Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a 2022 Road Glide Limited and am trying to decide where to spend my money on initial parts. I have had my mind set on a detachable tour-pak, because my wife is a bit nervous about getting on the back. So, I figure, why have the big ol's seat if it isn't getting used? I would rather have a sleak look when I am alone.

But, lately I have been thinking about performance (sound, engine, ride) more.

I am considering a full Stage I upgrade (likely Screamin' Eagle, just because I want to stay 100% HD). I think it will give my bike a nice sound and a bit of pickup at the hgh-end.

On the other hand, having her and gear on the back makes me wonder about suspension. The RGL is better than the RGS (which is the look I would be going for without the pak). But, maybe not good enough (together we are about 400lbs).

So, I'm not sure where to put $1k+. It's in my budget for purchase, but if I do any of them down the line it's a separate hit to the checkbook.
Also, I don't even know if I NEED the Stage I or suspension. The bike might be just fine, as is (which is what my wife says).

So, where would you put your money for the first major upgrade and why?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Start with functionality. You’re already getting an acceptable performance package that can evolve over time, so start with the accessories that’ll make your wife happy in the beginning. It’ll make it easier for her to support your performance investments down the road 👍

·
Registered
125 Posts
My preference has been suspension, handlebars, exhaust, speakers (in that order). That said, why not just ride it as is (hold on to the $$$) for now, get some milage under your belt. Feel her out - you’ll know where your priorities become important to you as a rider. Once you decide what you’d like to replace/add and would like some opinions on specific parts you’re looking at - this forum is more than happy to supply you with endless suggestions and assist you in spending your money 😎.

·
Super Moderator
5,788 Posts
Most would choose comfort mods first. Things like windshield, bars, seat and suspension. We are all built differently so do what @Midnight suggested and ride it for awhile and then decide what’s most important.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
1,138 Posts
First congrats on a really nice bike.How about get your hands on it run it thru it’s break in and do nothing Just ride it. Plenty of time to get the feel of the bike with and with out your wife.You’ll know pretty quick what you need.Order the accessories and hopefully they will be in by your 1k service. Dealer install and off you go… until your 5 k service then you’ll be back for more accessories! Good luck

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Go with comfort and some of the comfort items will improve the looks . The only performance mods needed is a exhaust and air intake, tuner and maybe a cam other then that leave the rest alone
Remember every dime you put in your bike you won't get back.
I went through the upgrade thing and the best upgrades I made were in comfort then looks was the 2nd best.
The worst upgrades I made were performance. Put a bunch of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ into a stage 4 and paid a performance shop to do the stage 4 and I wasn't happy.
I put the engine back to stock (did it myself) and only had a cam ,intake and exhaust upgrade in the bike and I was happy.
Eventually I had to replace the engine that I had the stage 4 in and replaced it with a brand new engine and I rode the bike with only a intake and exhaust upgrade until this summer when I found a new cam sitting around in my storage and decided to put it in. I do most of my own work on my bike so I don't need to pay labor cost and I been putting bling on the bike since 08 and there is nothing left for me to buy except tires and filters and oil.
You should determine on how long you are going to keep the bike before you sell or trade and then make your decision based on that.
Anyways it's your money and your ride so you decide. JMO

Mark

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Obviously both but do what you can comfortably do when you comfortably can. I wasnt in the best financial situation when I bought my 09 new. I wanted a cvo but couldn't afford one at the time and I could barely afford the "regular" RG I bought. I wound up doing the visual mods first as I could afford to do them until I was happy(ier) with it. Eventually my financial situation turned around and I went hog wild on the performance stuff. Like I said, do whatever you want to your bike and don't worry about what other do or think. Good luck, enjoy and post pictures when you do 😉

Reactions: MJacobsen

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
1) Comfort
2) looks or non-powertrain performance...which ever you prefer
3) non-powertrain performance or looks...which ever you prefer
4) powertrain performance after the warranty expires

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Function first last and always.. Everything else takes a back seat.. Ride the darn thing a lot before making any changes.. Do not get caught up in dealership BS.
I must be the same size HD uses to design bikes. It seems that Handle bars,Seats and windshields fit me right from the factory. Factory shocks also have served me well. My 2011 I changed the rear shocks . Seems all the chatter about better ones got me. What I found was I wasted time and cash.
Pre M8 Stage 1 did little but make bike sound better. Stage 2 yea notice difference. M8 stage 2 aftermarket . Hold on no need to look a Dyno sheet to know it made a major difference.
In my case stage 2 update was not about going fast. I was about putting torque where I needed it. With the sidecar weight and drag become a big issue.
As miles pile up the bike may lose some appeal . So a change now and then keeps the appeal fresh. Lower cost than a new ride every year.

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,445 Posts
Here's the real deal, pay attention......
You do whatever you need to do, to make the wife comfortable, that's the most important thing. You want your wife to enjoy riding with you. The more comfortable she becomes, the more pleasure you will get from the bike.
All that other shit, can wait. And here's why.....
If the wife is happy and enjoys riding, she will want things for the bike too..... which is a win-win for you. As you get her comfortable on the bike, complain about the bike needing a little more power. Complain about how it needs to be louder to be safer, doing it this way,. A lot of heartache and a lot of dickering will be saved..... Put the wife first...... I promise you you will be rewarded by doing so.....
I had given the same speech, too many of my friends that have purchased Harleys,
A few of my friends have come up to me and said I thought I would never get my wife on a bike thank you....
I've also had my friends come up to me and say, you're not going to believe this my wife wants to spend money on on the engine making a little bit better , my wife wants me to spend money on the rear suspension to give it a better ride. You see where all this is going right, and the only way that you can plant these seeds, is by making her comfortable on the bike.
It's fail proof, and has demonstrated that it really works....
Good luck on your new adventure, enjoy the things that are about to come your way.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.