Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it happen to me at around 75 MPH on I-95 luckily i was in the far right lane so i was able to coast onto the shoulder and had about another 20 miles to get home, which i had to do in 3rd gear on I-95..

Then it happen to another friend of mines on his 15 RG on July 4th , he got stuck up in the mountains that evening, oh and it rained all night on him getting home

Then another friend has a 15 SG, it happened to him

and you ask well what is it...............

and all 3 of us had to get these parts

The foot shifters just flap up & down , the threads were stripped and im sure it had happened to others because the parts guy at the Harley stealership told me so , said he hoped he had the parts in stock , sounds like another recall happening soon, so of course i had to use Loctite on the new parts...smdh

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
I am very glad I have no desire for a new bike. Other that the ever so popular compensator issues my 09 has been great. It would seem the quality control department at the MoCo has been on vacation for the last few years.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had the rear shifter come loose and fall off (somewhere) on my '12. Nothing ever stripped out though and a little loctite set it right.

I hear ya on the QC. A guy we know had oil pissing out the intake of his brand new RGS but the time he got home from the dealership. I thought it was overfilled. Turned out one of the Pistons was like Swiss cheese and oil was pouring up through the cavities in the casting.

And don't get me started on warped rotors.......

Reactions: BlueBagger12

·
Registered
898 Posts
Seems like if you have the shift lever pinched tight enough on the shaft it could not strip and fall off. The employee's that are assembling the bikes must not be tightening the shift levers tight enough. Another QC issue.

Reactions: Swomack

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Should not come as a surprise that every single bolt on ANY v-Twin needs to be checked and checked and loctitied if need be - I have had shit "rumble loose" on Ducati's, Suzukis (The TL Line), KTMs and even Harleys.........regardless if brand new or 8 years old

I dont do it as much as I should but I use to be very diligent in my "pre-Ride" checks of these kinds of things - Good reminder here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
THis is a known issue happened to me and I was stuck in 6th gear at least close to a dealership had the same comment "hope we still have some parts left"

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
THis is a known issue happened to me and I was stuck in 6th gear at least close to a dealership had the same comment "hope we still have some parts left"
Another "weak" spot engineering flaw the MOCO won't fess up to as a flaw. I am on my 3rd $00.52 bolt #1 in the diagram. I am trying an experiment, I moved toe shifter up and am using it exclusively. 1st time in 20 years I am up shifting. As lightly as I like to kick down, I can tell already I am using less force with toe than heal. Rear shaft is starting to wear, less expensive than changing shaft.

Keep you posted....

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
This happened to by buddy a couple of weeks ago on the way home from our trip to Moonshine Burger.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
heel shifter parted company on my 13 RGU at 1500 miles. Started the ride, it was there. Finished the ride it wasn't. Go figure!

·
Super Moderator
1,841 Posts
Quick Fix

Chew gum? The thin tinfoil from a gum wrapper can be wrapped around the shift shaft in an emergency. Often 1 thicknesss or maybe two layers is all that is needed to "tighten up" the interference fit on the splines until the shaft or shift levers are replaced.

This only works if you actually have the 52 cent bolt to begin with.

Calgaryglide

Reactions: madmat

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had #15 go bad on me it stripped and I had to shift by lifting my leg up to the handle bars to get the bike through its gears. I limped home and got it to the dealer the next day. They told me it was the 3rd that week that they had to replace under warranty. I have a 15RGS with just over 8k miles on it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Never had this issues on my older Harleys. My 2012 linkage between the trainy and primary came lose no stripped so medium grade lock tide and problem solved.
Seem like many issues with the spline shaft stripping off.
China cheaper parts...
Not impressed with all the issues going on with the new HD generation. Have made lots of changes to mine improving the weak areas, a keeper for sure.
Did some mention warped rotors issues... HD doing nothing about it. Well that be another topic.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
That sucks. I guess that is why Harley and BMW rate worst in reliability, but best in customer satisfaction. A lot of nuisance issues, but not enough for folks to just get a Honda.

Every brand of bike, and every model has some type of common thing that needs to be addressed. The ones that make it difficult or impossible to get home are the ones that suck the most.

Having multiple bikes is a must if you want to ride every day. I always have a bike on the lift, taking care of something.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
So it happen to me at around 75 MPH on I-95 luckily i was in the far right lane so i was able to coast onto the shoulder and had about another 20 miles to get home, which i had to do in 3rd gear on I-95..

Then it happen to another friend of mines on his 15 RG on July 4th , he got stuck up in the mountains that evening, oh and it rained all night on him getting home

Then another friend has a 15 SG, it happened to him

and you ask well what is it...............

and all 3 of us had to get these parts

The foot shifters just flap up & down , the threads were stripped and im sure it had happened to others because the parts guy at the Harley stealership told me so , said he hoped he had the parts in stock , sounds like another recall happening soon, so of course i had to use Loctite on the new parts...smdh
If your talking about #1 loosening and #16 stripping, a lot of good reviews on the( Better Lever ).

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
I'm riding my 4th Twin Cam bike, have not had one even come loose, let alone strip or fall off.
Maybe it's because the first thing I do to all of them is remove the rear shift lever??
So basically your using it twice as much as a heal toe rider. Where's the logic ?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
So basically your using it twice as much as a heal toe rider. Where's the logic ?

The logic is that when you use ONLY a toe shifter you pull up gently with your toe to shift. With a heel shifter you are putting downforce with basically your entire leg. Even if you try and shift lightly with the heel shifter you are still putting much more torque on the splines than you do using your toe. Agree with this logic or not I have the same experience as tdkkart in that I have never had the issue with 3 different touring bikes and over 150k miles ridden with just the toe shifter. I am also very anal about checking bolts too so that could have something extra to do with it.

I will agree that it is a poor design and materials from MOCO though.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
The logic is that when you use ONLY a toe shifter you pull up gently with your toe to shift. With a heel shifter you are putting downforce with basically your entire leg. Even if you try and shift lightly with the heel shifter you are still putting much more torque on the splines than you do using your toe. Agree with this logic or not I have the same experience as tdkkart in that I have never had the issue with 3 different touring bikes and over 150k miles ridden with just the toe shifter. I am also very anal about checking bolts too so that could have something extra to do with it.

I will agree that it is a poor design and materials from MOCO though.
Didn't the ops inside lever (toe shifter) strip ?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My primary logic has nothing to do with the shifters, or shifting, and more to do with leaving myself more room to shuffle my foot around on the floorboard.
I learned to ride shifting up and down with my toe, and have been doing it for so long it's just automatic, so it's totally unnatural to use my heal.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts