Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Road Glide Custom and the bike bottoms out on a regular, especially when I put the tour pack on it. I am a big guy ,:confused:but I have seen a lot bigger and more cargo going up the rode. The rear shocks stink, I have tried many different pressures even Max; no luck. The dealer isnt going to do anything, so I am looking for the most versitile shocks. I want adjustability, ride 2 up w/ gear etc. Any ideas????????

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Check out Howard Messner's Ohlins at MotorcycleMetal.com. You can call Howard at 3am and he'll answer. He is the man when it comes to Ohlins.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ohlins is the shit! Had it on my sports bikes.
are they better than Progressive? I need to upgrade suspension too thinking Progressive 440 or if the money tree blooms, the 940'S

·
Registered
740 Posts
My friends call me two up, pushing 280, and I ride loaded with no problems. Your shocks are better than mine so there has to be a problem. Warranty is your friend, take it in!!!

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I have a 2011 Road Glide Custom and the bike bottoms out on a regular, especially when I put the tour pack on it. I am a big guy ,:confused:but I have seen a lot bigger and more cargo going up the rode. The rear shocks stink, I have tried many different pressures even Max; no luck. The dealer isnt going to do anything, so I am looking for the most versitile shocks. I want adjustability, ride 2 up w/ gear etc. Any ideas????????
How much weight you talking about ?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I agree,.. could be something wrong. Those tiny junky plastic air lines HD put on are worthless and leak at almost every connection. May just need a little tightening up or maybe a shock is blown. Never put more then 40 PSI or you will blow a hose out.

By the way, Im 250 and the ol' lady is maybe 130. We only bottom it out when the air pressure gets down to 20-25 fully loaded tour pak and saddlebags.

·
Registered
539 Posts
are they better than Progressive? I need to upgrade suspension too thinking Progressive 440 or if the money tree blooms, the 940'S
Not sure. Never used progressive. But I loved ohlins on my sport bikes. Money well spent. Going around the track the first time on my sportbike was a night & day difference. There's a reason they come stock on Ducati's. Top of the line.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Check out Howard Messner's Ohlins at MotorcycleMetal.com. You can call Howard at 3am and he'll answer. He is the man when it comes to Ohlins.
Agreed. Howard is a very interesting cat to talk to. I've used Progressives on my last bagger, and they're way better than stock. I'm still on the fence with what I'm going to replace the "shock absorbers" that come from the factory....I think they suck. Either buying Ohlins from Howard, or Race Tech from a guy I know, who is the Alaska rep for them. As bad as the factory shocks are, you should not be bottoming out that easily, something is wrong. I'm 245, and even two up, we don't bottom out.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I agree,.. could be something wrong. Those tiny junky plastic air lines HD put on are worthless and leak at almost every connection. May just need a little tightening up or maybe a shock is blown. Never put more then 40 PSI or you will blow a hose out.

By the way, Im 250 and the ol' lady is maybe 130. We only bottom it out when the air pressure gets down to 20-25 fully loaded tour pak and saddlebags.

the newer shocks can go with higher pressure than that.

if you're a 'big guy' and don't need the lower stance, you could easily get a set of 13'' take offs, which would be the stock height for an ultra, well, anything but a street glide or road glide custom. the newer ones (09 up) are supposed to have been revalved and ride better.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I use Progressive 940's. Set on their lightest setting for me. I ride solo, with a Tour Pak (King) and usually quite light. I'll have to see how well that works if I load it up. I weigh in at around 180.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
At stock ride height and at the correct air pressure for two up riding, which is around 25 PSI, me and my wife can ride two up and not scrub. I'm @ 260 and my wife is not a small woman.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I don't know... I still have the stock ones on my RGU and did a trip to Switzerland 2 up and both saddlebags and TourPak full (will 3 peoples crap in them and my Netbook), I never felt like the stock shocks were at their limit. Matter of fact I thought they were doing great. Might be since my last bike was a 2006 Sportster Custom (XL1200C) with RoadKing shocks on the back and stock in the front. Or does the RGC have other shocks on them then the RGU?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
310lbs bike will bottom on big dips, if I add the tour pack and wife I cant accelerate hard or anything, makes bad noises. She cant ride until I get something done.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Or does the RGC have other shocks on them then the RGU?
the ultra has the stock 13'' shocks, while the rgc has the 12'' shocks, like the street glide.

i checked in the 2010 owners manual, and it says you can go up to 50psi. i have the bitchin baggers modified, running 11-1/4'' and have 35 in them. will still bottom occasionally, but i think the only thing that wouldn't bottom on these la roads is solid struts....

310lbs bike will bottom on big dips, if I add the tour pack and wife I cant accelerate hard or anything, makes bad noises. She cant ride until I get something done.
what will make the bad noises? the engine, tranny, primary? suspension?

·
Registered
27 Posts
There's a company outside of Atlanta selling suspension. They are big in the racing industry. The name of the company is Traxxion Dynamics. Their speciality is front suspension. but, they started selling an Italian made shock called Bitubos. I have them on three motorcycles and I love them. They're not dirt cheap, but, they work. You can adjust pre-load, suspension and rebound. Pre-load is adjusted by spring. Suspension and rebound by a gas cartridge. I think different springs are available for different weight riders.

Not much information on these shocks on their web site but, here is the link. Call and ask for Dan.

www.traxxion.com

I haven't bought a set in a few years, but, best I remember cost is $700 or so.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Even at 310 lbs the bike souldn't bottom out. Are you sure the shocks are holding air ? Also riding two up and them making noise when you hit it sounds like a blown shock not necessarily the air side either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Make sure the shocks are not leaking. On my '10 rg I had the same issues, then I noticed oil on my garage floor by the rear tire, the right rear shock was leaking oil.
when I pumped it up it would not hold pressure, leaked down slowly. dealer replaced it, much better.
:)

W

·
0 Posts
My friend had the same thing on his 2011 RGC and fixed them in seconds. Slide the keeper rings back from the line, push the line in till it stops and then snug up the keeper ring. PROBLEM SOLVED for him. I also found a keeper that was backed off on one of my shocks on my RGU. Works fine and no bottoming out,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts