Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, I own it..
It was built in 2003

Last night I was "clocked" by a sheriff officer on Interstate 95 @ 133mph.

I was on I-95 last night (early this morning) on my way home from a night ride when I got off on my exit. Exit 87. I was sitting at the light at the bottom of my exit when a PATROL officer (on the cross traffic street) made a left turn at the light and pulled up to the front of my motorcycle, telling me, I needed to pull over to the side of the road because there was an officer on his way to talk to me.
I pulled over, turned my bike off, and took my helmet, gloves and glasses off and waited. Another officer (not the one I was waiting to "talk to") pulled up and the 3 of us began talking. About the bike, Harley Davidson bikes in general and baggers. About 5 minutes had passed when the 3rd officer showed up on the scene. He immediately walked up and looked at my bike. He said 100th Anniversary! I have a 100th Anniversary Road King. Have you had motor work done to it, because my Road King has never seen the speed I just clocked you at.
I asked, what speed is that? I just clocked you at 133mph...
I literally Laughed Out Loud...
I told him, I can PROMISE YOU, THIS motorcycle is mechanically and physically incapable of going 133mph. It is a 99.9% stock 88ci. True Duals is THE ONLY MODIFICATION that has been done. He continued with "you were the only motorcycle on the road"

After talking about motorcycles and asking me if I had been drinking. I told him no. He went back to his car. The first two officers were still with me at my bike, the first officer even said.. you do understand, I don't have a dog in this fight. When I clocked you, you were doing ZERO, because you were sitting at the light...

The "clocking" officer then made a comment to me...

Which is why I posted this in the DYNO section...

He told me,
If you go to Savannah HD and get a DYNO print out stating your motorcycle is NOT CAPABLE of running 133mph, I'll drop the ticket..

So I called Savannah HD this morning... it's a 4hr minimum at $85hr
$340 to DYNO my motorcycle..

They let me go.
No Breathalyzer
No Field Sobriety test
No Handcuffs for going 65 OVER THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT

To me, something just doesn't seem right about the whole stop and the MANDATED DYNO run for proof that he wants...

Can anyone tell me where I can find (If it exists) some literature stating the to speed for a stock 2003 Road Glide? Preferably from the manufacturer..'
The service writer looked up my chin and the HD database shows no motor work had been done to the bike. I purchased it from the original owner and I KNOW he did nothing other than Stage I and Rinehart True Duals...

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Nice. My 05 88" with a Pro pipe topped out at 110 mph. That's all I could get outta her.

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
Huh, imagine my surprise to learn that this took place in Georgia. Have you checked to see in the Savannah HD service manager and the clocking officer have the same last name?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Did he have a "lock" on you? I got out of a ticket because of that...ie: no lock. I always ask now and ask to see it. Sounds like the radar gun is out of wack.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Not only will a stock H-D Touring 88" not run 133 mph, neither will a stock 96", 103" or 110". I think I would have suggested to the two other officers on the scene that the "clocking" officer have his radar equipment checked for proper calibration...and if you were running 133 mph, you've got to share the Dyno sheet with us!;)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
You should be able to get a dyno run not a tune for about $50. This would prove the top speed and give you HP/TQ #'s. The HD shop should be able to do a dyno run for you.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
How much was the fine you were getting? The way I see it, here in CT, at the very minimum and at speeds 20mph over the posted limit that is a $350 ticket. More than likely though it's a not so fun luncheon date with a judge and or prosecuter and a lose of license for a minimum of 30 days if not more resulting in a massive insurance increase if not complete insurance cancelation. Regardless of who the cop is related to, it may be worth your while to prove that the bike can't do what it's being claimed it did.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Who was the clocking dept. , Sav- Metro ? How fast ya think you were going ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
You should be able to get a dyno run not a tune for about $50. This would prove the top speed and give you HP/TQ #'s. The HD shop should be able to do a dyno run for you.
This seems like the way to go!!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
So,,,, did you win "the race down 95" as I refer to driving on that road? It's hell running 80 and getting passed by semis.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sounds like its time to hire a lawyer - one for getting out of the ticket and two for malicious prosecution. Any lawyers on the site with input???

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Sounds like its time to hire a lawyer - one for getting out of the ticket and two for malicious prosecution. Any lawyers on the site with input???
My brother is a criminal lawyer and a sister-in-law is a district judge. I'll run this up the flagpole with them for opinions...pro bono, of course! I know for a fact and from personal experience (not going 133 mph, however) he would have this taken care of with one phone call to the prosecuting attorney.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Last night I was "clocked" by a sheriff officer on Interstate 95 @ 133mph.

The "clocking" officer then made a comment to me...

He told me,
If you go to Savannah HD and get a DYNO print out stating your motorcycle is NOT CAPABLE of running 133mph, I'll drop the ticket..

So I called Savannah HD this morning... it's a 4hr minimum at $85hr
$340 to DYNO my motorcycle..

To me, something just doesn't seem right about the whole stop and the MANDATED DYNO run for proof that he wants...
Once your story has been broken down to the essential elements, it becomes clear that the "clocking" officer is the owner of Savannah HD and will be profiting greatly for your expense in mandating that you Dyno run your 133 mph RG at his facility. This is the only reasonable explanation!;) He has you either way.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The whole situation was sort of twilight zone-ish to me.. It seems, if I WAS going that fast, if have been arrested ON THE SPOT, and bike impounded.. for traveling 65mph over the posted speed limit... not sort and chit chat with three officers..

Also, he wrote that I was on a Road King..
He said he owned one.. unless someone put a shark nose on it, he would KNOW... Mine and his bike DO NOT LOOK ALIKE!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd talk to an attorney. Don't let this guy get away with this behavior. -"F" him.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Here's a copy of the ticket
I would have that framed and contact the certification people with The Guinness Book of World Records for entry in the Fastest 88" Road Glide In The World category.:cool: Of course they will have you do two opposing runs to make the record book so be sure to have the "clocking" officer bring that same radar instrument after you have performed the Dyno run at his dealership.:eek:

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
I guess I'd have to agree with mitchdm, and I know that unless you're going down hill with one heck of a tail wind, that bike isn't capable of anything close to 130.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Wow, that is some BS right there. You gotta fight this one. Before I went 124" and was running the 95" I ran my up to 120 mph. It was 3-4 am, racing some buddies and a few spirits in me. That was 3-4 years ago, I no longer have any desire to go over 100 most of the chit that can happen on the other side of 100 is BAD!

1 - 20 of 136 Posts