Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharing in case someone else experiences this issue. For the second time in two years, my RG loses all electrical power while riding. Slowly coasted to stop and would not respond to throttle - once stopped and turned off (kill switch) it would not allow me to restart it.

Last time this happened, my mechanic found it was a blown fuse. So this time I tested all fuses (all tested okay) but decided to replace them all anyway, along with all the relays (except the electrical relay, dealer didn't have it in stock).

During the hour drive back and forth to the dealer, I left the trickle charger connected - when I got back, the run/start switch acted differently. This time it would click.definatley pointing to discharged battery. Mind you, the fuel infection would always trigger on. So after talking to a ffriend and considering how old my battery was - I decided to replace the battry.

Sure enough, once the new battery was in - the bike started immediately.

My only question is, why would a bad battery kill all my electrical while riding? Is this a sign of a larger issue with my bike? Any advise is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Harley is not like a car. If you disconnect the battery. The bike will shut down. It needs the battery. I learned this in 1984 when my month old Shovelhead stalled and would not start. And yup. They charged me for a new battery. It was not covered under warranty. Lol.

I had that same fuse blow one night too. I know exactly which one you're talking about.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
The battery may have been old enough to not accept a charge and these bikes won't run with a dead battery. If you have a problem after the battery was replaced then look at either the voltage regulator or the stator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ironmark one day later, i rode it up the mountains for about 200 miles round trip. The only thing that was weird is that some lights will periodically go on and off. The check engine light, the battery light and the key/fob light.
On the return trip, they didn't come on during the last 50-75 mile.

any ideas.?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sharing in case someone else experiences this issue. For the second time in two years, my RG loses all electrical power while riding. Slowly coasted to stop and would not respond to throttle - once stopped and turned off (kill switch) it would not allow me to restart it.

Last time this happened, my mechanic found it was a blown fuse. So this time I tested all fuses (all tested okay) but decided to replace them all anyway, along with all the relays (except the electrical relay, dealer didn't have it in stock).

During the hour drive back and forth to the dealer, I left the trickle charger connected - when I got back, the run/start switch acted differently. This time it would click.definatley pointing to discharged battery. Mind you, the fuel infection would always trigger on. So after talking to a ffriend and considering how old my battery was - I decided to replace the battry.

Sure enough, once the new battery was in - the bike started immediately.

My only question is, why would a bad battery kill all my electrical while riding? Is this a sign of a larger issue with my bike? Any advise is appreciated!
If you have a volt meter connect it to the battery, start the bike and rev it up a little. If the meter shows around 13 to 14 volts your charging system is working properly. If not check the stator and voltage regulator.

·
Registered
693 Posts
had a similar prob. with an old 01 roadking i had, while riding in arkansa a few yrs ago, took it to pig trail harley and they said it was the security module (https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/factory-security-system) i didn't have a security syst. on the bike, they said it still had this module and it was bad and causing a continual drain on the batt. they didn't have one but replaced the batt. and said to keep it on the trickle charger every night till i got back to galveston. ran great the rest of the trip, got home bought a new modual at home and because i had no security syst. it was plug and play didn't have to have it married to the security syst. never had another problem with it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
X3. had a burnt cell or something on my heritage and the bike just died. not a pleasant feeling.
i suppose that a burnt out cell breaks the circuit???

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
... I left the trickle charger connected - ...Any advise is appreciated!
Hi blackshark, I noticed you use a trickle charger for the battery. I would higly reccomend a «battery tender» rather than the «trickle charger». Some trickle chargers actually do more harm than good to a motorcycle battery if you hook them up on a daily basis, you would rather want a intelligent charger like the battery tender for battery maintenance that automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode. Check out the Deltran battery tenders!

I use this one:

Power Tender 5 Amp Battery Charger

·
Registered
526 Posts
Battery

Had the same thing happen to me on my 09 Electra Glide 3 months ago, only thing is, I was at the dealer when it happened. Started it up, rolled a few feet and everything went dead. Did it twice more so i went inside and talked with service. They took it in and swapped the battery also said the positive cable had loosened. Ran fine after that, they took the bike in trade towards my Road Glide Special.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts