Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am about to buy a 2022 Road Glide Limited and am trying to decide where to spend my money on initial parts. I have had my mind set on a detachable tour-pak, because my wife is a bit nervous about getting on the back. So, I figure, why have the big ol's seat if it isn't getting used? I would rather have a sleak look when I am alone.

But, lately I have been thinking about performance (sound, engine, ride) more.

I am considering a full Stage I upgrade (likely Screamin' Eagle, just because I want to stay 100% HD). I think it will give my bike a nice sound and a bit of pickup at the hgh-end.

On the other hand, having her and gear on the back makes me wonder about suspension. The RGL is better than the RGS (which is the look I would be going for without the pak). But, maybe not good enough (together we are about 400lbs).

So, I'm not sure where to put $1k+. It's in my budget for purchase, but if I do any of them down the line it's a separate hit to the checkbook.
Also, I don't even know if I NEED the Stage I or suspension. The bike might be just fine, as is (which is what my wife says).

So, where would you put your money for the first major upgrade and why?
The 114 engine is very strong the Stage 1 is not necessary in my opinion as to the rear case found it useful on trips. The suspension is outstanding, I rode a Goldwing & clocked 155k miles and an FJR 1300 which is fast as lighting. The Road Glide is prefect as is no modification are required.
ED

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's the real deal, pay attention......
You do whatever you need to do, to make the wife comfortable, that's the most important thing. You want your wife to enjoy riding with you. The more comfortable she becomes, the more pleasure you will get from the bike.
All that other shit, can wait. And here's why.....
If the wife is happy and enjoys riding, she will want things for the bike too..... which is a win-win for you. As you get her comfortable on the bike, complain about the bike needing a little more power. Complain about how it needs to be louder to be safer, doing it this way,. A lot of heartache and a lot of dickering will be saved..... Put the wife first...... I promise you you will be rewarded by doing so.....
I had given the same speech, too many of my friends that have purchased Harleys,
A few of my friends have come up to me and said I thought I would never get my wife on a bike thank you....
I've also had my friends come up to me and say, you're not going to believe this my wife wants to spend money on on the engine making a little bit better , my wife wants me to spend money on the rear suspension to give it a better ride. You see where all this is going right, and the only way that you can plant these seeds, is by making her comfortable on the bike.
It's fail proof, and has demonstrated that it really works....
Good luck on your new adventure, enjoy the things that are about to come your way.
Texas Smoker is Right On. Comfortable seat usually wins first (Mean City Cycle did excellent rebuild- Iron Butt for rider & passenger $475) then maybe windshield (Klock Werks pro Touring) for better look and function.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am about to buy a 2022 Road Glide Limited and am trying to decide where to spend my money on initial parts. I have had my mind set on a detachable tour-pak, because my wife is a bit nervous about getting on the back. So, I figure, why have the big ol's seat if it isn't getting used? I would rather have a sleak look when I am alone.

I am considering a full Stage I upgrade (likely Screamin' Eagle, just because I want to stay 100% HD). I think it will give my bike a nice sound and a bit of pickup at the hgh-end.

On the other hand, having her and gear on the back makes me wonder about suspension. The RGL is better than the RGS (which is the look I would be going for without the pak). But, maybe not good enough (together we are about 400lbs).

So, I'm not sure where to put $1k+. It's in my budget for purchase, but if I do any of them down the line it's a separate hit to the checkbook.
Also, I don't even know if I NEED the Stage I or suspension. The bike might be just fine, as is (which is what my wife says).

I’ve been riding a long time I always focus on suspension first, handling is everything, especially if you plan to carry gear and a passenger. Make sure the bike handles, tracks straight and stops when you want it to… the rest is just gravy.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I bought a RG-Limited in 2020, I mainly did looks upgrade. It has 114 standard with is plenty for me, I did lowered it with Legend shocks. I did Rinehart shocks and Screaming eagle air intake which gives about 35% more air intake, had to get a tuner installed, runs like a dream plenty of power. I did plenty of looks upgrade. As off now I am happy with the looks & speed. I had the tourpak redone so that I can remove it and attach it when I wanted to. I attach the tourpak when I go on overnight trips. As for Shocks I think you can't go wrong with LEGEND shocks. If you want more than 114 than go for the upgrade but also look into the HD 131 crate engine :) - good luck brother.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Add a third and forth categories if you plan on riding any distance: COMFORT & SAFETY

We ride a lot. 26K+ yr for past few years. Gear and accessories that help cagers feel and see me on the road, like exhaust and horn and lighting are a high priority for me. Anything to be able to help distracted drivers know you’re on the road with them. GoreTex Rain Gear, Gauntlet Gloves, and good PIN-LOCK equipped Full Face Helmet for Rainy Days. CARDO COMMs. Load up on every Custom Dynamics Light kit and be seen. MotoHorn train horns cannot be ignored by anybody when you press the button. After added exhaust decibels, the horn tops off the ”be heard” element under safety. BONUS: I like TPMS too so I know my tire pressure is always optimal. Plus it’ll add lots of miles to your tire life.

COMFORT Means more miles with less fatigue. SEAT! (I love the Road Zeppelin) Wind Shield (I like custom Freedom WS) Bars at just right height to keep blood flowing and back/shoulder fatigue lower. Suspension is HUGE! Later model H-D Touring models have improved a lot, but still no match for some upgraded suspension. I like Progressive, but there are other great products out there too. Keep in mind that I’m 6-6” and 325lbs riding two-up so my shock needs are a-typical for sure!

That’s my list. My priorities. Performance comes next. On late model M8, you must be careful messing with CAM/Exhaust unless you are willing to implement an aftermarket tuner. I like the PowerVision after cam/full exhaust/intake and air filt Change out. Passing at 75 or 80 no longer requires a downshift. I have various tunes for time of year temp/humidity and for long trips I’ll opt for better fuel mileage to improve my range between tankfuls. The ultimate in flexibility to be able to flash your ECM on the road. Plus it gives you tremendous insight about your bike and helps to troubleshoot if anything goes wrong.

I don’t think my bike is ugly by any stretch. In fact I love my ROOBIE DOOBIE 2020. I keep it clean-ish, but not much else other than stock paint scheme.

That’s my list and why. Hopefully it makes sense.

GL,

K

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special - Eagle Eye
2 Posts

Since the Tour Pak is detachable seems like it would be seldom used I would recommend Not going with HD, but what I did and get it Aftermarket (I got mine from Amazon). Tourpak, quick release hardware out the door for less than $300. (assuming you already have the 4-point hardware)

Save the rest of the money for Performance/suspension

just my $0.02
Ken

Reactions: MJacobsen

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,296 Posts
Ha ha, just got rid of the wife 😊. Best choice I ever made. Never going to listen to another woman's BS
Until you have a few beers and start saying 'I love you'. Probably cheaper to rent by the hour in the long run :unsure:

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
783 Posts
I believe with a little common sense and prioritizing you should Be able to achieve both
My zephyer blue 2020 RGS at 1000 miles I did a stage 2 TQ cam kit.Black push rod tubes and lifter blocks An affordable bump That I will not go past.CD Turn signals front and rear tri bar w/ brake light.Ciro bag blades.
Color matched Fang spoiler with chopped engine guard and light bezel included with purchase Really sets this bike off. Currently inner flaring out for color match paint To be finished with black gage bezels.The MoCo needs to redefine black.Doing a black CVO shift rod,black powder trans rear shift rod connector And kick stand.
Ride it get to know it. Before you start.With 8k on the OD the bars, shocks, seat, Sound and windscreen are OEM.
Congrats you will have a blast.At 65 In the Midwest I have the gift of good health and am allowed two Christmases each year Dec25 and April 15th bike pick up Day !

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Agree with the both thought process. However. You don't have to do anything until you experience something. My BMW seat sucked. So I changed it. The stock Harley-Davidson seat sucked so I changed it. However my riding style is 10-13 hours in the saddle. So stock not good. Same with handle bars. Stereo I upgraded speakers and amp. But BT was functional. best part was a better mapping program via Android auto. I fine all stock mapping services suck. Stage1 was purely for a different sound. Maybe got a smidgen more response for the electronic throttle. All manufacturers have the same issue. Shocks best part got rid of front end dive. But that also is not necessary. Rear shocks adjustment on after market works better for me between highway and curvy roads but must be severe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I really appreciate everyone's advice! Super helpful folks around here.
I went to visit her the other day. It felt good to sit on her!

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

After all the advice (and feel free to keep it coming), I am going to just ride her, "as is". That was definitely the most prevelant advice.

When I take her in for her 1k checkup, I may add/change something. I'll keep that going for the 5k, 10k, etc. If I decide something needs to be changed, I'll do it while when she is in the shop anyway. I'll learn her ways and grow with her.

And, of course, I will listen to the wife as well. While it's my bike, I want her to love it too. I want her on it with me as much as possible, so her comfort and happiness are essential. I have already made some major adjustments to my plans based on her input. There are certain things I have my heart set on, but I'll still listen to her.

But, on a somewhat separate note, I'm a chrome man. So, I will add chrome whenever I have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket. No doubt about that!

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
783 Posts
I really appreciate everyone's advice! Super helpful folks around here.
I went to visit her the other day. It felt good to sit on her!

View attachment 435428

After all the advice (and feel free to keep it coming), I am going to just ride her, "as is". That was definitely the most prevelant advice.

When I take her in for her 1k checkup, I may add/change something. I'll keep that going for the 5k, 10k, etc. If I decide something needs to be changed, I'll do it while when she is in the shop anyway. I'll learn her ways and grow with her.

And, of course, I will listen to the wife as well. While it's my bike, I want her to love it too. I want her on it with me as much as possible, so her comfort and happiness are essential. I have already made some major adjustments to my plans based on her input. There are certain things I have my heart set on, but I'll still listen to her.

But, on a somewhat separate note, I'm a chrome man. So, I will add chrome whenever I have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket. No doubt about that!
Partnering with your spouse is a big help .Knowing that this whole thing is based on. Indiscriminate piss money.I got a Harley Visa as soon as they were issued x3 points for dealer purchases.Other benefits as well I am nothing more than an enthusiast but I am laser focused on the bottom line. As of this writing I have my inner flaring out for paint. Dealer removed, shipped will receive and install 1100.00 BUT I have 400 in chrome cash to reduce the cost to 700.00 the HD parts book has the box of color matched replacements at almost 1600. HD visa is my best accessory. Enjoy

·
Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate. Added "jewelry" as some say
2,406 Posts
Wouldn't buying the non black out be a better choice???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats on the new ride U made a wise choice for 2 up riding.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts