Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just thought i would post up. Just hit the pay now button on paypal and ordered my WO612s for my 2012 RGC.

Of course it doesnt help that i have ZERO patience when it comes to ordering bike parts. Come on UPS man! I ordered them like 5 minutes ago!!!

Anyway, with the help of DONKS write up, i am going to attempt to install them next Saturday as long as they get here in time. WIll have my wife and Coors Light to help me, so i will try to post my steps and missteps. Lets just hope mine goes as smoothly as some of yalls have!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bobby, I prefer Fed Ex believe me! It showed being shipped UPS though.....

Last night i spent at least an hour or more driving through Donks write ups again. Man, i almost psyched myself out... My big clumsy hands have me worried.....But the wives tiny steady ones should be a big help when it comes to some of it!

No matter what I am in it for the long haul. No way i am paying a dealer to do it..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you order them direct from Wild or someone else.
Got them on Ebay from HCCC (Hill Country Custom Cycles). Yeah i found the prices up to $10 dollars cheaper elsewhere, but i have dealt with HCCC before and had good experiences with them so i just used them.

I paid $201. Cheapest i found was amazon for $188 but after the negative comments i found about that supplier, i just went with one i knew

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got my tracking number and they will be here Monday! Plan is start the tear down possibly Tuesday now and spend a couple hours a day on in for the week so its ready for the weekend. THEN the plan is to take a trip for labor day weekend and put them through a good test!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I almost went with the 612's, even to the point of having them in the cart. I liked the grip angle better on them then the 502's but the 502's had the pullback that I was after. In the end my hesitation took over and I went with the 502's. I ran the 572's (14") on my 05 King and loved them. Bars arrived today and the wrist angle is a little off but I think it will be just fine. If the rain keeps up my ride tomorrow is off and I will start the install. For once....c'mon rain. :D

·
Registered
830 Posts
Donk's write up helped me!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have minimal mechanical ability and mine went fine. Wild1 and donks write ups were key, as well as patience, good electrical tape, weedwacker string, and wire lube from lowes. Make sure your wires go into the plugs correctly draw a good diagram. We are here if you need help !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i got the tear down done last night, up till the point of taking the wires out of the harnesses.

The bars should be here today, so i hope to get a good chunk of it done tonight. I brought all the wires inside and will do all the internal wiring and soldering there! (the wife is just oh so pleased with this!)

I have to admit, it hasnt been horrible up until this point, very easy actually, especially following Donks threads. One thing i did remember last second was the wedge in brake lever!

I had planned on doing a lot more pictures, but yeah, i was so concentrated on the bike i kind of forgot... Here is one i remembered to snap during a cold drink break.....

I hope to get some more status photos and posts up tonight. I hate doing things a couple hours at a time, but trying to get this done before Issac makes it this way and hopefully before a weekend of riding, weather permitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Somebody kick the crap out of me for saying it was going easy...

Spent a couple more hours on it last night. I had to make some alterations. Me and the wife tried as hard as we could, but we could not get the plastic piece out of the wiring harnesses to take them apart. (the part where you use the needle nose to pull the piece out) I even went and bought some smaller needle nose but still no luck. So i finally gave in, afraid i was going to break the harness and i cut the wires and ran them and soldered them back together....

I have the wires ran in the bars, (hard but vasoline and WD40 work miracles) and the green plug eliminated and soldered. Have the throttle side 100% complete, but still have to solder the wires back on the clutch side tonight. After that i will be ready for assembly.

Right now i have about 5 hours of work into them. I believe the hardest part is behind me. At least i sure hope so! In another 45 minutes of work i will re-assembling which i hope goes quickly.

I test fit them on the bike and i am going to love them. I think these will be perfect!

·
Registered
97 Posts
i just went through the same install, all went well till the clutch side wiring!!!! wow what a pain in the ass!!!!! it took almost 3 hours to get just that one side in and then i buggered up a few connectors so now i need to get get those tomorrow, dang it. But it looks so good i cant wait to finish

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well they are wired up and on and everything works! Still need to button up the fairing and put the windshield on and mirror adjustments etc.... but she works and she is comfortable!

I love the way they look, and man... i hope i never have to do that again. And lets just hope my solders hold!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hey Redleg, when you're all done would you mind posting a straight-on side view pic just like your avatar? When you're aboard holding the scoot upright like that, it offers a GREAT view of final grip position and how that relates to the fairing lines.

I'm trying to decide between WO610 versus WO612. I know where I want my hands to end up in relationship to the nearest fixed object - fairing - but I can't figure out which choice will get me there.

V/R
"Snoop", CVMA 20-1 XO

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Redleg, when you're all done would you mind posting a straight-on side view pic just like your avatar? When you're aboard holding the scoot upright like that, it offers a GREAT view of final grip position and how that relates to the fairing lines.

I'm trying to decide between WO610 versus WO612. I know where I want my hands to end up in relationship to the nearest fixed object - fairing - but I can't figure out which choice will get me there.

V/R
"Snoop", CVMA 20-1 XO
Can and will do once the weather clears up here. Should be able to get some pics up this weekend.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a few choice words right now.....

So finish the button up... Do a final check before going for a ride. Everything works as it should.....then the left blinker goes out....

So, anyone with a Harley manual nice enough to tell me which wire is the turn signal wire so i dont have to pull apart the whole harness?

Also, possible to remove the headlights without removing the outer fairing?

I have no intentions at this moment to do a full dissasemble for the blinker not working.... (ok so i will if i have to, but damnit man)

Anyway, about to go through the process of elimination to figure out what it was, but stopped by here first to calm down and vent.

I will say that i did get a 5 mile ride in real quick and everything worked besides that and they felt great. going to move them back about 1/2 to 1 inch but other than that...oh yeah.....

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a few choice words right now.....

So finish the button up... Do a final check before going for a ride. Everything works as it should.....then the left blinker goes out....

So, anyone with a Harley manual nice enough to tell me which wire is the turn signal wire so i dont have to pull apart the whole harness?

Also, possible to remove the headlights without removing the outer fairing?

I have no intentions at this moment to do a full dissasemble for the blinker not working.... (ok so i will if i have to, but damnit man)

Anyway, about to go through the process of elimination to figure out what it was, but stopped by here first to calm down and vent.

I will say that i did get a 5 mile ride in real quick and everything worked besides that and they felt great. going to move them back about 1/2 to 1 inch but other than that...oh yeah.....
The left turn should be a orange wire. The headlites will come out without fairing removal on the newer bikes

1 - 20 of 30 Posts