Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrapped my Catalytic converter with DEI's Titanium heat wrap and it dropped the direct and radiant temps almost 200 degrees. Not sure if it will have any effect on other parts of engine or not, but it did make a noticeable difference in the radiated heat when stopped. The ETMS still kicks in when idling for too long, such as at a stop light, but the actual heat from the cat seems to be lower. Temp was measured using a thermo-couple connected to my DVM. Pre-wrap temp: direct = ~660 degrees, indirect = ~ 500 degrees measured at the center of cat on the inboard side. Post-wrap temps: direct ~ 450 degrees, indirect = ~ 340 degrees (engine idling for all tests). Need to maybe try wrapping all of the exhaust pipes or just go ahead and get the American Custom Exhaust Head pipe. I thought I could handle the heat from the cat, but its just not worth being uncomfortable if you don't have to be. I was wanting to keep it mostly stock for as long as possible since i have the extended warranty, but that heat has to go!

D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops...wrong thread.:eek:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Were you able to put the stock heat shield over the wrap?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Same question as Grind

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, there is enough length on the worm-drive-clamp to re-install the stock heat shield.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I wrapped mine in cardboard and put it in my garage storage area. Dealer did the pipe swap so I EXPECT warranty to be honored.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I wrapped a set of FuelMoto 2 into 1 in the same heat wrap. As stated here you can put the heat shield back over the pipes. The only one where it was tough was right in the area where the pipe comes together and that might just be how I wrapped it. Fair warning on any wrapping of pipes, they will smoke for a short period of time (two to three good rides) from the wrapped area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts