Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have some of the real wood fitting just about complete. Needs a few more coats of clear marine epoxy. Here are some teasers for this winters project.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't take full credit. I was able to get the pieces close but needed the help of a neighbor that is a hobby woodworker to fit the pieces and finish them.

I have great ideas, but mediocre talent.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Next do the Rolls Royce Burled Walnut thing...

Not only are your parts nice, I think there may be a market for them.

Good job.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Those look good ... can't wait to see them on the bike. I'm also interested in the bikes color.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Calgary what color bike are they going on?

Right now leaning toward the White Pearl Tricoat from GM/ Caddilac or maybe Lincoln. To my eye they are the same color, an ivory/cream color, not a true white.

If there is a difference I can't see it.

I have a set of white tins from a 2000 Road King police that i will put the saddle bag latches on to show some contrast.

Working on the "HarleyDavidson" badges to go no the side of the tank. This is proving difficult because of the compound curvature of the tank. I may have to buy a set of the tank badges off of one of the newer bikes to pattern the blank.

A few other things planned as well that I will show later in the winter.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Calgary what color bike are they going on?

Right now leaning toward the White Pearl Tricoat from GM/ Caddilac or maybe Lincoln. To my eye they are the same color, an ivory/cream color, not a true white.

If there is a difference I can't see it.

I have a set of white tins from a 2000 Road King police that i will put the saddle bag latches on to show some contrast.

Working on the "HarleyDavidson" badges to go no the side of the tank. This is proving difficult because of the compound curvature of the tank. I may have to buy a set of the tank badges off of one of the newer bikes to pattern the blank.

A few other things planned as well that I will show later in the winter.

Calgaryglide
Great choice in color. That's going to make the wood stand out big time. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wenge? it is very dark to begin with, sort of like a very dark walnut. I originally wanted maple but it was too light in color and is hard like a rock.

My dad's neighbor had some leftover teak from a deck project. He gave me some to play with and I have made a set of teak saddlebag latch blanks but tooling it is tough as hell. The difficulty is in tooling out the relief on the back side of the latches where the hinge mechanism is covered. I managed to router out the finger groove for lifting the latches but that was difficult. My router skills are rudimentary at best and downright dangerous to myself usually.

I really need a CNC machine for wood. Not that I would be able to run it but I know that is how many intricate metal parts are produced.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Wenge? it is very dark to begin with, sort of like a very dark walnut. I originally wanted maple but it was too light in color and is hard like a rock.

My dad's neighbor had some leftover teak from a deck project. He gave me some to play with and I have made a set of teak saddlebag latch blanks but tooling it is tough as hell. The difficulty is in tooling out the relief on the back side of the latches where the hinge mechanism is covered. I managed to router out the finger groove for lifting the latches but that was difficult. My router skills are rudimentary at best and downright dangerous to myself usually.

I really need a CNC machine for wood. Not that I would be able to run it but I know that is how many intricate metal parts are produced.

Calgaryglide

Actually, Wenge is harder than all of the Oak varieties, according to the Janka scale which rates woods. If you look, you will find scales that differ in the woods shown, but in each case, you will see that wenge is harder. I play drums and have a maple kit but also have a black Cherry snare drum. You should see drums made out of wenge...amazing. Check out the Janka scale below:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test&ei=vkpRUoDLN63I4AP2voDgBg&usg=AFQjCNHQZNxkw9gEs7zs47s4CzR5Km9tBw&sig2=Sunc2lAqRi_strPxzYFP5A&bvm=bv.53537100,d.dmg

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never new there was a hardness scale for wood. I've heard of moh's hardness, Barcol Hardness, Rockewll, and the one for Rock but didn't have a clue they existed for wood.

I am going to experiment with some oak, walnut, maple and some cherry. I know these mostly from furniture. I have a set of templates for the pieces, the only one I need to still do is one for an Ultra tank dash.

The saddle bag latch covers, the ignition cover and brake reservoir cover are all from Precision Billet. I ordered them as chromed blanks.

I have an idea now on how to do the tank badges out of wood. I will be looking for some older style tank badges with HD logos from the 50's to replicate in blasted wood profile.

Calgaryglide

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All the puzzle pieces amassed

Here is a photo of all the body parts collected/acquired for the woodside project.

saddlebag bottoms, 2008 crimson red sunglow
saddlebag lids, 2011 vivid black
front fender, 2007 mirage orange
fuel tank, 2009 vivid black
rear fender, 2005 vivid black (never seen the road)
chopped tour pack, 2000? dark blue and silver
front outer fairing, 2008 105th anniversary copper and black
side panels, 1 black 2005, 1 blue 2006

inner fairing will stay vivid black, black goes with everything

The new color will be gm (cadillac) pearl white tri-coat to contrast with the wood trim. Hopefully headed to the paint shop real soon.

Calgaryglide

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forgot about the Klockwerks saddlebag filler panels, currently black but will be painted to match as well.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is gonna be so sweet! Cadillac '' Diamond white'' is gorgeous my last CTS was DW. And the wood, great idea. I would Def be interested purchasing a set if you put em up. Can't wait to see the finished bike. A CTSV style stitched seat cover would possibly look pretty complimentary to all that class

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 34 Posts