Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I've got a question here. I just swapped out my HD heated grips (died just after warranty - of course) for Heat Demons. I've got the heating elements inserted in the bars and all is wired on the business end. My question is on the reverse end where I'll draw power. The HD heated grips ran three wires (red, orange and black). The installation instructions for the Heat Demons say to tap into an accessory line (Orange) so the grips are on only when the ignition switch is set to ACC or my bike is on wih the ACC rocker enabled, then ground the opposite side to the frame.

So...can I use the Orange line from the HD heated grip install?
Can I ground to the existing ground line (black) from th HD heated grip install?
What do I do with the remaining fused +12V line from the HD heated grip install?

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, after some digging I was able to answer my own question. The Harley heated grip install taps into the fuse box using the 2A "ACC IGN" line that is switched on by the ignition. There are three lines run up the frame of the bike and into the control side of the heated grips. The rationale for this is that HD embedded a relay into the heated grip itself that needs to be switched on in order to use the heat function. When switched, the heated grips run directly off the battery with an inline 4A fuse for safety.

So, to swap out the Harley heated grips for the heat demons I'm going to wire in a relay with diode suppression(HD part number 31504-91B) using the Orange line from the HD grip install to activate the relay, the 12V line direct from battery, ground and the leads from the heat demons. This should make for a seamless install that draws little current from the 2A fused line and keeps the heated grips from being active while the bike is switched off. Alternatively, I could have run them off the switched radio line but I didn't want to overload the circuit (grips take roughly 3 A).

Hope that saves someone the digging I needed to do to sort this out.

Cheers,
G

1 - 2 of 2 Posts