have to listen to the same thing over again, and even be introduced to new music. So I'm fine with Bluetooth, or frankly now with Android Auto, I'm perfectly happy connecting my phone and leaving it in the right hand glove compartment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm amazed at how many people store "their" music on their phone. That would not in any way be possible for me. The good news is I have access to just about anything from Spotify or Pandora, and especially with Pandora, I can seed stations with music I like and not have to listen to the same thing over again, and even be introduced to new music. So I'm fine with Bluetooth, or frankly now with Android Auto, I'm perfectly happy connecting my phone and leaving it in the right hand glove compartment.
That works well in areas that have consistent cell service. Doesn't work so well in the WNC mountains that don't have much service. Saving music on the phone or on a USB drive is the only way it works with no service.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wanted it wireless because I just don't want to have it deal with a cable routed to my ciro 3D phone mount. plus sometimes I still need to mess with my phone and I don't like having to fumble with it while in the glove box.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
That works well in areas that have consistent cell service. Doesn't work so well in the WNC mountains that don't have much service. Saving music on the phone or on a USB drive is the only way it works with no service.
Fair enough. But I still wouldnt know how to choose what music to store on my phone, out of my 2+TBs of stored music, so in areas of no service, I would just go without.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I wanted it wireless because I just don't want to have it deal with a cable routed to my ciro 3D phone mount. plus sometimes I still need to mess with my phone and I don't like having to fumble with it while in the glove box.
Yeah, with Android Auto though, everything I would want to "fumble with" on my phone is now on the screen. Waze, Google Maps, Spotify, Pandora, a couple of other apps. Bonus: when I get off my bike, my phone is charged.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wish they'd make something like this that doesn't require a wired/bluetooth headset.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wanted to start a thread on this device I saw online and youtube. I know there are newer cars that have wireless carplay, meaning you get carplay options on the stereo without having to use the lighting connector. I thought to myself there has to be something to give the option of wirelss carplay and I found this ->
CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay on CARPLAY2air.com

It appears you leave this plugged in to the USB port and every time you turn the bike on it automatically connects. Essentially it just creates a wireless a connection by having the phone recognize the Boombox as if it were wired carplay.

It seems like it would be compatible with the GTS. My plight is I like to have my phone sitting in my Ciro phone holder and not in the fairing pocket and I don't really want to run a wire from there to my bars.

Has anyone tried this before? I've contacted the company with hopes to see if they would let me be the Guinea pig of sorts and perhaps setup some kind of group buy.

If anyone has any input or interest let me know. I know the more people willing to commit the more willing they are to give discounts.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts