Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a new paint project on the drawing board for 2014.

Will buy pieces that you have for spares or paint damaged, must be structurally sound and straight, any colour is fine.

saddlebag lids
2008 up fuel tank (6 US gallon) guts not required

have 2005 Scarlet Red 5 gallon fuel tank to sell or trade

Ok, its coming together, have assembled these parts; crimson red saddle bags, white sidecovers, blue outer fairing, john deere front fender!

still looking for fuel tank 08 and up, and saddlebag lids.

Please PM me with your part and asking price, shipping will be to Montana.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
1st Bump...............

revised, complete set no longer required, have acquired saddlebags and outer fairing.

Still looking for sidecovers, saddlebag lids and 08 up fuel tank.

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
Send pcpain a PM and see if he might happen to have anything at the dealership. He typically has great prices on this kind of stuff. We bought an outer fairing from him recently pretty cheap.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tracy, gonna do that with the local stealers here for the same thing see what I can turn up.

Tom, no JD green and yellow on this one, think pearl white with a "panel" effect on the sides. What do you want for the fender?

When I get the rest of the tins I will take a picture, right now it reminds me of that Johnny Cash song about the cadillac he stole "1 piece at a time".

Illegal Alien a.k.a.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sidecovers

PM Sent, thanks.

Anybody with some take off saddlebag lids, left and right, any color? Hardware not required, just the lids.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have acquired black saddlebag lids locally thanks to the tip from Tracy checked out my local dealer and got a set of black lids, left and right ( I know some of you were thinking I would buy two of the same side) in great shape.

Was very cool I got into the inner sanctum of the take off room, lots of newer stuff for the newer frame from 09 up, their collection of older stuff was pretty picked over.

Now looking for;

-08 and up fuel tank any color
-03-08 FL rear fender any color

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Is this the look you're going for? :D
Cat's outta the bag now eh! Yes that is what I am aiming for. Having issue with the real wood veneer at the moment, trying to get a shape that will adhere to the sidecovers and not leave any creases or bubbles.

I gave up on fitting to the side of the tank, too many compound curves. My painter said "cut scallops in it make it flat" that is just plain ugly too me. I have another idea for that one, less wood but will look really cool.

The outer fairing on the sides looks fairly straight but is giving me fits as well, compound curves there as well.

Adhesion is the next factor, they can glue a Boeing together to reduce the weight of the rivets but you can't get wood veneer to adhere to ABS plasitc.

Wait till you see the glove box doors and saddle bag latches, solid wood, no veneer there. I am trying to decide between a butcher block look or birds eye maple (it is a Canadian bike eh).

Then we come to stain color for the wood. What will look the best against the pearl tri-coat white?

Won't see this project at SWIII, showing up with the rootbeer tins this year.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are pretty cool. Is that real wood or painted, I can't tell from the pictures?

I was thinking of taking out the insert on my dash and using it for a pattern and replacing with a piece of the same wood used for the latches and on the bags. Keeping the chrome dash and gas lid.

I was inspired by an old boat that my grandfather owned before my time. I saw a picture of it recently and wow what a boat. It was styled after the old wood strip Chris Craft from the 30's before the war. His boat was made after the war in Canada but it was gorgeous. Dark wood with a white vinyl interior and chrome gauges on the dash, chrome wheel and chrome motor controls.

I sure wish that was still around in the family somewhere, it would be a fantastic piece of history.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I think they're just painted. I just came across them while searching for different dashes.

This sounds like a very interesting project, from a very cool inspiration. I'll be interested to watch the progress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts