Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My funds are low and I need a battery for my other scoot (96 Fatboy). Is it worth it to save $50 and buy an after market battery?

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
I never buy batteries from the dealer, it's not like HD makes batteries, they just make money off of them. You can buy the same battery for half the price.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Absolutely. I bought a Dekka shipped to my house for $100. Dealer wanted $175+ tax. Same damn battery too.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Every scoot battery I've replaced has been a yuasa, never had a lick of issue with them. Not the cheapest of the aftermarket offerings, but a very good one.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Another Batterymart.com user here

·
Registered
927 Posts
Unlike the original battery that came with the bike, the HD replacement battery only has a 1 year warranty.

Unless the original will be replaced by warranty, I prefer an aftermarket battery for the reasons already mentioned above.

·
Registered
970 Posts
After market battery

My funds are low and I need a battery for my other scoot (96 Fatboy). Is it worth it to save $50 and buy an after market battery?
I tried to replace my VROD battery with another HD. It lasted 4+ years with a battery tender. This included leaving the switch on twice on rides and running the battery dead. I thought this was respectable battery life. I tried to buy another HD battery when it was time, but the local HD dealer sales department wasn't interesting in taking the time to sell a battery for a "semi-metric" VROD.

Pissed me off and bought an after market battery. There are several good brands. I just recommend you read the online reviews first.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything BUT a aftermarket battery.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I bought a Shorai lithium battery for my Yamaha RS Warrior, it was about $140. I've had it for about 4-5 years and it has never been on a charger. It still starts the bike faster than the stock battery did by far. It only weighs 2.15 lbs. and is half the size of the stock battery. So far i have been fully satisfied with it. My 2013 RGC i believe, still has the stock battery, so it probably won't last to much longer i imagine. But not sure i want the lithium in my Harley. Anyone try the Shorai in there Glide?

Reactions: SteadyEddie

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bought a Shorai lithium battery for my Yamaha RS Warrior, it was about $140. I've had it for about 4-5 years and it has never been on a charger. It still starts the bike faster than the stock battery did by far. It only weighs 2.15 lbs. and is half the size of the stock battery. So far i have been fully satisfied with it. My 2013 RGC i believe, still has the stock battery, so it probably won't last to much longer i imagine. But not sure i want the lithium in my Harley. Anyone try the Shorai in there Glide?
I have not, but have talked to people who have. Bottom line is don't do it. Way more expensive than a Big Crank and has about 1/3 the capacity, meaning if you put it on a bike with a parasitic load, you will run down the battery 3x quicker than with an AGM battery. The only advantage that they give is lighter weight and higher amperage on start up. The bike weighs about 900 lbs anyway, so the weight savings is not going to be noticeable. If your bike is stock, an AGM like a Deka (Big Crank) is what I recommend and will be putting on my Harley when needed.
I have lithiums on my high compression Ducati and my ST1300, where weight savings and higher amps at startup are more noticeable and important but keep them on a lithium specific tender.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Every scoot battery I've replaced has been a yuasa, never had a lick of issue with them. Not the cheapest of the aftermarket offerings, but a very good one.
+1 I have used Yuasa for years. Usually get about 5-7 years out of them before the first signs of any issue. I do keep my bikes on battery tenders all the time they are parked.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Bought a battery online from Advanced Auto. Found a nice coupon to use plus the core exchange on top of the coupon. 1/2 hour later drove to the nearest store to pick it up. Still was going strong for the 3 years I had it on the bike when I traded it in for my Glide.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts