Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im not quite sure if this falls into the paint section or DIY section so ill just throw it in here.. With a wife and 1 yr old rugrat at home and basically on a single family income, i know my budget for this bike is going to be reasonably low for the time being. With that in mind, I still wanted to black out my forks dammit! so i took to the interwebz and ordered some 3m gloss black wrap.

I managed to wrap the upper cowbells and it ended up decent enough. it was the lowers that got me. I'm sure some of you would be able to do it but i ran out of patience and paid a dude 80 bucks to knock it out. Only caveat to the lowers would be that youll have to paint (rattlecan) the caliper mounts and fender mounts. I would also include the lower axle area if you're feeling froggy. I decided to hold off on that part and have black axle nut covers on the way.

Now guys, we all know this wont hold up as well as powdercoat but at about 15 bucks a roll, its worth screwing around a bit.

cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Before I had my front end powdercoated, I had my cowbells wrapped with carbon fiber vinyl and I Plasti Dipped the lower forks.

I also Plasti Dipped both rims.

It turned out really good and the Dip held up very well.

Just another option if you want to blacken things out.

Here's an old picture down below.

My bike has changed in so many ways.

Swomack

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I had my front end powdercoated, I had my cowbells wrapped with carbon fiber vinyl and I Plasti Dipped the lower forks.

Swomack

hey Swomack! you actually gave me the idea lol . i just went with the whole fork though.. in all honesty, i probably would have been better off painting/plastidipping the lowers as i had to paint the fender mounts anyhow. but well see how it holds up. i have dabbled with plastidip though. i did my 2016 f150 wheels and they turned out great.

bike is sweet btw!

·
Registered
6,440 Posts

Swomack

hey Swomack! you actually gave me the idea lol . i just went with the whole fork though.. in all honesty, i probably would have been better off painting/plastidipping the lowers as i had to paint the fender mounts anyhow. but well see how it holds up. i have dabbled with plastidip though. i did my 2016 f150 wheels and they turned out great.

bike is sweet btw!
The Plasti-Dip worked well for sure and once again, it's a great way to blacken out parts on the cheap.

If you don't like it you just simply peel it off.

Thanks for the remark about my sled.

Swomack

·
Registered
684 Posts
DP, that looks really nice and its great you found a way to do it on the cheap.

Jesus Scott, the Shark really does look different now, but I have to be honest, I always dug the way you did the red on the bike before the ummm errrr forced upgrades. Just enough to make it stand out but still tasteful. Now it just looks badass.

Also this is one of the things I love about the Tank. One person does something, posts it up, throws pics to show it off, and then someone else sees it, and says, heck, that looks sweet, I'm gonna try it.

Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DP, that looks really nice and its great you found a way to do it on the cheap.

Jesus Scott, the Shark really does look different now, but I have to be honest, I always dug the way you did the red on the bike before the ummm errrr forced upgrades. Just enough to make it stand out but still tasteful. Now it just looks badass.

Also this is one of the things I love about the Tank. One person does something, posts it up, throws pics to show it off, and then someone else sees it, and says, heck, that looks sweet, I'm gonna try it.

Mike
i have to agree, i really liked swomack's tasteful red pinstriping. And thats what forums are for! show off your crap and give out ideas lol the wrap cost about 15 bucks on amazon for a 1'x5' sheet. worth a shot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts