Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washed the bike this afternoon, just a garden hose , no high pressure, like I always do. Went to go for a ride & saw my speedo & tach quit working. Showed "bus er" & radio was on but wouldn't function. I've had the radio not work in aux for about 5 minutes then started working before. Not this time. Got home pulled the plug on the tsm, cleaned & lubed. "Bus er" cleared , bike runs fine now but still no radio. Pulled the radio, checked & cleaned/lubed all plugs, blew some air through it . Radio powers on , backlight works, fm shows or shows aux when I plug in the ipod, clock works. I cannot however get any controls on the face or handlebars to work or any sound...give it more time or is the radio shot?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Really hope you didn't get wtr in your left housing (old funny, here)
really don't know, did all that and no go, could be EOL for it, give it a couple days, if causing at it doesn't work, time to upgrade?

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
I always lay a towel over the radio area when washing, just wipe it down after. The only time it gets wet is while riding in the rain.

If I were you, I'd let it dry a week before considering replacement.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I'd hate to get caught in the rain with that problem looming. Wish I had a fix for you. Good luck!
Funny thing is I've ridden with Hoosier boarder for three hours in a monsoon and he didn't have any trouble. It was a couple of years ago though. It was raining so hard all I could see was his taillight and if you were thirsty all you had to do was open your mouth and let the rain running of your helmet and glasses pour into your mouth.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My recently installed hang wired amp quit working after I washed the bike for the first time and then it came back on after a day's ride. Did it again after sitting out in the rain one night, then ok after a few hours on the road. They said it might be water getting into the unused link ports. I'm going to seal everything up and put some plastic over it as well.

My buddy's audio controls recently quit after his dealer detailed his bike. Still not working 2 weeks later.

Hope yours dries out.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Had mine in a dealer for warranty once.New washboy.On the way home,soap bubbles came out of the fairing.Worked when it dried out,soon lost the display a week later.I think these HK's are real sensitive to water,but the seal wasn't on right from the factory on the original radio.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
There must be a problem somewhere! I power wash my bike all the time, been doing it since 2008 and never had a problem with anything except the radio display and it works fine after it dries out after a couple of hours.
I took the faceplate off the head unit and bent in the pins a little and put some dielectric grease in there and the radio display work even after the power wash now.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a good buy on ebay for a new takeoff. Put it in & have my tunes back. Looks like it was some water damage after all.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Got a good buy on ebay for a new takeoff. Put it in & have my tunes back. Looks like it was some water damage after all.
Just remember, your a biker, not a fireman. Easy with the hose :) . Glad to see you got her figured out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts