Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in a Aquatic AV unit in my bike does my 250 watt amp need to be adjusted for the new head unit??

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
I just put in a Aquatic AV unit in my bike does my 250 watt amp need to be adjusted for the new head unit??
You didn't do that when you had the fairing off ?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You didn't do that when you had the fairing off ?:confused::confused:
Well it isn't a big deal taking the fairing off/on. Also I didn't want to adjust the amp without knowing what the starting points would be for this head unit.
Also the 250 watt amp adjustments are preset and it may affect the warranty if I do the adjustments.
The only thing that would need to be adjusted would be the wattage input into the amp and the unit sounds pretty good as it is right now.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just talked to tech service at J&M and they said no adjustments were necessary the amp is fine with the factory settings.

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
ironmark ,,,,

not sure who you talked to at J&M tech service, but I think there is still confusion here ,,,,,

first of all is your J&M 250w amp a programmable type or does it have regular dial controls ? ,,,,,,

is your new Aquadic radio connected to the J&M amp with direct RCA-RCA cables/connections ? ,,,,,

I will help you get this right ,,,,,,

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just going to get the J&M 500 watt 4 channel amp. I hope it will fix my issue.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I am just going to get the J&M 500 watt 4 channel amp. I hope it will fix my issue.

Now you're talking. I'm running the 4 channel J&M 360 watt with a Jensen. 500 watts would be even better.

I was kind of wondering why you were hooking up an amp rated at 250 watts, on a radio rated at 288 watts. :nerd:

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
Now you're talking. I'm running the 4 channel J&M 360 watt with a Jensen. 500 watts would be even better.

I was kind of wondering why you were hooking up an amp rated at 250 watts, on a radio rated at 288 watts. :nerd:
For the Same reason he thought about adjusting the amp after reinstalling the fairing. :grin::grin::wink:

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The amp was already there. The 250 watt J&M 2 channel amp and the J&M Rokker speakers have been in the bike for a couple of years.
The Aquatic radio is a 4 channel radio that puts out 288 watts to a 2 ohm system which is 72 watts a speaker.
I wanted to leave the system as it was in the upper fairing which puts out 125 watts a speaker then add lower fairing speakers and run the 72 watts to the lower speakers. Doing it this way I wouldn't need a new amp and the sound should be fairly decent.
But according to the tech at J&M I can't run the amplified signal into the J&M amp from the Aquatic player, I would have to use the non amplified output connections and I would need a splitter with male RCA connections on both ends to make the 2 channel amp drive 4 speakers which would then cut the max power down to 62.5 watts a speaker which is going backward IMO.
So instead of getting the adapter harness for $80 from J&M I decided to go with the 500 watt 4 channel amp which should put 125 watts to all 4 speakers.

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
ironmark ,,,,,,

OK,,, give it a try ,,, but you will get the least amount of distortion using the direct RCA-RCA connection between the Aquatic radio and the ROKKER amplifier ,,,,,,,

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ironmark ,,,,,,

OK,,, give it a try ,,, but you will get the least amount of distortion using the direct RCA-RCA connection between the Aquatic radio and the ROKKER amplifier ,,,,,,,
John
Everytime I talk to someone at tech support at J&M I get a different story, it seems that no one there knows anything about the Aquatic AQ-MP-5BT-H Media Player. By no means am I a Audio Expert either.

There is 4 RCA plugs on the Aquatic player and they are all female.
There is a
Audio in Left
Audio in Right
Rear Line out Left
Rear line out Right

There is NO front line left or right RCA outputs.

According to the Aquatic Schematic the ONLY front speakers output wires are coming out of the stock HD 23 pin connector and the rear wires has a separate 4 wire plug coming out on the right side of the unit.

The last time I talked to a J&M tech they said I have to hook the front speaker wires from the 23 pin connector to the amp and use the Aquatic rear speaker 4 wire harness and run that to the amp too.
There is no output power adjustment on this Aquatic model so no matter what I am going have to drive the amp with the Media Players amplifier which one of your tech supports said I couldn't do and that is the reason for getting the 500 watt 4 channel amp.
I also mentioned to the tech during the last call which is the same thing that was stated on the note that was sent in with my old 2 channel 250 watt amp that I "wanted everything needed to hook up the Aquatic AQ-MP-5BT-H to the amp".

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Iron mark, I'm not overly familiar with this unit but here is what I'm getting from your post:

It looks like that head unit is "plug and play" as long as you use either the internal amp or one of THEIR amps. It looks like the front outputs are wired into the 23 pin port on the rear of the head unit. Again, that's using only the internal amp in the head unit.

If you want to amp the fronts, you may have to splice the speaker wires coming out of the 23 pin connector and run hi level into an aftermarket amp or run it into a line out converter and then into an aftermarket amp via RCA.

For rears, it looks as if the amp does have rear RCA preouts so you can run male to male RCA cables to connect to the rear channel inputs on the amp.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
Ironmark ,,,,,

I am the president of J&M ,,,, been doing this for 38 years ,,,,

NO ONE on the J&M tech lines currently have the correct information about the new Aquatic radio ,,,,,,,

I will give them a full briefing when I return from Galveston next week ,,,, until then, talk to me only please ,,,,,,,

very sorry again for the confusion ,,,,,

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Ironmark ,,,,,

I am the president of J&M ,,,, been doing this for 38 years ,,,,

NO ONE on the J&M tech lines currently have the correct information about the new Aquatic radio ,,,,,,,

I will give them a full briefing when I return from Galveston next week ,,,, until then, talk to me only please ,,,,,,,

very sorry again for the confusion ,,,,,
John, as a member of the RG Forum, I want to thank you for stepping up to the plate about your employees short comings on this knowledge and taking responsibility. This is very commendable and why I like doing business with companies such as yours. Thank you again for your help in resolving the bad amp I had and getting the situation remedied.
David Burks

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
IronMark ,,,,,

I also have a new Aquatic radio waiting for me when I return to Tucson on Wednesday next week ,,,,, ((we are in Galveston right now)) ,,,,

I am going to mount it into our own 2012 StreetGlide in place of the Haley HK radio ,,,,, then we will learn all of the correct connection procedures and amplifier tuning that needs to be done, to allow the new Aquatic radio to perform at its maximum level ,,,,,,

I will of course post the results here on RoadGlide forums ,,,,,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts