Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to wire my RT Zumo 660 to my '09 RG. The H-D instruction sheet for the Zumo (-J04901) has no information on wiring the unit to the bike. H-D's handlebar mount instructions (-J05415) aren't much better (IMO). I'm using an Iron Aces' standard mount. I'd like to connect it to the ACC plug as described in several threads in these forums. I'm looking for photo's of how to route the harness and what to do with the three plugs on the harness. Based upon the audio cable supplied in the kit, I'm guessing that it goes from the port on the side of the unit into the AUX port on the face of the radio? Any help or suggestions on where to get pics would be great. Thanks.

BTW, the Iron Aces' mount was easy to install! They did a GREAT job detailing and photo documenting the entire installation! Hopefully H-D will follow suit with future install guides.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
329 Posts
I hardwired mine direct to my battery. I removed my gas tank and seat and connected it to the battery terminals. VERY simple. I also used the Iron Aces mount and have the 660. I have a 2011 RGU and have the service manual that goes over how to remove the tank. I'd be happy to scan the tank removal pages and email them to you if you would like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have both the service manual and parts manual for my year, so I'm good there. I wound up buying a power-point from Iron Aces and used that to tie into the accessory connector under the seat. I too removed the tank and ran the wiring through the track. Where I'm stuck now is; I can't get the instrument bezel to line up on the nacelle. If I don't insert the lower tab, the screws line up perfectly. When I insert the lower tab as directed, I can't get the screws to line up. Everything looks flush and even, but the screws are a no-go. Any ideas?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks. I have both the service manual and parts manual for my year, so I'm good there. I wound up buying a power-point from Iron Aces and used that to tie into the accessory connector under the seat. I too removed the tank and ran the wiring through the track. Where I'm stuck now is; I can't get the instrument bezel to line up on the nacelle. If I don't insert the lower tab, the screws line up perfectly. When I insert the lower tab as directed, I can't get the screws to line up. Everything looks flush and even, but the screws are a no-go. Any ideas?

The plastic used for the faring and nacelle are very flexible and will not crack or break. Just deform the part with your hands as needed to get things lined up. Also of course make sure that all the wires are tucked away inside there as compactly as possible.
I once saw the service writer at my dealer literally bend the top of the inner faring (with the outer removed) almost in half on itself and it just snapped back with no issue at all. That plastic is really tough stuff..

Good luck
Ian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not as concerned about breaking the plastic nacelle as I am stripping the plastics screw tabs on the nacelle. I made that blunder on a softail frame once when reinstalling the seat; major oops. I will keep trying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts