Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My preference has been suspension, handlebars, exhaust, speakers (in that order). That said, why not just ride it as is (hold on to the $$$) for now, get some milage under your belt. Feel her out - you’ll know where your priorities become important to you as a rider. Once you decide what you’d like to replace/add and would like some opinions on specific parts you’re looking at - this forum is more than happy to supply you with endless suggestions and assist you in spending your money 😎.
Jumped in late and did not read all the replies. This seems the consensus as one said windshield. Detachable tour pack is up to you. I always have something in mine so it never leaves my RGL plus I like the extra lights and hidden plate. The wife needs to be comfortable. Performance wise you will spend a ton of money to get to were other brands are off the lot. MY opinion is stage 1 and forget about the engine. You will get off the shelf repairs anywhere if something were to happen and 48 or so mpg on a trip while keeping up with everyone easily. Love my stereo upgrade and now adding more Custom Dynamics lights. But not enough to look like a combine going down the road

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jumped in late and did not read all the replies. This seems the consensus as one said windshield. Detachable tour pack is up to you. I always have something in mine so it never leaves my RGL plus I like the extra lights and hidden plate. The wife needs to be comfortable. Performance wise you will spend a ton of money to get to were other brands are off the lot. MY opinion is stage 1 and forget about the engine. You will get off the shelf repairs anywhere if something were to happen and 48 or so mpg on a trip while keeping up with everyone easily. Love my stereo upgrade and now adding more Custom Dynamics lights. But not enough to look like a combine going down the road
This is a reason I keep mine on too. The toll readers can not see the plate. I do feel bad for not being able to pay my part of our high taxed state but that is life.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
1-Performance
2-Reliability
3-Comfort
4-Looks (Mostly to make it look like 1 and 2 never happened)

To the OP, after you ride some with the tour pack, you find that it's pretty handy for carrying your stuff.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Performance.
Long noted that single guys like two up seats in hopes of picking up a girl someday.
Married guys like solo seats for solo touring.
It ain't right, but tally up your friends and you may notice truth.

I always liked torque cams, intake and exhaust mods. I never ran high enough rpm / HP to justify porting or exotic heads.
I just don't spend that much time above 90 mph, your riding habits may vary.

I like extended mirrors for two reasons. 1) I can see over my shoulders 2) Avoids sunburn on my hands and forearms. I live in Florida where mirrors near skin are not your friend.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
My opinion is if you plan to keep the factory warranty and have a ESP warranty I would spend my money of looks and comfort. When the warranty is up, you would have no restrictions on what performance parts you can install and would be able to maximize your engine capabilities.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. So here's the skinny, a thousand bucks ain't gonna take you very far, and that's the honest truth. Your bike will come pretty well fully loaded as is. I started on an 06 Dyna, 17SGS, and now my 20RGL, each bike getting progressively bigger, heavier and more expensive, lol. My priorities the first two bikes were looking good, sounding good, (stage 3 boom, loud exhaust etc) and going fast. WRONG....This bike, the first thing I did was put on a Klockworks windscreen, the second thing I did was with 5 miles on the bike pulled off the rear shocks and put Legend Revo A's. There's your thousand bucks. You got plenty of time to stage 1 or 2 it, other stuff to make it sound better or look better.
Yes I have the detachable tourpack mount also, because my girl rides with me about 30% of the time, but I do a lot of slow speed cone work and don't have her or the tourpack on, but that came a few months after I got the bike, not a necessity early on.
Dressed up....
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Dressed Down....
Sky Sports equipment Vehicle Motor vehicle Road surface

Dressed Down and Laying Down....Couple extra hundred bucks for drop guards to keep her looking sexy even after laying over.
Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2019 fltru
938 Posts
i have had a 95-103-110-114.the 114 run better than 110 that was pumped-cooler,stronger-i always rode a bike for awhile and then adjust.unless you are racing,the stock ride is enough.i know most want more but in reality only use at best 15% of the time.imo touring bike is just that.it is amazing what a cam will do in m8 motor.i bought a detachable kit on a 2011 shark.never mounted-i prefer the look with than without-just a preference.my bags were full of tools,gloves chaps and 1 lite jacket layer.i needed tourpack to carry stuff.i just sold my super shoxs to a friend with new limited.he is 260-wife is 140 or so.he was happy with stock shocks but new how much i liked the super shox so he bought them.good luck and you will love the ride-i miss my 2 wheels,had to go to 3

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
One point I would make. With the M8's, buying the Limited with the trunk gets you water cooling on the heads and lowers. So it will run better in hot weather, regardless of the mod level, and you'll have more protection from the elements. Not to mention that the wet motors have less issues with poor ring seal and case pressure. Past that, it's not that hard to make the trunk removable. But most people end up not removing them. They are just too handy for carrying stuff in.

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,296 Posts
One point I would make. With the M8's, buying the Limited with the trunk gets you water cooling on the heads and lowers. So it will run better in hot weather, regardless of the mod level, and you'll have more protection from the elements. Not to mention that the wet motors have less issues with poor ring seal and case pressure. Past that, it's not that hard to make the trunk removable. But most people end up not removing them. They are just too handy for carrying stuff in.
Good point. Only down side is no option to remove the lowers.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
2020 Limited.
395 Posts
My wife and I are also 400# plus luggage. Depending on your budget, our best investment has been sent and full suspension.
We have a 2020, but t was the same with an 03, 05, 15. We are always together if the bike moves. Average close to 20k a year.
Save up and do stage 2 rather than 1.IMHO.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am about to buy a 2022 Road Glide Limited and am trying to decide where to spend my money on initial parts. I have had my mind set on a detachable tour-pak, because my wife is a bit nervous about getting on the back. So, I figure, why have the big ol's seat if it isn't getting used? I would rather have a sleak look when I am alone.

But, lately I have been thinking about performance (sound, engine, ride) more.

I am considering a full Stage I upgrade (likely Screamin' Eagle, just because I want to stay 100% HD). I think it will give my bike a nice sound and a bit of pickup at the hgh-end.

On the other hand, having her and gear on the back makes me wonder about suspension. The RGL is better than the RGS (which is the look I would be going for without the pak). But, maybe not good enough (together we are about 400lbs).

So, I'm not sure where to put $1k+. It's in my budget for purchase, but if I do any of them down the line it's a separate hit to the checkbook.
Also, I don't even know if I NEED the Stage I or suspension. The bike might be just fine, as is (which is what my wife says).

So, where would you put your money for the first major upgrade and why?
Ride it for a few months. My money would be spent in this order: 1 - Rear shocks 2 - windshield (mine came with the short OEM version) 3 - Lighting (rear run/stop LED upgrades), the front headlight is awesome, I raised the point of aim and it reaches way out without disrupting on comming traffic. I think they are set up too low from the factory 4 - Performance 5 - Bling, personally not a fan of bling unless it makes it safer, ride better (comfort), or performs better. Good luck

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide special Zephyr Blue. D&D exhaust.
25 Posts
I am about to buy a 2022 Road Glide Limited and am trying to decide where to spend my money on initial parts. I have had my mind set on a detachable tour-pak, because my wife is a bit nervous about getting on the back. So, I figure, why have the big ol's seat if it isn't getting used? I would rather have a sleak look when I am alone.

I am considering a full Stage I upgrade (likely Screamin' Eagle, just because I want to stay 100% HD). I think it will give my bike a nice sound and a bit of pickup at the hgh-end.

On the other hand, having her and gear on the back makes me wonder about suspension. The RGL is better than the RGS (which is the look I would be going for without the pak). But, maybe not good enough (together we are about 400lbs).

So, I'm not sure where to put $1k+. It's in my budget for purchase, but if I do any of them down the line it's a separate hit to the checkbook.
Also, I don't even know if I NEED the Stage I or suspension. The bike might be just fine, as is (which is what my wife says).

I recommend D&D 2:1 Billet cat. I did S&S upgrades. I went to a S&S 128 large cam. Not a bike on the road sounds better. S&S has a good warranty. Air cleaner doesn’t really matter. I prefer S&S or Trax. I got a sleek Lepera seat. I dropped my bike off with 50 miles to my builder. This go around I wanted my ride like I wanted it on day 1.

·
Registered
‘21 Road Glide
23 Posts
I've had my brand new 21' RG for a few months. For me personally, I've approached as follows (to date, anyways):

#1 comfort:
I switched out the seat, bars, grips, floorboards, klockwerks shield. The bike now feels ergonomically set up just for me. Wouldnt have it any other way.

#2 style and function:
You have to make the bike yours, IMO. Small enhancements here and there really can make a huge difference and will set your bike apart from like models parked nearby. You might make a few simple mods and be done. For others, this may never end. Do what you want! This is obviously very subjective, and more important to some than others. Personally, I'm on the side of those who like to customize. Plus IMO a modded bike that's "yours" just puts a huge grin on your face each time you walk up to it.

#3 performance:
It's a new bike, so any plans you have which may impact the warranty merit careful consideration. I have cam, exhaust, intake, and suspension upgrade plans among others. But I haven't done any of these, yet. I'm still getting to know the bike: follow break-in procedures, maint. schedules, etc. I've had 3 bikes in past two years and about 18k miles, and I already ride with so much more confidence on THIS bike than I did when I rode it home from the dealership a few months back. I'll eventually get around to the performance stuff, in fact, a new exhaust and cam are all I think about lately, but I'm not in a rush. The oem power and torque for ME are really good, at least for now.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts

performance/comfort

·
Registered
56 Posts

Do rear suspension. 13" Ohlins is what I did and recommend. The stock rear suspension is garbage. Your bones and your pillion will thank you. My friend did legends and his wife can now ride further and is less achy.
Along with suspension you need highway pegs. So you can stretch out and be comfortable.
Nothing else is necessary, it's just how you want to customize it. I wouldn't waste your money on stage 1. The Milwaukee 8 sounds like a vacuum cleaner and stage 1 with HD parts isn't going to do anything. The change is not worth your dollars. I have the street tuner and the autotuner and mine runs good. That setup raises the red line 1000 rpm I think it thereabouts. That's worth doing. I have a 2020 CVO 117, so that comes with the big sucker intake and street cannons. That setup sounds good in the cockpit listening to the intake and exhaust, but behind the bike it still sounds like a vacuum cleaner. The only way to get sound out of that motor is a cam and or after market slip ons. I had CFR slip ons on my 2018 107. Those sounded deep and good and the only other thing I had done to that bike was a V&H Fuel Pak 3.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here's the real deal, pay attention......
You do whatever you need to do, to make the wife comfortable, that's the most important thing. You want your wife to enjoy riding with you. The more comfortable she becomes, the more pleasure you will get from the bike.
All that other shit, can wait. And here's why.....
If the wife is happy and enjoys riding, she will want things for the bike too..... which is a win-win for you. As you get her comfortable on the bike, complain about the bike needing a little more power. Complain about how it needs to be louder to be safer, doing it this way,. A lot of heartache and a lot of dickering will be saved..... Put the wife first...... I promise you you will be rewarded by doing so.....
I had given the same speech, too many of my friends that have purchased Harleys,
A few of my friends have come up to me and said I thought I would never get my wife on a bike thank you....
I've also had my friends come up to me and say, you're not going to believe this my wife wants to spend money on on the engine making a little bit better , my wife wants me to spend money on the rear suspension to give it a better ride. You see where all this is going right, and the only way that you can plant these seeds, is by making her comfortable on the bike.
It's fail proof, and has demonstrated that it really works....
Good luck on your new adventure, enjoy the things that are about to come your way.
Ha ha, just got rid of the wife 😊. Best choice I ever made. Never going to listen to another woman's BS

41 - 60 of 79 Posts