Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,444 Posts
Grasshopper, let the bike tell you what it needs. AFTER, you've put some miles and time in the saddle by yourself, and are comfortable with piloting a 1,000 lb. touring bike around, you should take wifey on numerous short rides to get her comfortable on the bike. Then plan a long weekend ride for two to a wifey friendly destination that's at least 200 miles away. Do it when there is no rain or other inclement weather predicted. If your wife is a little nervous about getting on the back of the bike, getting her soaking or half frozen is not the way to start things. Stay off the interstate on the way there. Take secondary roads with mostly gentle sweeping curves, good scenery, and some things to stop and see and/or do. Stop every 60-90 minutes to let both of you get off the bike - even if it's only for a 10 minute photo-op. When you stop, LISTEN to any comments she makes about the bike and file them in your memory. Enjoy a couple days of riding and doing other tourist things. Over dinner at a nice restaurant each evening, have a casual wrap-up conversation about the day's ride and any concerns she has with the bike. Listen to what she says and commit it to memory. Men aren't particularly good at that so take notes if you need to.

On the way home take the interstate but don't forget to stop every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Again, listen to what she says about her comfort level.

It goes without saying that during the whole trip you should also make notes about things you like/don't like about the bike. (Handlebars/seat/floorboard position, etc.). After arriving home, do a little more formal debriefing and let her know that you're asking her these questions because you want her to be comfortable and feel safe on the bike because of all the future fun you two can have doing more of these weekend adventures together.

After all that, you should have a 'road map' of what works for you and for her and what are the priorities in terms of changes that need to be made. Hint: fix the 'comfort' issues first. As the old expression goes, "If mama ain't happy, no one's happy".

Welcome from SW Florida

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have had my mind set on a detachable tour-pak, because my wife is a bit nervous about getting on the back. So, I figure, why have the big ol's seat if it isn't getting used?
Q. Should I get a full sized TourPak?
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

A. Yes, Yes you should.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

While mine is detachable, it's just way too damn handy to ever take off.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Good advise here...it's a beautiful bike right off the lot so just ride it and give it some time to tell you what it needs. Unless you are very tall it should be pretty comfy aside from the windshield which is useless stock. Just ride it and get a feel for any changes that would make YOU and HER happier. Most go for a shield, bars and seat but that's a very specific choice and takes time to figure out.

Regarding performance, Stg 1 is pretty much a change in tone with very minimal effect on performance. Not a bang for the buck improvement until you go with a Stg 2 (exh, intake, cam, tune). After riding awhile, if you can't live with the stock sound it's cheaper to install slip-ons of your choice later. Not hard to do yourself...no need to 'reflash', and no warranty issues. Down the road (after warranty expires) consider a Stg 2 for a bump in performance.

Reactions: MJacobsen

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
8 years ago...would have said "screw looks, cant see it when it blows past 'em" and gone all performance - Now, Comfort come first for me....then looks.....and I am really okay with the stock 114 for what I want the bike to do

You earned the $$.....spend it on whatever the fuck you want

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am about to buy a 2022 Road Glide Limited and am trying to decide where to spend my money on initial parts. I have had my mind set on a detachable tour-pak, because my wife is a bit nervous about getting on the back. So, I figure, why have the big ol's seat if it isn't getting used? I would rather have a sleak look when I am alone.

But, lately I have been thinking about performance (sound, engine, ride) more.

I am considering a full Stage I upgrade (likely Screamin' Eagle, just because I want to stay 100% HD). I think it will give my bike a nice sound and a bit of pickup at the hgh-end.

On the other hand, having her and gear on the back makes me wonder about suspension. The RGL is better than the RGS (which is the look I would be going for without the pak). But, maybe not good enough (together we are about 400lbs).

So, I'm not sure where to put $1k+. It's in my budget for purchase, but if I do any of them down the line it's a separate hit to the checkbook.
Also, I don't even know if I NEED the Stage I or suspension. The bike might be just fine, as is (which is what my wife says).

So, where would you put your money for the first major upgrade and why?
With only a $1k budget for mods, I am afraid you won’t get much done in any category. That said, I logged 5,000 miles in my first 45 days on my new 2020 107 RG, and by then knew I needed a seat, taller windshield, suspension, and bars, in that order. With a larger budget for mods, I also did extended foot controls for my size 13-14 boots. Only then did I go down the path of a Stage II. I spent a ton on mods in the first 60 days to get everything under factory warranty. With you starting with the limited, you may be fine with many of the stock items that I swapped on my standard RG. You are starting with a 114, more comfy seat, taller bars and windshield, and longer shocks already. I suspect the best place to think about upgrading anything is going to be suspension, rear shocks first for your wife’s comfort, then the front forks for better handling, which makes a big difference in slow speed maneuvering, especially two-up. So, ride as much as you can in the first 30-45 days, then weigh your options. Trust me, a $1k budget will go by in a flash, so choose carefully where to spend it. Best of luck with your new ride!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Lots of people so far said to ride it for. While and get used to it first before doing any mods. I agree with that as well. You might like it as is...

Then, as soon as you start to see things you want changed, enjoy the experience and do it yourself. Have some man time in the garage.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
For me it was comfort first. Seat and suspension were the first things I changed. Then ride the bike a while and decide what you want to do. IMO, if you change too many things too fast you may end up repeating some changes, and/or get bored with the bike and want to trade it in. Some people get addicted to making it their own, I won't mention names because those on this forum know who they are. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

Lots of good ideas here so far.

You have the same problem we all have with a new RG, more wants than $$$.

Your budget is 1k?

For me,

Slips and bars if you shop around you can make your $ work. Because stock is too quiet and the stock bars suck. You already have a cozy seat and descent rear shocks.

The M8 is super sensitive to back pressure, lots of good info here on good slip ons that sound better than stock and won't hurt performance. a full stage 1 won't give you any real performance gains.

Lots of decent replacement handlebars out there for reasonable $. The 3 RG's I have owned the stock bars for me were very uncomfortable.

Besides all the above, if you stay on this forum long enough whatever performance modifications you think you want to do today will turn into a stage 2,3,4, or a 128 kit-don't laugh!!!

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,296 Posts
We talking women or bikes?
Kinda similar, no sense having golf ball/garden hose performance and need a bag. Ride it and figure out the balance to suit you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the quick disconnect and dont use it. The tour pak comes off with 4 torx bolts and electrical connectors. Dont waste your money, mine is off in 15 mins. I would ride it and then see what you think. There will be no gain in a stage 1. As far as pipes go I would listen to some M8's and go with what you like. I have an 18 RGU and put in the torque cam in it and SE tuner. I also have the Revo A's and I and the wife love them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This was fantastic! Thank you to all of you! I was told "the people here will be happy to help you spend your money". They weren't wrong! Y'all helped in the best way possible, with honesty and experience.

The general consensus is ride it until you know what it needs, but make sure the wife is happy. Sage advice. Thank you!
The other common thought is comfort/function first. Kinda goes with "make the wife happy", and definitely helps me set priorities.

I'm coming off a 2010 Dyna Super Glide. A much smaller bike, and the only thing I ever changed was looks. I'm a chrome man, so that's what's always on my Christmas list. That won't change with this bike!

Again, I didn't expect so much help and I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am about to buy a 2022 Road Glide Limited and am trying to decide where to spend my money on initial parts. I have had my mind set on a detachable tour-pak, because my wife is a bit nervous about getting on the back. So, I figure, why have the big ol's seat if it isn't getting used? I would rather have a sleak look when I am alone.

But, lately I have been thinking about performance (sound, engine, ride) more.

I am considering a full Stage I upgrade (likely Screamin' Eagle, just because I want to stay 100% HD). I think it will give my bike a nice sound and a bit of pickup at the hgh-end.

On the other hand, having her and gear on the back makes me wonder about suspension. The RGL is better than the RGS (which is the look I would be going for without the pak). But, maybe not good enough (together we are about 400lbs).

So, I'm not sure where to put $1k+. It's in my budget for purchase, but if I do any of them down the line it's a separate hit to the checkbook.
Also, I don't even know if I NEED the Stage I or suspension. The bike might be just fine, as is (which is what my wife says).

So, where would you put your money for the first major upgrade and why?
I know they look a whole lot sleeker without the trunk, but man its so nice being able to hop off the bike, drop my helmet and gloves in , latch it and walk away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The tour pak comes off with 4 torx bolts and electrical connectors. Dont waste your money, mine is off in 15 mins. ... I also have the Revo A's and I and the wife love them.
4 bolts and it's off is great to know! Honestly, my hope is that once my wife is on it I will rarely be alone. If so, that'll be money well saved. Thanks for that tip!
Based on the feedback here, the Revo A's will probably be my first major upgrade. AFTER I put a few K on it to know if we need it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I logged 5,000 miles in my first 45 days ...
I put 4,000 on my Dyna in 2 years and thought that was pretty good (especially with 2 months of lockdown taking a bite out of summer riding). But, man! Impresive! You just gave me a goal!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Welcome from SW Florida
Good luck on your new adventure, enjoy the things that are about to come your way.
maybe suspension for you or your wife....more gas for more rides.
I appreciate your (and any others I missed) "wife advice". Or should I call it "good husband advice"? I'm sure your wives appreciate you. It made me realize how many changes my Dad has made to his bike for my Mom. She loves to ride as much as he does. My hope is that my wife will too. You guys helped set me on the right path! Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
4 bolts and it's off is great to know! Honestly, my hope is that once my wife is on it I will rarely be alone. If so, that'll be money well saved. Thanks for that tip!
Based on the feedback here, the Revo A's will probably be my first major upgrade. AFTER I put a few K on it to know if we need it.
I take mine off in 2 steps, as they are wide and easy to scratch the fender cause you cant see what your doing. I take the 4 7/16th nuts off under the T/P lift it off and then remove the mounting. Also you will need a license plate holder they are connected to the bracket that you remove and you will need turn signals. I got the Harley bracket and C/D filler turn signals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep, the thing is, I had been on a 29 year hiatus without a bike, after touring all over the country in the 90’s on a Honda Goldwing 12k-16k per year for 7 or 8 years in a row. When I got my Road Glide in July 2020, I expected to ease back into riding…instead I got it set up the way I want it, and now can’t stay off of it. I put it to bed for winter Thanksgiving weekend with the mileage reading 30,115; so much for easing back into riding!😉
I put 4,000 on my Dyna in 2 years and thought that was pretty good (especially with 2 months of lockdown taking a bite out of summer riding). But, man! Impresive! You just gave me a goal!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I take mine off in 2 steps, as they are wide and easy to scratch the fender cause you cant see what your doing. I take the 4 7/16th nuts off under the T/P lift it off and then remove the mounting. Also you will need a license plate holder they are connected to the bracket that you remove and you will need turn signals. I got the Harley bracket and C/D filler turn signals.
Good point about the license plate. Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yep, the thing is, I had been on a 29 year hiatus without a bike, after touring all over the country in the 90’s on a Honda Goldwing 12k-16k per year for 7 or 8 years in a row. When I got my Road Glide in July 2020, I expected to ease back into riding…instead I got it set up the way I want it, and now can’t stay off of it. I put it to bed for winter Thanksgiving weekend with the mileage reading 30,115; so much for easing back into riding!😉
Nice! One of my selling points to my wife is that this would be my daily vehicle. I'm paying as much for this as a nice car, so it's got to earn it's keep. 😉 So, I'll be putting a lot of time in the saddle!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts