Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted about the Hogtunes set-up I am considering last week. The RF is also a consideration as well. Just seems the only easy plug n play harness is available from bagger nation and requires purchasing the amp through them. So has anyone done a write-up with pics on wiring up the rear speakers with the PBR300x4??? I would like to see some options of using line level inputs and RCA inputs as I will be using an aftermarket head unit. I am not an idiot when it comes to audio as I used to build and install high end car audio systems several years ago. But not that versed when it comes to m/c installs. Just weighing my options right now and don't wanna do the RF if it becomes a hack job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am adding a RF PBR300x4 and I'm thinking the wiring to the rear speakers is pretty straightforward. Regardless of which inputs you use (high or low level), you're going to run spkr wire from the amp output to the rear spkrs. I asked about what type of wire just to be sure and everyone more or less came back with using standard spkr wire. I have ordered the HD lids and that is where my rear spkrs are going.
Personally, I don't see the need for the Yaffee harness, I did consider it. If you're using the head units preamp outs, then some RCA cables will work and use standard spkr wire for the output to the speakers.
Unless I am missing something in your post, should be pretty straightforward without having to buy the Yaffee harness. BTW, you can pick up the RF amp on eBay at a very good price.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am adding a RF PBR300x4 and I'm thinking the wiring to the rear speakers is pretty straightforward. Regardless of which inputs you use (high or low level), you're going to run spkr wire from the amp output to the rear spkrs. I asked about what type of wire just to be sure and everyone more or less came back with using standard spkr wire. I have ordered the HD lids and that is where my rear spkrs are going.
Personally, I don't see the need for the Yaffee harness, I did consider it. If you're using the head units preamp outs, then some RCA cables will work and use standard spkr wire for the output to the speakers.
Unless I am missing something in your post, should be pretty straightforward without having to buy the Yaffee harness. BTW, you can pick up the RF amp on eBay at a very good price.
I thought there was some sort of harness to hook into for the rear pods. I think Hogtunes uses them and prolly Yaffee. I really don't wanna have to run new wires all the way to the rear pods.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
I thought there was some sort of harness to hook into for the rear pods. I think Hogtunes uses them and prolly Yaffee. I really don't wanna have to run new wires all the way to the rear pods.
Yes I saw a hogtune kit at the dealer
Last weekend. Rear speakers and wire
Harness everything for about 400.00
I think. You just need to buy the lids.

No rewiring involved

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm running the same amp and changed out the rears for Polk's, I just ran new heavier speaker wire (pulled the old wire out) in the tunnel under the tank when I had the tank off, I also ran a new power wire from the battery at the same time.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
ultra's make my brain hurt -

I left all the stock wire alone, ran my own, usa CCA 16ga from wally world on speakers, EFX for amps, used metal barrels for RCA cables instead

the knu concepts $17 package on amazon is about the best deal going, has 17' 8ga power, 3' ground, shielded RCA's, speaker wire, basically a good $35 kit for half price

I bought everything separate and spent way more

the stock rear wires end up at the back of the radio, which if you are installing a
handlebar controller, into that handlebar controller

since you'll have the tank, trunk, seat and fairing removed, like brewiz said, just reuse the same path, those factory wires would be dead at this point

I 3M tapes ( vinyl electrical tape ) anything and everything I could while the bike was apart

it's your call to remove or leave them in, I'd leave them in

re: hacking it up, a little black tubing, a little tape, cleans up easy

the biggest PITA overall is wiring all the speaker connectors, cutting soldering and shrink wrapping each individual one

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ultra's make my brain hurt -

I left all the stock wire alone, ran my own, usa CCA 16ga from wally world on speakers, EFX for amps, used metal barrels for RCA cables instead

the knu concepts $17 package on amazon is about the best deal going, has 17' 8ga power, 3' ground, shielded RCA's, speaker wire, basically a good $35 kit for half price

I bought everything separate and spent way more

the stock rear wires end up at the back of the radio, which if you are installing a
handlebar controller, into that handlebar controller

since you'll have the tank, trunk, seat and fairing removed, like brewiz said, just reuse the same path, those factory wires would be dead at this point

I 3M tapes ( vinyl electrical tape ) anything and everything I could while the bike was apart

it's your call to remove or leave them in, I'd leave them in

re: hacking it up, a little black tubing, a little tape, cleans up easy

the biggest PITA overall is wiring all the speaker connectors, cutting soldering and shrink wrapping each individual one

Yeah sounds like some work. Still deciding. Just found out my sales guy at the dealership has the Hogtunes setup I am looking at on his CVO SG. He offered to let me take it out for a ride to help me decide. If it isn't a go the RF is Plan B. And if nothing else it will be a free ride on a hopped up CVO. LOL

And thanks for the input. If the RF is a go I will be hitting you up for some brackets.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
very tedious, I almost considered marine grade terminal blocks, would make life
soo much easier, speaker wiring alone is like 25 easy steps

hawg wired is shipping and pre shipping the CS stuff, close to the
RF in utility, but extra effort in production and quality, $100 more per amp

what speakers? or are you not sure yet, SSL has good reviews, 2ohm only

big 4 usa bike audio co have lifetime, biketronics, JM, HW, hog tunes

is he okay with you doing a CVO brake stand too?

seriously, once you get the fairing off you may start thinking, what a jumble, and want to start rerouting and cleaning up the factory wires, other than audio wires, I installed tubing, makes the fairing glide back on

good luck

and absolutely

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very tedious, I almost considered marine grade terminal blocks, would make life
soo much easier, speaker wiring alone is like 25 easy steps

hawg wired is shipping and pre shipping the CS stuff, close to the
RF in utility, but extra effort in production and quality, $100 more per amp

what speakers? or are you not sure yet, SSL has good reviews, 2ohm only

big 4 usa bike audio co have lifetime, biketronics, JM, HW, hog tunes

is he okay with you doing a CVO brake stand too?

seriously, once you get the fairing off you may start thinking, what a jumble, and want to start rerouting and cleaning up the factory wires, other than audio wires, I installed tubing, makes the fairing glide back on

good luck

and absolutely

If I go Hogtunes I am going with their whole setup. If I go the RF route I already have a set of Titan II's that I had in my Street Glide. Just need to get new adapter rings. Not sure what I would use for the rears. And I usually do start cleaning up the jumble once inside the fairing. Did it on several of my other bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts