Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a new head unit which I also included the XM Tuner and mounted the XM antenna right on top of the head unit ,tucked right up under the dash hidden out of the way, well apparently it is hidden to well reception sucks and cuts out quite frequently . I was so happy to get rid of my dash mounted, Sirius receiver and antenna, now looks as though I will have to take the front end back off and mount the antenna somewhere else. MY question is is the antenna wire small enough to squeeze thru where the fairing mounts right in the front center and mount the antenna on the dash right behind the windshield, or will the cord create to much of a gap and not allow the front fairing to attach properly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I removed the edge trim from the front edge of the inner fairing and made a slot with a drill bit the size of the cord to slide into past the edge of the trim when reinstalled. A little black rtv and I thought all would be good.

I have a dark windshield and I located the antenna at the bottom behind it. No reception. I had reception in the garage with outer fairing off but cut in and out. I moved the antenna up to the edge just above the radio. With the outer fairing and windshield on I'm still getting no signal outside. I'm wondering if it's the forward angle of it.

I am also curious to others' installed location and was going to post this question when I seen this post.

Bill

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have a portable xm unit, I drilled a hole in the glove box and ran all the wires into the fairing with just the connectors coming out of the hole and I velcroed the antenna on top of the glove box, I hardly see it and it works as good as when I had a handlebar mount on my other bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
803 Posts
I went pretty much the same route as Bill99 and it's worked very well for me. I didn't take the trim piece off, just notched it slightly with a utility knife, ran the wire in the notch, and mounted the antenna just high enough on the dash so I can see it is still there. I occasionally lose signal in some areas where a lot of trees overhang, but it is very seldom and only lasts a fraction of a second - not even long enough to get the lost signal message on the radio - just a quick cut out and comes right back in. I have no issues around town at all.

Maybe your XM unit is bad??? I had to return my first one, couldn't even get a good signal sitting in the driveway and constantly got the "check antenna" message, which I learned is the kiss of death for XM.

·
The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
12,965 Posts
I had the XM antenna for my Alpine CDE 149 BT under the fairing and it worked for a while but I saw that it dropped off.
I then moved it to the outside of the fairing pulling it through by notching the fairing trim with no problem.
It worked for a while but kept dropping off.
So I finally moved it to the rear on the right side fascia running the wire under the tank and pulling it through the grommet on the fascia and mounting the antenna with 3M plastic Velcro.
I found it worked there the best.
But it eventually dropped off from there too.
I got so frustrated I called Sirius XM and had them resend a signal at least five times before someone took the time to check and told me they were having trouble with the satellites and certain radios.
For what it's worth, I have XM on my Zumo Road tech and the antenna is mounted under the fairing and it works great.
I'm wondering if there may be a problem with the XM module hooked up to my Alpine.
Time will tell.
If you're having trouble getting the XM signal give them a call and have them send you a refresh signal.
Best of Luck to All.
Mike U.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.